Where are you going on holidays this year?

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Nowhere for me, It must be over twenty years since we last had a holiday & that was a caravan weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33957
    Sporky said:
    The Cotswolds. We have a cottage booked next to a dog-friendly pub.
    @Sporky Whereabouts and when?
  • I'm doing several back to back city breaks in May with a friend from Canada who's visiting Europe/UK for the first time, so we're doing London > Paris > Edinburgh > Dublin, and then the highlight of the trip for her, Liverpool! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11734
    tFB Trader
    My holidays are cancelled this year as I had to buy my long distance girlfriend a new (secondhand) car as her's failed it's MOT.
    I could maybe take a holiday myself but she can't afford one so I won't feel that I can.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2661
    I'm touring the Alps (France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria) and Germany on my motorbike in September with friends. I'm also doing a euro tour on my own, probably in June.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29130
    edited April 2017
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    The Cotswolds. We have a cottage booked next to a dog-friendly pub.

Another consideration of mine. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3087
    Polis, Cyprus again.  Same villa that we hired a couple of years ago. 

I'm happy bobbing around in the pool all day and then quaffing Keo in the early evening before stuffing my face with kleftiko, fish meze, or sheiftalia. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Amsterdam in September for 1 week.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    I've booked up again for another week of playing guitar with Justin Sandercoe and Dario Cortese in Tuscany in September. Don't know yet what songs we'll be trying to learn, but it's meant to be a varied mix this year. Also giving some serious thought to doing a week's horse riding in the same area the week before, though I'll need to get back to doing a proper bit of riding, if I'm going to do this.

Also, I'd like to go and visit my son and his family in New Jersey. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    edited April 2017
    Nitiefly said:
    @hywelg - island-hopping sounds good, how are you planning to do it - ferries?  We went to Kefalonia last year, and there seemed to be ferries coming and going every day.

Also, what will you do for accommodation?

Ferries are good in the Aegean.  Only the international ones from Bari, Brindisi, Venice et al call at Kefalonia unless the inter island ferry has started now but I think that was waiting on the new ferry dock being built in Vasiliki,  Lefkada.There is a little one that goes in and out of Sami and Fiskardo, linking Ithaca  Meganisi and Lefkada.

It's very easy, all the islands that have no airport, all tourist traffic comes in by ferry, so a lot of room owners meet the ferry and ply their wares. In 15 years of just going with the flow we only had one bad one and that was clean, just a bit dated and pokey. 

You need to get the right flight in to Athens as all the main ferries leave at about 7:30 am. BA and Aegean land after midnight so we usually get our heads down in the airport for a few hours then get the Piraeus bus (X95 IIRC) at about 5:30 to the port  buy a ticket at one of the many tourist offices and just go. Really is easy. This time I've booked an internal flight at 5:15 from Athens to Santorini, it was as cheap as the ferry and much quicker. 4 nights then on to wherever takes our fancy.

Lately we've been using online booking to sort rooms out in advance especially for the first and last stops. We usually don't decide where we are going until we get to the first island. And we always plan to be back at a major hub island like Paros, Naxos or Milos for the last stop before going back to Athens for a.cpuple of nights before the flight back.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    My 50th this year, so a few lined up...

- South of France
    - Lake Garda
    - Cyprus
    - Turkey at Christmas 
    Goes without saying.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    Nowhere. For a few years we would go to Haven holiday resorts because the boy wasn't at school yet. Cost about £90. Now he's at school we can only go in the holidays and they rack the price up to at least 5 times that.

I was happy to pay £90, but no way am I paying £500 because it's mostly shit there anyway.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4761
    Cornwall twice so far, Noirmoutier in June, Cornwall in July, August and September too.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24646
    I've just spent the best part of the weekend glued to the laptop, scouring holidays, flights, hotels, back to holidays, making shortlists, changing my mind, getting to the point of actually booking something and backing out because it was more than I'd intended paying, starting again from scratch, switching airports, switching dates, having Tripadvisor open permanently in another window, finding somewhere that gets 90% excellent reviews then reading one that moans like hell and it puts me off so I go back to searching for holidays, flights, hotels etc etc etc.

I do it every year.

I must be mental.  I hate it.

I need a holiday to get over trying to find a holiday.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    Russia
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6413
    Already been :(  We had a great time in Western Australia.  Going to be a long haul until the end of the year .....

We do have a weekend break booked to Berlin for the start of June
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Has anyone been to Lisbon?  Our Maud and I fancy a long weekend there - is that doable or does it need longer?
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    ThorpyFX said:
    just got back from our holidays this year. We went to Heraklion in Crete, really nice place, nice people and reasonable weather for the time of year. we had to go so early because the missus won't be able to fly during the summer onwards.
    @ThorpyFX I am currently in Heraklion  (well just outside).
    Small world!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    Davos. 5 weeks in total across the year. Love it.