Good neck match for a Gibson 500T

What's Hot
skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 225
Thoughts on a cheap neck humbucker to match a Gibson 500T? Obviously needs to be a bit higher output but looking at the second hand market/Tonerider/Iron Gear end of the price spectrum. Was wondering about a Tone Rider Generator?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4308
    edited April 2017
    I had the generators in a les Paul neck and bridge and found them to be very muddy 

I'm currently a big fan of the irongear pups myself and have them in several guitars.  Extremely good value for money too 
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 225
    I had the generators in a les Paul neck and bridge and found them to be very muddy 

I'm currently a big fan of the irongear pups myself and have them in several guitars.  Extremely good value for money too 
    What IronGears are you running? Anything paired with a hot ceramic at the bridge?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Be patient and you'll easily find a second hand Gibson 496R - the original match for the 500T - for £30-£40. They don't command high prices because they're the pickups people usually take out when they want to put something more 'vintage sounding' or 'hand made' in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    I put Tonerider Classic IV's in all mine.  I think they are excellent pickups.
  • 496R works and is often cheap on eBay, they seem to go for less than 500Ts t times too