Boss Katana price rise

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Yep, use some monitor headphones with mine when recording. Sounds good to me. 
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4741

I used mine once through headphones and didn't like it at all.  Probably should have tried some different headphones to be fair.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7205
    tony99 said:
    This probably means the Katana is just a GT100 with a power amp. The GT100 is £350 as well.

Edit:
    From the GT100 Blurb on GuitarGuitar:

In version 2.0, Boss have added new MDP effects powered by innovative BOSS technology - Tera Echo, Overtone, and A-DIST, as well as new Rotary 2 and Acoustic Guitar Simulator effects types.
    Do we know if this hack works on the Katana 50 or is it just on the Katana 100?
    They seem to be basically identical up until the power stage (extra patches notwithstanding) so I'd be amazed if they didn't.

Shall I get one or what? really need someone to make a decision for me . . .
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tony99 said:
    This probably means the Katana is just a GT100 with a power amp. The GT100 is £350 as well.

Edit:

In version 2.0, Boss have added new MDP effects powered by innovative BOSS technology - Tera Echo, Overtone, and A-DIST, as well as new Rotary 2 and Acoustic Guitar Simulator effects types.
    They seem to be basically identical up until the power stage (extra patches notwithstanding) so I'd be amazed if they didn't.

Shall I get one or what? really need someone to make a decision for me. . . .
    tony99 said:
    Nikko said:
    Yep, just a looper pedal. Really easy to use. I use it mostly for practising. I use my Katana as an audio interface, plug it in to my PC and record into Studio One. I record a little loop of some sort of chord progression on a track, then open another track and record whatever I play over the loop. Works great.
    yeah that's what I want it for really, an interface, just waiting on checking in with one of the shops about PX'ing my old amp and I'll probably get one

I was looking at Zoom G1xon's as well, but I wouldn't have any need for that AND a boss k50 would I? Just maybe a looper?

There is no point getting the zoom if the boss has the GT 100 fx.
    Yeah I thought so, just not that clued up on all this TBH, will have to wait until next week to see if they want to PX my old amp, if not I'll probably still get the BK50
    tony99 said:
    Nikko said:
    Yep, just a looper pedal. Really easy to use. I use it mostly for practising. I use my Katana as an audio interface, plug it in to my PC and record into Studio One. I record a little loop of some sort of chord progression on a track, then open another track and record whatever I play over the loop. Works great.
    yeah that's what I want it for really, an interface, just waiting on checking in with one of the shops about PX'ing my old amp and I'll probably get one

I was looking at Zoom G1xon's as well, but I wouldn't have any need for that AND a boss k50 would I? Just maybe a looper?

Yeah I thought so, I'm just not that clued up on all the modelling and FX stuff

Just need to wait until next wee to see if they want to PX my old amp, if not I'll probably still get a K50
    tony99 said:

Edit:

Shall I get one or what? really need someone to make a decision for me . . .
    tony99 said:

Edit:

tony99 said:
    Nikko said:

Yeah I thought so, just not that clued up on all this TBH, will have to wait until next week to see if they want to PX my old amp, if not I'll probably still get the BK50
    tony99 said:
    Nikko said:

Yeah I thought so, I'm just not that clued up on all the modelling and FX stuff

Just need to wait until next wee to see if they want to PX my old amp, if not I'll probably still get a K50
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12319
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Edit:

@tony99 I've got a Boss Katana 50 and I think it is excellent, for £169 you can't really fault it, IMHO.  You may want to look at the 100w if you are feeling a bit more flush as you can store 4 patches on the panel instead of 2 on the 50, BUT as it is simple in layout, dialling in tones is much simpler than with a lot of similar amps, easier than my Blackstar Core amps for example.

I haven't tried the hack software for the 28 amp models, but there are so many tones available with the four electric models and the various FX options, I would be surprised if it doesn't do most things you need out of the box.

Hope that helps!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Edit:

@tony99 I've got a Boss Katana 50 and I think it is excellent, for £169 you can't really fault it, IMHO.  You may want to look at the 100w if you are feeling a bit more flush as you can store 4 patches on the panel instead of 2 on the 50, BUT as it is simple in layout, dialling in tones is much simpler than with a lot of similar amps, easier than my Blackstar Core amps for example.

I haven't tried the hack software for the 28 amp models, but there are so many tones available with the four electric models and the various FX options, I would be surprised if it doesn't do most things you need out of the box.

Hope that helps!
    I know mate, and I appreciate all your help

doubt I've got any need for a 100w facemelter, only really need a little amp for at home, even 50w is a bit much but I know I can tone it down

trouble is now I'm looking at the little vox ac things which sound really sweet, I'd love one of them little 4watt things but I'd only really get one second hand as they're a bit much new I think, and I also wonder if I'd have to maintain a tube amp more??

see what happens ebay and on here over this weekend and then if no joy I'll just get a boss k 50 next week

(flipping heck only just noticed all my dupe posts on here, why the flip does it do that, I post then they don't appear then I post again, oops my bad I suppose)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12319
    Best of luck with your purchase!

I think you are correct the 50w Katana is plenty at home, honestly I've rarely played it off the 0.5w attenuator!

I'd audition an AC4, you will need a few pedals to get the tones you want, and they sound a bit rubbish played quiet IMHO.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Anyone use their Katana much through headphones?

I'm amazed how good it is through headphones.
    Yeah a lot, I agree it's great