Prs Stratocaster

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    Rumour on Facebook says he wanted Fender to do an entire sub-brand with his name on it a la EVH, and when they declined he walked. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2450
    Whitecat said:
    Rumour on Facebook says he wanted Fender to do an entire sub-brand with his name on it a la EVH, and when they declined he walked. 
    Oh no, please don't tell everybody this....the Mayer haters will have a field day  :)   Had the pleasure of spending half an hour with the guy about ten years back when I was travelling and we ended up waiting for transport in the same place, we talked guitars and music , he seemed a decent genuine bloke passionate about his craft and not at all like the guy usually seen on camera. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    Not saying it's definitely true but the source is a credible identifiable individual in a senior role with a major US retailer. Does sound kinda plausible to me but unless someone whose initials are JM or is on the Fender board writes a kiss & tell we may never know!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    AFAIK he left Fender around the time when Fender parted ways with some of their Custom Shop people.  I remember reading about it a year or two ago.

Whatever the reason, he's obviously had some kind of falling out with Fender.

If there's an affordable S2 version of this, then PRS could do well out of it - especially if it has a rosewood board given the news on the other thread.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    edited April 2017
    Agreed an S2 version of this could fly off  the shelves. I think this has potential,  would have to try one but the neck heel looks nice, you know it'll be well balanced and I bet it plays great too. 
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have no problem with anyone have a signature guitar (why would  I) but I am surprised at some of the features which really confuse it's identity.  It looks like a home made Strat PRS partscaster rather than a designed guitar.

I don't see why it has to have a front mounted jack and the PRS/Mann trem was always a better, more refined design than the original Fender six screw jobbie.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Just had a bit of time and googled John Mayer leaving Fender.  It happened a few months after Fender got rid of Mike Eldred (head of the Custom Shop).  Mayer made comments on Twitter at the time saying that the company was no longer the company he started with.  I think that is probably the cause of the bad blood between them.

I don't blame PRS for making a "Strat".  It's not a new thing.  Look at the EGs of the early 90's and the more recent 305.
  • jamjarmanjamjarman Frets: 10
    Patrick Eggle made something similar in the 90s too. Still making them too.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    jamjarman said:
    Patrick Eggle made something similar in the 90s too. Still making them too.
    Hideous.  
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Surely the 3 a side headstock will change the feel of bending strings