The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    ICBM said:
    siremoon said:
    For those old enough to remember the industrial peace and tranquility of the 1970s
    You mean when Ted Heath was PM?

:)
    No, he means when Len Murray, Joe Gormley, and Red Robbo thought they were in charge...   :3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I don't think anyone wants to win this election. 
    The Tories are saying it is about Brexit, even though large parts of their voter base didn't vote for it.
    Labour have Corbyn.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Emp_Fab said:
    I like turtles.
    No, you like deflecting from serious points when the narrative isn't going your way.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    here's the data on  the salary level for each percentile point, for 1999 up to 2015:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax

this is an amazing way to get perspective:

firstly to realise that people you think are "rich" are in quite mundane jobs:
    London underground and other train drivers get salaries up to 93% => they are in the top 10% earners in the country
    Nurses can get up to £40k => into the top 20% of earners in that analysis from a few posts ago showing that "higher earners pay less tax" 
    Junior doctors are all (I think) in the top 10%
    Secondary school Head teachers are all in the top 3%
    I know of heads of 6th form colleges on £200k+, which is in the top 1%

Aldi store managers get up to £58k, that's in the top 7% in the country - these are the people being branded as "rich people with too much cash, who should be taxed more than "normal people", "the many".
    As a labour voter, I find this part of Corbyn's rhetoric shameful

I just created a 2D plot of salary against percentile. it's exponentialish:
    it starts at £10k at 1%, then pretty much goes up in a straight line to about £42k at 84%,
    then doesn't really shoot up until  93% at £61k
    long serving police constables, at the lowest rank with no overtime, are in the top 20% at about £40k
    plumbers range up to £100k, that's in the top 3% of earners in the UK

anyway, this is all to show that the us & them class war rhetoric from Corbyn is wrong and immoral:
    To get more tax collected, it needs to come from the area under the graph (i.e. number of people x their income). The vast majority of the income to UK workers as a whole is below the 84%  percentile (£42k), and also the proportion of tax currently collected from those over £42k is far higher. Therefore, to significantly increase taxes, it is very hard to just collect the extra tax from the 16% of people to the right of the graph, realistically you need to add 2% to everyone below that as well

Interesting. Can you post your 2d plot?
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    I watched a program about Tim Farron this week: he's a bit of dick isnt he?

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    If they've got all that costed as they claim, then it's a manifesto that will win them votes. 
    They don't need to balance the books, there's enough financially illiterate people who wouldn't even consider that there isn't a magic money tree in the Downing street Rose Garden, and those that do realise taxes have to go up to pay for all the rainbows and unicorns think that the burden will fall on someone else's shoulders to vote for Labour.

For 20 years most parties have served up the same dish with a slightly different sauce, suddenly someone has come up with something that really stands out and the thickos won't pause and have a think why.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Corbyn fights back .. Labour surge in the polls ... May could regret calling the election. Labour policies are proving popular.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/05/unnoticed-and-unreported-jeremy-corbyn-surging-polls

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Labour will say anything to get votes and will be out of office by the time anything gets implemented. 

No word from Diane as to how they are going to fund any of these lavish proposals.

Jeremy " this time it will be different" ......

Dont make me laugh you have no clue and will say anything for a vote you bearded tart.
    I might vote Green !

"Britains prosperity depends on the success of the natural world !!!!!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Jalapeno said:
    capo4th said:

I was complaining about builders and plumbers who under declare their income and cheat the treasury out of tax. 

Whats wrong with stereotyping?  
    It's more than a stereotype - we can all relate to it IMHO.

However, if these guys under-declare too much they run a significant risk:

1. They get audited - they're fucked then - lifestyle doesn't match declared earnings

2. They get sick - they're also fucked - they can only claim insurance or benefits on the their declared earnings.

Anecdote: I know a taxi driver who grossly under-declared, when he had a heart attack at 38 (congenital condition he knew about) he'd only declared about 30% of his earnings.  He was completely banjaxed financially, luckily his Dad bailed him out. Though now his Dad's heart condition has taken him, his ongoing financial woes mean he's having to sell up and apply for social housing (nowt wrong with that btw), use the foodbank.  Moral: Karma applies, even with taxes ;)
    Taxi drivers another great example of tax man avoiders
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4th said:
    I might vote Green !

"Britains prosperity depends on the success of the natural world !!!!!"

I've said it before, but I believe within my lifetime (and possibly within the next 30 years) elections will be won and lost on environmental policy. 

The greens may have otherwise pretty... Er... Bizarre and unrealistic policy, but they have one thing right - if the environment undergoes significant change (which it will) it will have a larger influence on our economy than anything else. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12077
    I just realised Abbot could be the next labour leader

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268

She could be PM with their moon on a stick manifesto. 
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692

That would be proof positive that Momentum want the Labour Party to be a mere protest movement.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.

She is a good fit with those idiots in the unions wanting to take us back to the doom and gloom of the 1970s.

One woman commented that the railways would be cheaper if they were nationalised!

The last thing on anyone's mind is cheaper fares for commuters....

Train drivers wages to go up better pensions on top of the bomb proof ones they already have, more strikes if they don't get a kit Kat in their packed lunch

Not with Len paying the bills ... it will have to be a bloke. Len's old fashioned.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33906
    capo4th said:
    setting the country back 20 years.
    That would be ok, actually.
    The late 90's were very cool.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:

She is a good fit with those idiots in the unions wanting to take us back to the doom and gloom of the 1970s.

One woman commented that the railways would be cheaper if they were nationalised!

The last thing on anyone's mind is cheaper fares for commuters....

Train drivers wages to go up better pensions on top of the bomb proof ones they already have, more strikes if they don't get a kit Kat in their packed lunch
    You could see all those great bands like Led Zeppelin ...

octatonic said:
    capo4th said:
    setting the country back 20 years.
    That would be ok, actually.
    The late 90's were very cool.
    Early 90s were better ;-) 
    Diane Abbott is an absolutely terrifying proposition 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom