I'm thinking of getting a guinea pig any tips

What's Hot

Comments

• I just want to say now that I am against guinea pig male genital mutilation, which is how I see it. It may be wrong to you cavy pro's out there, but this is how I feel on the subject. 

Are there any health benefits to this op?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4688
    we have just acquired 2, Piglet and Jelly, kids love them. they dont do much apart from squeak and shit. The Guinea Pigs are pretty cool though :-) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • we have just acquired 2, Piglet and Jelly, kids love them. they dont do much apart from squeak and shit. The Guinea Pigs are pretty cool though :-) 
    And you complained about Kong: Skull Island being boring. Lol
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4688
    yeah man, if they had made it with giant Guinea Pigs that would have been much better 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11414
    edited April 2017
    yeah man, if they had made it with giant Guinea Pigs that would have been much better 
    Ever seen a capybara?

• TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Don't skimp on the seasoning....

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• scrumhalf said:
    Ever seen a capybara?

Ever seen the South Park episode Pandemic?
  • I've just been to the local pet superstore and had a look at one .  I did not care for the way it looked at me.  I wanted to pull it's whiskers off
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    scrumhalf said:
    Ever seen a capybara?

Rodents Of Unusual Size
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • scrumhalf said:
    Ever seen a capybara?

Rodents Of Unusual Size
    Inconceivable!
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    scrumhalf said:
    Ever seen a capybara?

Rodents Of Unusual Size
    Inconceivable!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Whenever I had boars I kept them intact, they liked to rest the balls on my neck. It can make it tricky to pair them up that way, but if you go to a rescue they often have them already in pairs.

I wouldn't pair one with a rabbit, it's not ideal for either of them as their dietary needs are very different, but the guinea pig in particular can get bullied. 
    My V key is broken
  • My local rescue expects you to get them decobbled, they also want access to the adoptees.

Is this standard?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    edited April 2017
    My local rescue expects you to get them decobbled, they also want access to the adoptees.

Is this standard?
    Yep, standard. 
    Tbh they're not likely to make a visit but I've never had any problems with agreeing to it.  It shows good faith.
    And I really agree with neutering.  (See if they can recommend a vet -- prices for neutering vary enormously which is crazy.)

The last three guineas I got from a rescue were cos someone thought she could make a few quid, bred 400 (which guinea pigs can do by tomorrow lunchtime), found she couldn't cope and suddenly 400 poor little sods need a home. 
    So yes, neutering and agreeing to a check, pretty standard.

EDIT -- you asked it there are health benefits to neutering.  Not as far as I know BUT....
    Most of my male guinea pigs have been neutered and apart from the immense feeling of fucking guilt that I feel as I take them along to the vet I haven't noticed any detriment either. 
    Here's the thing:  the neutered guineas still want to shag the females when the females come in season.  Nothing stops them, not even having their balls cut off.
    And the massive, massive practical and pragmatic benefit is that you can have male and female guinea pigs together and the guys don't fight as much or with as much ferocity, and the girls don't get pregnant. 
    And guineas hit sexual maturity within WEEKS so it's not an issue to drag one's heels on.
    Basically, although it makes me feel like shit to have to do it, it's just way more practical and after it's done EVERYONE'S happier.

• Grunfeld said:

And guineas hit sexual maturity within WEEKS ...

Shouldn't that be WHEEKS?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    you'll never get it to talk...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Pardon!? 
  • 57Deluxe said:

Yeah... they're really well trained. Under interrogation, they'll only give you their name, rank and number.
  • 57Deluxe said:

Yeah... they're really well trained. Under interrogation, they'll only give you their name, rank and number.
    I did get the joke then. Lol
  • Grunfeld said:
    My local rescue expects you to get them decobbled, they also want access to the adoptees.

Is this standard?
    Yep, standard. 
    Tbh they're not likely to make a visit but I've never had any problems with agreeing to it.  It shows good faith.
    And I really agree with neutering.  (See if they can recommend a vet -- prices for neutering vary enormously which is crazy.)

The last three guineas I got from a rescue were cos someone thought she could make a few quid, bred 400 (which guinea pigs can do by tomorrow lunchtime), found she couldn't cope and suddenly 400 poor little sods need a home. 
    So yes, neutering and agreeing to a check, pretty standard.

EDIT -- you asked it there are health benefits to neutering.  Not as far as I know BUT....
    Most of my male guinea pigs have been neutered and apart from the immense feeling of fucking guilt that I feel as I take them along to the vet I haven't noticed any detriment either. 
    Here's the thing:  the neutered guineas still want to shag the females when the females come in season.  Nothing stops them, not even having their balls cut off.
    And the massive, massive practical and pragmatic benefit is that you can have male and female guinea pigs together and the guys don't fight as much or with as much ferocity, and the girls don't get pregnant. 
    And guineas hit sexual maturity within WEEKS so it's not an issue to drag one's heels on.
    Basically, although it makes me feel like shit to have to do it, it's just way more practical and after it's done EVERYONE'S happier.

@Grunfeld , at least if I get their cobblers pulled off then they won't be trying to shoot over each over.