Seafoam Green, and from the 70's, and naturally relic'ed?

robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• milambermilamber Frets: 118
    edited April 2017
    Hi Rob - it's mine actually Still in two minds about whether I really want to sell it, but have my eye on something else and insufficient funds, as is usually the case!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    Totally love it, is it Shipable? 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    That's cool. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    Knew I had seen that somewhere before @milamber ;
    edited April 2017
    Totally love it, is it Shipable? 
    Not on gumtree to a stranger, but possibly to an established FB member. I do have a box suitable, just think it might be a bit pricey as it's going to be heavy when properly packed. Where in the midlands are you? We have relatives in droitwich we visit as seldom as possible.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    I'm Stourbridge, let me kniw when you're next up this way
  • randellarandella Frets: 4732
    @milamber Very interesting guitar that, proper 'lawsuit' job (not a dig at you, just the name given to the copies in the 70's!)

You can see what they've done to the lower horn shape to try and avoid the wrath of the big F's legal department.

Good luck with the sale, it's a curious artifact and a fair price I'd say.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    randella said:
    @milamber Very interesting guitar that, proper 'lawsuit' job (not a dig at you, just the name given to the copies in the 70's!)

You can see what they've done to the lower horn shape to try and avoid the wrath of the big F's legal department.
    I think that's more likely incompetence :). Fender really didn't care, back then - which is exactly why they've lost the trademark rights on the body shapes now... for a long time they didn't even seem to bother much about the headstocks either.

From what I remember of these they're mostly quite well-made - good woodwork and most of the hardware - apart from the pickups. In fact I think I have a set lying around somewhere - very cheap construction with a metal baseplate, a central ceramic magnet and polepieces stuck on top, with very loosely-wound and extremely microphonic coil.

And the tiny little pivot screws for the bridge - although these are easily replaced with proper ones.

Still a cool thing at a very fair price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I have to be honest. I don't really play electric at all and bought it almost entirely on the basis that it looked so cool. Plus it matched my cabinet in the music room........

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/chriseast/IMG_2563_zpshalafw4y.jpg

An interesting thing I hadn't noticed before or remembered about these is that it's a full 22-fret neck, so none of the dimensions can exactly match a Fender… it's funny how it looks like they just moved the neck pickup a bit closer to the middle to leave room :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    Is the body made of solid wood, or ply?
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247
    I think that's a very cool thing.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    edited April 2017
    Stuckfast said:
    Is the body made of solid wood, or ply?
    It's ply - that was one of the things that the owner of the German Hohner forum used to date it and confirm place of manufacture.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/chriseast/IMG_1003_zpsjqtvqunh.jpg

Is that one of those folded-plate trem 'blocks' too?

Those are a complete pig to restring!

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    Apart from the headstock and the colour, it looks pretty similar to a Japanese Strat copy I have that was made by Cimar (supposedly a sub-brand of Ibanez). Not in the same league as the later Tokai and Greco guitars but perfectly playable.
    Possibly. I don't recall any specific problems restringing it though it did take me longer than my acoustics. Assumed that was inexperience. 
    milamber said:
    Possibly. I don't recall any specific problems restringing it though it did take me longer than my acoustics. Assumed that was inexperience. 
    If it's one with the folded plate, you have to get the string through the hole at the back where the ball ends are, and then through another one at the front of the guitar, with about an inch and a half gap in the middle... which needs a good light and a steady hand - otherwise known as very challenging, especially somewhere like a gig!

Quite a lot of cheaper 70s Strat copies have them. They look like this out of the guitar:

https://www.strat-talk.com/data/attachments/148/148990-ecb7974dfd62a325eeba8cc682a830b7.jpg

It's not identical, but similar I think. The procedure sounds about right, but went easily enough as I recall, though I wasn't under any pressure :)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    As I live in Norwich I took note of this guitar .Looks good