The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769
    scrumhalf said:
    Polls, schmolls.

Experice of recent elections and referenda should make one very wary of accepting poll data with only the most blood pressure-elevating pinch of salt.

to be fair recently they've only been wrong on 2015. Oh, and brexit. And trump. But they got our parish election spot on.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Corbyn's going to give us four extra bank holidays.  Debate over, where do I put my X?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Philly_Q said:
    Corbyn's going to give us four extra bank holidays.  Debate over, where do I put my X?
    If Corbyn gets in you'll have a permanent holiday as unemployment soars ... free movement might be worth having as well all do an auf wiedersehen pet and head to Germany ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ThorpyFX said:
    capo4th said:
    Are people really in misery? Someone said that earlier.

i just don't see it but I do live in London. The guitar business seems to be booming on here. Cars are selling well, the high street is busy poor people are all still wearing the latest box fresh £100 Nike Air Max. House prices are high and changing hands every day. London is booming.

The interest rates are low money is cheap get out there and enjoy yourselves and stop wallowing in self pity, life is about choices. If you are not happy then you need to makes changes in your lives. Voting for a Labour government will not change anything in your life. 

Jobs, relationships, houses, locations life is short seize the day life is what you make it and please stop moaning and stop watching the news it's depressing. 
    To get an understanding of the "misery" you need to head out of London and the southeast. Visit parts of Yorkshire, Lancashire and Newcastle. Here you'll find high unemployment, depravation and decay. These areas have been decimated as a result of our manufacturing economy switching to service based offerings.

this decimation has occurred over generations and ironically has nothing to do with Brexit, but it's clear that successive  governements prefer to ignore these areas rather than regenerate them. The reason you don't see suffering and misery in London is because most of the economy has a bedrock in service based transactions. London excels at these and so the impact hasn't been felt.
    Also... solving that problem is such a monumental task that I think most governments put their head in the sand and look for the quick fixes that will get them re-elected or at least let them keep their jobs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017

capo4th said:

i just don't see it but I do live in London. 

I would suggest getting out of that bubble then. 
    London isn't a bubble. I can walk 5 minutes in Colindale and see deprivation and misery. The difference with London is, there *is* work here, and it goes from the least skilled to the most skilled. Outside of London, work is very thin on the ground - particularly if you're a white collar worker specializing in an industry.

Take me for example - either I continue to stay in London working at various audio technology companies, or I move out of London in which case I'm up shit creek. My options are fairly limited outside of a big city like London. So I put up with the high outgoings so I can maintain my interests and my profession.

I've never really liked all of the "that there London, with yer balls all shiny!" talk that a lot of non-Londoners engage in. People don't seem to understand, for people like me who don't want to work in a factory or a warehouse... we NEED places like London. It really is a place of opportunity - if you're prepared to fight for it.

And that is also why 'privilege' rings hollow to me. I've fucking fought to get where I am, and never had a leg up from anyone.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Philly_Q said:
    All for more BHs - but we certainly don't need three more in March/April/May with Easter/Whitsun/Spring it's congested already - Jul/Aug and the long run in from August Bank Holiday weekend to Christmas could do with addressing
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Philly_Q said:
    All for more BHs - but we certainly don't need three more in March/April/May with Easter/Whitsun/Spring it's congested already - Jul/Aug and the long run in from August Bank Holiday weekend to Christmas could do with addressing
    St Andrew's day in November though.  Although I wonder if they'll take it back when Scotland go independent...  
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24617
    I live in the most marginal seat in the UK.  My MP (Con) was elected on a twenty-seven vote majority, changing over 100 years of Labour representation.  I have to vote tactically.  I'm no great fan of any ofther parties, but I believe Jeremy Corbyn is an honest and principled bloke (well... relative to May and whoever is the leader of the shambles Clegg bequeathed).  I don't think he's electable as a PM.  Regardless of his principles or ability to run the country, politics in the modern age is 50% or more personality, and he's as charismatic as an empty car park on a drizzly Sunday in November.

All I have to do is work out how to vote 28 times and my constituency returns to Labour.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Emp_Fab said:
    I live in the most marginal seat in the UK.  My MP (Con) was elected on a twenty-seven vote majority, changing over 100 years of Labour representation.  I have to vote tactically.  I'm no great fan of any ofther parties, but I believe Jeremy Corbyn is an honest and principled bloke (well... relative to May and whoever is the leader of the shambles Clegg bequeathed).  I don't think he's electable as a PM.  Regardless of his principles or ability to run the country, politics in the modern age is 50% or more personality, and he's as charismatic as an empty car park on a drizzly Sunday in November.

All I have to do is work out how to vote 28 times and my constituency returns to Labour.
    Is your area vote leave or remain? I think this will be a big factor in areas that voted to leave the EU.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Emp_Fab said:

Got a big extended family?  See if you can commandeer their postal votes.
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Is your area vote leave or remain? I think this will be a big factor in areas that voted to leave the EU.
    I think it will be the only factor.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24617
    Philly_Q said:
    Got a big extended family?  See if you can commandeer their postal votes.
    Alas, they were all chavs, so I had them shot.
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    51.5% Leave.  47% Remain.  1.5% "Whassuh Eeyooo ?"

Either way, I'm voting Llafur, as it's called down yur.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Schnozz said:
    capo4th said:

Bingo
    Why would I leave its home been here over 20 years and enjoy a great life. 

I grew up on a council estate in the north without a pot to piss in. I educated myself and left the north by the age age of 18. 

London is a bit of of a bubble and people in the north do make me laugh when they say how do you put up with the traffic and £5 a pint and £50 meals and £500000 mortgages....

I love London it's brill. Gigs to go to every night of the week ! 

Labour will fuck it all up for everyone and everyone else and do nothing to help the deprived north whatsoever. It was fucked when Labour was in power why will they do anything to change it now? 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Drew_TNBD said:

capo4th said:

London isn't a bubble. I can walk 5 minutes in Colindale and see deprivation and misery. The difference with London is, there *is* work here, and it goes from the least skilled to the most skilled. Outside of London, work is very thin on the ground - particularly if you're a white collar worker specializing in an industry.

Take me for example - either I continue to stay in London working at various audio technology companies, or I move out of London in which case I'm up shit creek. My options are fairly limited outside of a big city like London. So I put up with the high outgoings so I can maintain my interests and my profession.

I've never really liked all of the "that there London, with yer balls all shiny!" talk that a lot of non-Londoners engage in. People don't seem to understand, for people like me who don't want to work in a factory or a warehouse... we NEED places like London. It really is a place of opportunity - if you're prepared to fight for it.

And that is also why 'privilege' rings hollow to me. I've fucking fought to get where I am, and never had a leg up from anyone.

Exactly London is just lots of little villages very close together connected by an excellent transport system some villages are nicer than others.....

Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:

And Joe Public wants billions more spent on public services like the NHS, but ignores the waste and inefficiency that means toilet rolls cost the NHS £5 each a sink costs £2K.
    A-fucking-men to that. There's shedloads more money in the NHS, 1000s of beds have gone and hordes more people employed, yet the service still goes down - and balls to the "NHS inflation is different" tired old line.  A lot of hospitals are run by totally incompetent eegits, who fritter away money like it's confetti. All the scandals coming to light are not down to lack of cash - just incompetent & irresponsible management  & staff.

Anecdote1 - took my old Dad to his glaucoma clinic for a 10am appointment (they open at 8am), to be told they were currently running 2hrs behind - so in the 2hrs they were open they'd got 2hrs behind, to quote Chris Camara "Unbelievable" !!!! 

Anecdote2 - when my Mum was dying they took the person who was responsible for finding end-of-life care outside hospital off that job and put her on the wards (year end budget nonsense) - my Mum was in hospital for 7 weeks (on a 100% mixed ward) while she drifted away; a month after she died I got a call from the regional NHS community care office asking, given a choice where I'd like her to be moved to (they got a curt and to the point response).  (I'd actually found a bed for her at the local BUPA elderly care unit, who had a bed, seemed genuinely concerned, and had suitably trained staff, and had an NHS contract for such things - but without the admin wonks doing anything it couldn't happen)

This institutionalized malaise is not down to "Tory Cuts" (given my Mum died under Gordon Brown's "leadership")
    This is so true millions are put in but everyone in the hospitals management and their suppliers and councils are all lining their pockets on the gravy train paid for by the tax payer and who can blame em. 

Have you you looked at the salaries of some of these idiots! Back handers are also rife in hospitals and councils if decisions need to be approved .....
    Right I am going to screw the au pair and take my helicopter for a spin 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    capo4th said:

You mention translation services. How would you tackle that? 
    If people want to live in Britain they should speak English a simple tick box excercise on entry. There you go point one on the new immigration policy £millions saved on translation services.
    So you'd stop translating for the people already here? What do you think the outcome of that would be?
    Hopefully they would leave and stop being a drain on resources. They are probably the same people who choose not to integrate with society. English is not a difficult language to learn go and ask the billion people who can already speak it.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    capo4th said:
    Sporky said:
    capo4th said:

You mention translation services. How would you tackle that? 
    If people want to live in Britain they should speak English a simple tick box excercise on entry. There you go point one on the new immigration policy £millions saved on translation services.
    So you'd stop translating for the people already here? What do you think the outcome of that would be?
    Hopefully they would leave and stop being a drain on resources. They are probably the same people who choose not to integrate with society. English is not a difficult language to learn go and ask the billion people who can already speak it.
    How many languages do you speak fluently?
    My V key is broken
  • capo4th said:
    Schnozz said:
    capo4th said:

Bingo
    Why would I leave its home been here over 20 years and enjoy a great life. 

I grew up on a council estate in the north without a pot to piss in. I educated myself and left the north by the age age of 18. 

London is a bit of of a bubble and people in the north do make me laugh when they say how do you put up with the traffic and £5 a pint and £50 meals and £500000 mortgages....

I love London it's brill. Gigs to go to every night of the week ! 

Labour will fuck it all up for everyone and everyone else and do nothing to help the deprived north whatsoever. It was fucked when Labour was in power why will they do anything to change it now? 

So... You acknowledge London has jobs, and that other areas don't. 

Re language stuff, can you think of a few minor side effects of cutting them out of our systems? Do you believe they would, what, return to their place of birth? Or do you think you'd just get more, larger and more segregated ghettos? 

If so, what sort of issues do you believe that could put on a modern society? 
    edited April 2017
    As long as they put the segregated ghettos in the north we will be fine. 

There is always work work. You have to get off your arse and find it.

I genuinly believe and am sure I am not the only person who believes that if someone is settling in the UK that they should be able to speak the English language. A basic VISA requirement. If I want a job in Australia or want to live in the country for a period I need to be able to speak the language. Why should it be different for the UK. This causes further division in our society. People should speak English.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom