Diesel cars (toxic tax) announced

What's Hot

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4695
    I LOVE the look of the 2017 Civic.... unfortunately I'd have to pay new prices which I'd never do and couldn't afford anyway!
    The old model..... not keen on the rear bar... and the seat is too high... I keep bumping my knees off the steering wheel. 
    Plus, their headrests tilt forward too much. 
    But the 2017 looks good.

What about Mazda 3/6? The only thing I've read is they can be noisy. I might have to bite the bullet am get an A3 with this same amazing TFSI engine.
    Try someone like lingscars for a leasing deal. You might be surprised at how cheap it can be.
    BTW after a month of ownership fuel consumption in town is actually better than the diesel was.
    Diesel we were getting ~ 34mpg in the 1l petrol it's nearly 36mpg.
    Driving from London to Southampton we got 53mpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    So the government ploy to delay the publication of their report into dealing with NOx pollution has failed they have until May 9th to publish. Court ruled it wasn't against election rules.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73011
    You can pretty much guarantee there's going to be something very unpopular in it, given how determined they've been to try not to have it published before the election.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11513
    ICBM said:
    You can pretty much guarantee there's going to be something very unpopular in it, given how determined they've been to try not to have it published before the election.
    It's always been unpopular.  They should have done something a long time ago but they didn't want to be unpopular and lose votes.  Now it's come back to bite them because the action they will have to take will need to be more drastic.

There was Dutch research demonstrating that diesels emitted far more than they claimed to at least as far back as 2013.

It was in the mainstream British press in 2014:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/11007326/Diesel-car-drivers-betrayed-as-EU-cracks-down-on-Britain-over-air-pollution.html

If they had put a £50 pollution surcharge on newly registered diesel cars in the budget two or three years ago, and put a penny on duty for diesel the overall cost for average motorist would have been minimal, and most would have forgotten about it by now, but the symbolic effect would have led to a lot of people buying petrols instead of diesels.  There would probably be hundreds of thousands less diesel cars on the roads and they wouldn't need such drastic action now.

The stupid thing is that most of the cars I see on my journey to work in the morning (in London) seem to be diesels.  As @Axe_meister said, in a lot of real world situations they aren't any cheaper to run than a petrol.  And if you do clog up the DPF by driving it in a city the costs are horrendous.

While it will be unpopular I think the other parties will have to go along with the proposals, or something similar, anyway so I don't imagine that it will cost them that many votes unless Corbyn comes up with an unfunded bribe on a scrappage scheme for diesels. 

If it does lose the Tories a few votes, that might be a good thing.  I don't think Corbyn is capable of running the country, or even a scout group for that matter but, given the polls at the moment, the Tories are going to get a huge majority.  Whoever is in power I'm much happier when they have a smaller majority.  If you have a 100 seat majority you can ram any idiotic policy through.  If this upsets some diesel drivers in marginal seats and they only end up with an 80 seat majority rather than 100 seats then that would be a good thing.

In London, I think the Tories will lose votes through inaction on this as well.  Maybe not as many as they will lose from diesel drivers outside London, but they will lose votes.  It's an issue that may well stop me from voting for them if they chicken out of doing something about it.  I won't vote for Corbyn but I might vote for someone else as a protest.  I do live in a marginal seat so it might even make a difference.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5775
    timmysoft said:
    People should be charged for driving diesels. Diesels are shit and they sound shit. Diesel should be used for commercial vehicles only. 
    You've clearly not heard a V12 two-stroke diesel ;)

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• SporkySporky Frets: 29106
    crunchman said:

There was Dutch research demonstrating that diesels emitted far more than they claimed to at least as far back as 2013.
    Which, again, obviously doesn't include recent Euro VI diesels.

Might as well complain that steam engines make a lot of smoke.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I LOVE the look of the 2017 Civic.... unfortunately I'd have to pay new prices which I'd never do and couldn't afford anyway!
    The old model..... not keen on the rear bar... and the seat is too high... I keep bumping my knees off the steering wheel. 
    Plus, their headrests tilt forward too much. 
    But the 2017 looks good.

What about Mazda 3/6? The only thing I've read is they can be noisy. I might have to bite the bullet am get an A3 with this same amazing TFSI engine.
    The 3 MPS is fun and quite good at making small children cry if you floor it. Torque steer is a big issue though. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Maybe I'll stick to a Fabia...
    I'm more a £10k and under car kind of guy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    That's good :)
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    LOLOL That's funny, Ill show my Bro this. =)
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1567
    hotpot said:
    LOLOL That's funny, Ill show my Bro this. =)
    Slightly humorous but wildly inaccurate. All new diesel sales have to Euro6 compliant, if there is a scrappage scheme then Euro6 diesels will remain unaffected due to their significantly lower emissions. The sooner the press stop whitewashing all the facts the better, but then that approach ruins a good scaremongering headline doesn't it?!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Well the govt released their white paper on vehicle polution and we're still as much up in the air as we were before. Seems the emphasis will be to place the onus on local authorities to implement. And the scrappage scheme will be limited to polution problem areas.

Still none the wiser as to what to do if my car needs a rapid replacement.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11513
    hywelg said:
    Well the govt released their white paper on vehicle polution and we're still as much up in the air as we were before. Seems the emphasis will be to place the onus on local authorities to implement. And the scrappage scheme will be limited to polution problem areas.

Apparently Client Earth are looking at taking them back to court again because of the uselessness of the plan.

I've got to find out our local Tory candidate's view on this.  If she's a do nothing like the rest of the party I'll be voting for someone else.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited May 2017
    crunchman said:
    hywelg said:

Apparently Client Earth are looking at taking them back to court again because of the uselessness of the plan.

I've got to find out our local Tory candidate's view on this.  If she's a do nothing like the rest of the party I'll be voting for someone else.
    There are only one solution. Stop cars and trucks entering city centres. This is what is happening in Paris. The biggest problem in London is the speed of the traffic (you can often walk faster) which is a snails pace. Vehicles not moving but spitting out pollution. Banning vehicles needs to be done at a local level.

Scrapping diesels won't stop city pollution. Pop over to California - lots of smog and pollution from cars and they don't have diesels.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Blimey! It looks like every council in the country will jump on this 'clean air act' bandwagon. they want to charge polluting cars £7.50 a day to drive in Bolton :o

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/15275040.Plans_to_charge_cars___7_50_a_day_to_use_major_road_branded__crazy_/
    Did you read the article?

Only it says that they're not considering it.
    Sporky said:
    Did you read the article?

Only it says that they're not considering it.
    Yeah I skimmed through it really, I could have worded my comment better.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    I'm just about to buy a new (second hand) diesel too, my other motor is a 35 year old diesel landy (that runs on veg oil) as far as I'm concerned they can shove their taxes up their arses,
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    I'm pretty sure my next will be petrol or electric.

If it's petrol it'll almost certainly pollute more than my current diesel. Because it'll use a lot of petrol.