Nuts. And adhesive.

What's Hot
Superglue ok to glue a nut in? Just an Allparts pre-cut number into an Allparts neck.

Ta muchly.
"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    its perfect as long as you don't use too much

2 small drops at most
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Cheers @WezV a glueing I shall go. ;)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    As Wez says, two drops max. You should be able to tap it off with a small mallet/hammer with minimal force from the side.
    Cheers, all packed away in the small knowledge section in my grey matter!
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1675
    edited February 2014
    I prefer to use nail varnish as a thread lock.

It is JUST strong enough to resist vibration but breaks out cleanly. It is also MUCH safer!

Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    I think that's a different kind of nut, Dave ;).

For nuts on guitars I prefer to glue them on strongly. I don't agree with the logic of gluing them on poorly so they're easier to remove - the only time you need to remove a nut is to replace it, at which point it's scrap anyway so you can just cut it away if necessary.

You don't want to use so much superglue that it leaks and damages the finish, but I always try to use just enough that the mating surfaces are fully glued and not just at a couple of spots.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    He means guitar nuts.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    ICBM said:

You don't want to use so much superglue that it leaks and damages the finish, but I always try to use just enough that the mating surfaces are fully glued and not just at a couple of spots.

I think we are pretty much saying the same thing.   with superglue  my "2 small drops" will generally spready to cover at least 3/4 of the join without any squeeze out

my "small drop" is a bead of glue straight from a standard nozzle. its possible to get smaller drops withs pipettes, extra fine nozzles and other methods, but i am not going to bother with that for a simple job like this.  

I always go for straight from the bottle onto the base of the nut, away from the guitar rather than over it.  One drop around the A string and one around the B.  

• Yes, you don't want your nut stuck to your G-string.

(Sorry...)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I think that's a different kind of nut, Dave ;).

For nuts on guitars I prefer to glue them on strongly. I don't agree with the logic of gluing them on poorly so they're easier to remove - the only time you need to remove a nut is to replace it, at which point it's scrap anyway so you can just cut it away if necessary.

Just removed the plastic nut from my squier in three pieces, was surprised to find it glued in at all!

Advances in quality control that is!

;)