Need a cheap but decent a backup for my LP custom .any ideas ?!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    @mr-mac I like that! The headstock looks good as well which can be a stumbling block for many lp-alikes 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    TTBZ said:
    @mr-mac I like that! The headstock looks good as well which can be a stumbling block for many lp-alikes 
    It's loser to the large headstock versions if your comparing to Gibson's.  And tbh if your wanting a chuckabout one to save your real machine then wouldn't be hard to make headstock even better (only thing its missing is wee dip in middle and a proper pearl diamon).  But from more than 5ft nobody will notice (way maison is written looks quite close).  Had a guy who owns and plays a real old 335 say at a gig that's best tone he'd ever heard out a 335.  His face nearly dropped off when I said "no bad for a Korean copy" he couldn't believe it.  Like is say unless you look close you just don't notice also own a Maison 335 dot copy (maple front back and sides with mahogany block - again no laminate)

I've played 4 diff Madison's (2 mine, two other peoples) all of them supported an action so low it embarrassed even my mates new neon Steve Vai hand hold Ibanez shred machine back in 90's.  Even now it surprises everyone I hand it to.  Like I say hardware is std Korean basic stuff, functional ... and odd bit of fit and finish may not be top of line compared to stuff that cost 4-5 or more times as much but they weren't made from ply and are lovely to play.  Probs benefit from new hardware and a bone but so cheap you can still come in under higher range epiphone prices and don't have a stupid headstock to deal with.

Other thing I like... It doesn't have a 17deg headstock so when set up with bone nut it holds tuning better than real thing.  Even when I got the LP copy.  It had 11's on it and I played a whole gig (well band jam) kept re-checking tuning and it was spot on whole night... Even came back next week having not touched it and only one string needed a tiny tweak....  And you know what wee things like tuning stability for me are a huge plus point mid gig.  You get this well set up and I'll bet you'd actually be hard pressed, if you had a special gig, to decide which to take (it wouldn't be gibson cos it's a special gig - it'd be Maison cos I just know the gibby will go outa tune and well actually not play as well hahahaha).  Tbh I still can't understand why the hell gobson don't got 14deg or 10deg on modern LP's and save the pita 17 for historic/vintage ones.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    If it's a backup I'd look for a Reverend of some kind. Very keen used prices, solid build, sturdy, and a growing presence in the punk and alt rock worlds so they even have some cred in certain circles. Railhammers are good rock pickups if a little unsubtle clean.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    Personally I'd go for a used Ibanez Artist, Yamaha SG or Edwards LP type. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited April 2017
    Surely as a backup option or a number one for rough gigs/flights you want something that feels and sounds close to your number 1 so something the same shape, similar construction and electrics is the answer. Given the mention of flights I'd skip a mahogany Les Paul neck, hence the suggestion of the maple necked Gibson Les Paul.

It will feel incredibly familiar and probably sound there or there abouts, but rougher around the edges so you won't mind it taking a knock.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 348
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for the input guys!!

I've had a few les paul studios, but although they're great guitars that do the job, they just don;t seem like a custom, even with the ebony boards.
    I had a ltd eclipse , which was great but I don;t like the active pickups and the passive loaded ones seem thin on the ground.
    I've had a couple of tokai's before, and while they're lovely guitars, they're a bit "vintage" spec'd for me, and pricey now too.
    I had an Epiphone Les Paul standard Pro last year, and while it was a fantastic quality guitar, the neck and pickups were a bit "vintage" for me. 
    By vintage I mean chubby necks and PAF style pickups. I like the nexks a little slimmer and the pickups a little hotter.

The Gibson LPJ seems like one to keep my eye open for though!!

The maison necks are also lovely, not too chucky at all, very quick and nice in hand... So would defo suit that too and be cheap enough to hardware it exactly as you want and still leave you change.  Handed it to a gibson sg player who had a very well set up SG and he fell in love on the spot
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    You've got me wanting one now haha, where'd you buy it, just a lucky ebay/gumtree listing?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTBZ said:
    You've got me wanting one now haha, where'd you buy it, just a lucky ebay/gumtree listing?
    They come up on.ebay often overpriced buy it nows and auctions... Best place is gumtree and bide time.  Found a let's play version for a friend on pre loved in a lovely muted old looking burst colour. It already had upgraded pegs and very nice pickups plus wiring done.  One owner and dead immaculate so he paid £200 for that one.  On flipside though he reckons its one of nicest sounding and playing guitars in his arsenal and he ain't short of guitars...

Know another guy with one who had been thinking of selling because of a silly issue.  Think he's keeping now, he also has a really nice tokai but says both him and his luthier reckon the Maison is a much better guitar.

it's one of those when your no looking one will pop up on eBay or gumtree or Facebook.  So keep the name I mind and at some point you'll see one... Like I say, such good value and cos play so well they really are a great tool to play every day and no worry about it getting used looking.
    edited April 2017
    Seen them as low as £40-50 but also seen people pick em up not knowing what they were for £15-20 from local general selling ads and the like.  Also did 335's in maple and Ash, 175 copy, nice SG, some super strats, strats, lp's amount other stuff.  Even seen one flying V with superstrat style neck and Floyd style bridge.  Love the colour on this strat (fave was a transluscent finish red to orange burst with maple board but like this and the met green ones too)

edited April 2017
    I know this was about LP's but guess handy info for someone looking for a less precious gig lump of any of the above.  You could do a lot worse
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    and cue everyone from FB putting Maison Guitar in Gumtree as we speak 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Wis to @underdog (welcome back,by the way) re the LPJ.I've got a 2013 Goldtop and it's brilliant. Mines had quite a few mods to it though,including a full re-wire,replacement bridge pickup (Irongear Tesla Shark,great pickup) and faux binding amongst other things.The neck feels lovely too with the really thin coat of nitro.Highly recommended.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    edited April 2017
    and cue everyone from FB putting Maison Guitar in Gumtree as we speak 
    That's fine.. Good prices of FB and Gumtree.  The over priced ones on eBay with BIN just sit there forever and a day... 
  • GadgieGadgie Frets: 96

I've got a Westfield Les Paul Custom which is pretty good value. I also have the v100 LD which is great for the money.

I have to say I upgraded the westfield with pots and wiring and some old Wizard pups I had lying around. Made it even better:)