Bias Calculators.

EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
Today I have noticed that all of the other bias calculators on the internet suggest bias settings about 4mA higher than the Weber bias calculator for 70% dissipation. I am confused. Who should I believe?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    edited February 2014
    Depends on whether you prefer the sound with it hotter or not, and whether you're concerned about valve life.

There is no right answer, the 70% is only a guideline. Hotter is not always better for tone either.

It also depends on whether you include the screen current in the calculation, which you do unless you specifically subtract it if you're measuring via a bias probe in the cathode path. Since Weber's settings are presumably based on using the bias probe they sell, they may be including the screen current, although 4mA is only a guess at that too since it varies.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    So the 4mA difference is accounted for by the calculator allowing (or not) for the screen current? 
    Cheers as always.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    EdGrip said:
    So the 4mA difference is accounted for by the calculator allowing (or not) for the screen current? 
    Probably. I don't know, I haven't seen the figures. I tend to allow 5mA if I'm measuring via the cathode - but it's not exact, and it doesn't really matter. If you use the unadjusted figure you will always be on the safe side anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    EdGrip said:
    Cheers as always.
    yes, it's in the Weber blurb somewhere