Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan — In Session - Pure Awesome

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10073
    edited April 2017
    Very nice! Ashamed to admit I've never consciously listened to any Albert King before - he's rather good isn't he? Interesting that Eric Clapton often cites Freddie King as a major influence, but listening to this I'd say there's probably more of Albert than Freddie in Eric's playing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    HAL9000 said:
    Very nice! Ashamed to admit I've never consciously listened to any Albert King before - he's rather good isn't he? Interesting that Eric Clapton often cites Freddie King as a major influence, but listening to this I'd say there's probably more of Albert than Freddie in Eric's playing.
    I agree about his influence on EC - he's probably SRV's biggest 'blues' influence too.

Great clip - two great guitar players....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    I think it's Strange Brew where Clapton does an almost note for note Albert King pastiche.

I like the Stax period Albert, some of the live stuff is hellishly self indulgent and some of the later studio stuff is pretty much bad disco. But a very distinctive guitarist certainly. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    edited April 2017
    Have to say I struggle with Albert King.  Mainly the later stuff which is pretty awful, but, as stated, it does all tend toward self indulgence.

At work, yesterday, I listened to Freddie King all day on youtube and, I have to say, I can see his influence on EC far more than Albert's.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Great album and I feel SRV at his best in that he appears to be playing within himself for whatever reason - awesome
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3691
    Albert King's best live. I've never really liked his studio albums. Check out his "Blues at Sunrise" album for a fantastic tone and superlative playing.

I lent this DVD to my dad who is a massive blues purist and he rated it above SRV's "El Mocambo" as both guitarists are playing for each other rather than an audience.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1101
    I love this video, I'm a massive Albert King fan. I love his and Freddie kings work in the funk era personally.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1101
    Albert King's best live. I've never really liked his studio albums. Check out his "Blues at Sunrise" album for a fantastic tone and superlative playing.
    That one is a cracker 'takin' blues' is another badass live Albert King Album, along with Live Wire/ Blues power.