Experience with Lakewood Guitars

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had much experience with Lakewoods. Someone mentioned them too me recently as a good handmade German acoustics company. Online forums seem to be lukewarm about them. What do we think?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    They are very well crafted indeed. If there was a general characteristic to the Lakewoods I've played it would be that they lean towards very bright and lively, usually with very good playability. I have a very early A32 from before they went to bolt necks, it's a lovely small bodied finger style guitar leaning towards a classical feel due to the extra wide board / string spacing. Even after 20 plus years it still has that brightness to it .
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    I've played a few Lakewoods and I've liked them all.  I'd put them more in the modern/Celtic style of voicing. 

I'm not entirely sure why but they seem to take a real hit for shifting second hand, so if you see one pop up try one out if you are able to. 

If you're looking for something a bit more 'traditional' in voicing (i.e. Martin style bracing) for a European built instrument, I'd recommend having a look at Furch.  
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited April 2017
    played a few when in town and time to kill in my well stocked ‘high street’ toy shop.
    They figure well alongside the big brands and are a welcome quality alternative.
    It’s really up to whither YOU like their sound and feel - being able to choose is what makes you an individual, it’s to easy (and safe) to go with the herd.
    As EWH says - they are on the bright / modern side of the tone coloration scale.
    You say - “Online forums seem to be lukewarm about them. “
    I say ’sheep’, particularly ‘over the pond’ forums.
    Example - it took a uk guy to realise that a spruce / MAPLE 000 12 FRET is a killer fingerpicking masterpiece - any mention of such a guitar for that style of playing would have been met with - ‘for that money - you need a wizard apprentice modified approximation thingy made from ‘the trunk’ - if your with me

As for ‘celticana’ music style - it can be played on anything -
    e.g. - this khaen is THE sound of celticana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA6fEY1Nl3s

• woodywoody Frets: 74
    I've owned a d32,d14 and a top of range m54 brazilian.the much cheaper d14 was only one that personally hit mark for me. The other two just a bit safe and boring for my tastes.