Fender Flavours ?¿?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3958
    Rambler = 2x6L6
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3958
    Morgan SW22R that has just popped up for sale looks a good shout too. A suped-up Deluxe Reverb with loads of headroom and a hint of Dumble by the look of it.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Subjectively the 65 DRRI seems louder clean than my 30 watt Mesa Lonestar Special - but it's always struck me as a 'quiet' 30 watts.

Clean headroom in my experience tends to come with power. Anything under 50 watts will struggle to be 'truly' clean (unless mic'd) over a drummer. Bigger amps simply have more 'authority' - even when playing relatively quietly - the downside being their weight/portability.
  • My '68 CDR stays clean up until about 5-6 - and by that point it is trouser-flapping loud. As ever, you can increase/decrease the clean headroom by changing out the pre-amp valves appropriately.

I really love my '68 CDR; so much warmer than the '65s in my experience. That will be the Bassman tone stack in the Custom channel.

I really wish it had a Master volume though. Are there any Bassman-derived clones with Master volumes that are under a grand?
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5773
    My '68 CDR stays clean up until about 5-6 - and by that point it is trouser-flapping loud. As ever, you can increase/decrease the clean headroom by changing out the pre-amp valves appropriately.

I really love my '68 CDR; so much warmer than the '65s in my experience. That will be the Bassman tone stack in the Custom channel.

I really wish it had a Master volume though. Are there any Bassman-derived clones with Master volumes that are under a grand?

I must be more deaf than I thought then, I didn't find it all that loud to be honest.  Even my Super Reverb RI isn't painful cranked all the way up (but oh boy, WHAT a sound!!) although crockery does start dancing on the kitchen counter and paintings randomly jump off the walls.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Have to be honest and say that I was fairly underwhelmed by my DRRi, it sounded OK, but it certainly wasn't loud and definitely had a 'thinner' sound than the Twin (not surprising) and my HRDX. A Fender badge on the front and 6l6s driving it are the way to go.
  • can I throw a curveball: Dr. Z EZG 50. all the Fender bang in a head. Lovely, lovely thing, I own one.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    can I throw a curveball: Dr. Z EZG 50. all the Fender bang in a head. Lovely, lovely thing, I own one.
    You most certainly can @bermudianbrit , this thread is as open to ideas as it can be.  I have heard good things about the EGZ50, although not heard one in the flesh yet.  Thanks for your recommendation.

Lebarque said:
    Morgan SW22R that has just popped up for sale looks a good shout too. A suped-up Deluxe Reverb with loads of headroom and a hint of Dumble by the look of it.
    I know nothing of Morgan, so I'll check that out.  A touch of Dumble sounds nice too  :)

Clean headroom in my experience tends to come with power. Anything under 50 watts will struggle to be 'truly' clean (unless mic'd) over a drummer. Bigger amps simply have more 'authority' - even when playing relatively quietly - the downside being their weight/portability.
    Thanks @richardhomer , that rather confirms my feelings, although my dalliances with volume were a good few years ago.

I had a notional idea of 50W floor limit, but I know that some lower wattage amps have a reputation of being louder than their ratings,.  That may however be once going into clipping / overdrive.  It is unclear whether they exceed their specified power in SPL terms when clean from the posts I have read.

However there is then the issue that in dB terms at least, 10 or 15 watts either way on 50W is really not *that* significant, so I am still guessing at what may suit best.  Then there is the move to mic up smaller amps and DI solutions to cloud things even more.  BUT there is nothing like the 'authority' of a big amp IMO too, even when turned down.  "Confused, am I" as Yoda might say...

Haych said:
    ... (but oh boy, WHAT a sound!!)
    although crockery does start dancing on the kitchen counter and paintings randomly jump off the walls.

Have you considered that you may have a poltergeist problem ?   ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5773
    Haych said:
    ... (but oh boy, WHAT a sound!!)
    although crockery does start dancing on the kitchen counter and paintings randomly jump off the walls.

Have you considered that you may have a poltergeist problem ?   ;)

Hmm, Fender Supernatural Reverb ;)

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haych said:

Hmm, Fender Supernatural Reverb   ;)

:o3

• @Haych Crikey. When no one was in the house once I cranked mine up to about 8 and had to stand a good 10ft away to be able to contend with the volume. Think you should get your ears checked! ;)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Lebarque said:

Terry Morgan makes amps as well?
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    edited April 2017
    In reply to the op, some boutique makers can add features (e.g. tremolo   and reverb , atttenuators).  
    Pristine clean suggests blackface, unless you go high power with tweed (LPTT ,  Lazy J80 etc)
    but tweed amps can deliver gorgeous clean tones

I started out preferring blackface but drifted towards tweed .I could describe the J40( which I have and love) as sort of 'brown face', in between the two.  
     It also has a subtle tweed/blackface rear panel switch

btw. Those tweeds with  a three stack set of tone controls ( bass,mid,treble) can allow further shaping of tweed cleans, as can an eq pedal in front of the amp.  
    To some extent, you can get a mid scoop that's a reasonable way towards blackface
     I use a Cali76 as an attenuator if needed, as you can simply dial down the output without it getting too thin