Educate me on distortion pedals

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• shadyshady Frets: 252
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1777
    Maxi said:

I recon your method probably steers it away from being a one trick pony . Ive built a few of them , a couple for my self and one for my bro .

I cant fault the G.M schem for brutalz but the original Mesa rec emulation does not translate particularly well to backed off gain but then Ive never owned a high gain distortion box that does .

I was pretty impressed with the voicing  . Cap and resistance values over all create that Mesa rec signiture tone . More amp like than I would ever have believed before making one .

Its just the crunch tones that are missing on mine .

Yeah, the crunch is there with the mods. It's the problem we had with it, all brootz and nothing else before.

Lil bit of ACDC on it: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18289
    tFB Trader
    I've been playing on this quite a bit since I got it and it's absolutely fucking epic. 

Expensive, but worth every penny. 

I've tried loads of distortion pedals and not a one has ever actually sounded like an amp other than this one. I know there are others that apparently do like the Mesa and Blackstar, but none of them take a 9v.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    If you havent tried boosting with a tubescreamer, try that before you try anything else.
  • It's big and needs it's own power supply but you really need to check out the Radial Tonebone stuff. The Classic is more Mesa/ Fender like and the Hot British is typically Marshall. Best od/ distortion pedal ever that will get you ANY drive you want.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2452
    I generally like to stack an od into a distortion pedal. To me that normally sounds closer to a high gain amp than using a single pedal, even if it is advertised as sounding like a high gain amp alone.

Out of what I've tried:

I like the rat- my mooer black secret is pretty versatile and works with pretty much any amp i've tried it with.

For more amp-in-a-box type tones (though the way I dial in a rat it doesn't sound unlike a high gain marshall type tone either), i like my joyo crunchbox and suhr riot clones, and my tonerider british distortion (I'm guessing it's a clone/derivative of something, I'm just not sure what... my guess would be guvnor or crunchbox though it's a fair bit brighter than my joyo crunchbox clone so I dunno).

I'm not sure the point of the super-expensive ones, though- unless you absolutely need some way to make an unsuitable amp do heavier stuff, I mean thomann sells jet city amps for little over £200, and they sound (and feel) better than any distortion box I've ever tried if you want high gain tones.
  • vizviz Frets: 11018
    mike_l said:
    viz said:
    I thought everyone starts off with a Boss DS1?

I hated the one I had. Found it too harsh. But that might just have been my playing, and (at the time shitty) amp.

I might just try another.....

yep @Mikel they have that reputation, especially into tranny amps or clean channels, but if you play them into a well-driven tooob amp turned up loud, and keep the distortion knob below 7, they deliver a good old-fashioned screaming solo sound, for 20 quid second hand I reckon they're still a deserved stalwart. And they're on so many of my fave albums including most of Vai and Satch. Obviously the keeley ones are miles warmer.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • In my experiences with distortion pedals I've found its all in the eq. I love the railhead tua for high gain, hard to stomp in a hurry though. Barber dirty bomb is always a reliable bet too
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:

yep @Mikel they have that reputation, especially into tranny amps or clean channels, but if you play them into a well-driven tooob amp turned up loud, and keep the distortion knob below 7, they deliver a good old-fashioned screaming solo sound, for 20 quid second hand I reckon they're still a deserved stalwart. And they're on so many of my fave albums including most of Vai and Satch. Obviously the keeley ones are miles warmer.

It was into a shitty tranny amp, mind at the time it was "turn everything to 10, or louder*". I shall have a look in a few weeks for another.

*Yes, I am Nigel Tuffnell

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)