The Dark Tower movie

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
edited May 2017 in Off Topic

I really struggle to enjoy adaptations of Stephen King books. I form my own images of the characters and they never seem to match how I see them. It looks like The Dark Tower will be no exception. Idris Elba isn't my cup of tea as The Gunslinger (and it's not a colour or race thing, he's too healthy looking for a start). Matthew McConaughey as Walter is closer but not quite there.

I love many of King's books but only The Shining and Salem's Lot mini series match how I visualised the books. Randall Flagg in The Stand movie was just plain awful and nothing like me, no tickling stick for a start.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    I agree to be honest. I loved the books and i just don't think Idris was the right guy for this role. I'll still go and see it though, hopefully it will be worth the hype. 
    Incidentally, why is that that so many of Kings film adaptations are crap? I just don't understand it, surely he's a big enough writer that his film adaptations can attract the best directors/actors/big budgets? 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4700
    i watched the trailer just last night, other half was like "ooh that looks good" 

NO NO IT FUCKING DOESNT ! Roland Deschain does not look like that

its " based" on the books not the actual books so can imagine its gonna be a big old pile of steaming shite 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    I'll probably go and see it but I'm prepared to be very disappointed.

Casting doesn't bother me too much but, having seen the trailer, the lack of Eddie, Susannah and Oy is likely to frustrate me. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3453
    I've always thought his books were too 'big' for movies.

I have to say, Idris as the Gunslinger isn't an obvious choice but it might work...I have low expectations anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Randall Flagg in The Stand pretty much personifies exactly what I thought the character would be like - a crazy but cheeky madman demon dude. Took me a while to come around to the potrayal of him in The Dark Tower books, even though he's not in them for very long.

Not looking forward to this film, but I will watch it as I really like the books.
  • Quite enjoyed the books, although they were a bit... Silly. But good fun nonetheless. 

Where is Oy?
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3511
    nick79 said:
    Incidentally, why is that that so many of Kings film adaptations are crap? I just don't understand it, surely he's a big enough writer that his film adaptations can attract the best directors/actors/big budgets? 
    Most adaptations of novels are shite.

Stephen King has written a lot of novels and a lot have been turned into films, so consequently a lot of them are shite!  

I think a fair of his novels which have been adapted to film have been good to fantastic, albeit not always true to the novels themselves.  

Off the top of my head
    - Carrie (1976)
    - The Shining
    - Salem's Lot 
    - Christine 
    - Dead Zone
    - Shawshank Redemption
    - The Mist

Three Stephen King novels adapted for the screen coming out this year alone are The Dark Tower, It, and Gerald's Game, I think the latter IMO will be the strongest - directed by the fantastic Mike Flaherty. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7900
    I'd like to see a modern movie adaption of Firestarter and how about The Talisman mini series done by Jonathan Nolan & Lisa Joy.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10418
    Misery was a pretty good adaption,I thought.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    https://imgur.com/gallery/EiKjJ

Whos cast as Wordie??
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    Josh Brolin =  Gunslinger
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    The best book adaptation for me was Lord of the Rings. The cast really was spot on.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7395
    Roland is so obviously a thin veneer draped over Clint Eastwood that it's pretty difficult to see how anyone else could make it work. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Stand By Me was another King story adapted for the screen - an excellent movie.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    Actually guys you are right, there have been a few good ones. I'm looking forward to It this year, i read that book when i was quite young and it scared the crap out of me, as did Salems lot.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    nick79 said:
    I agree to be honest. I loved the books and i just don't think Idris was the right guy for this role. I'll still go and see it though, hopefully it will be worth the hype. 
    This isn't an adaptation though - I thought it carried on from where the books left off. It's described as a sequel to the books.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7395
    Fretwired said:
    nick79 said:
    This isn't an adaptation though - I thought it carried on from where the books left off. It's described as a sequel to the books.
    lol the series is its own sequel.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4953
    The best I've read by King recently were "Duma Key" and "Mr Mercedes" - have either of them been adapted, does anyone know?

Mr Mercedes especially could be a great movie.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3511
    Nitefly said:
    The best I've read by King recently were "Duma Key" and "Mr Mercedes" - have either of them been adapted, does anyone know?

Tv series of Mr Mercedes out this year. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4953
    Nitefly said:

Tv series of Mr Mercedes out this year. 
    Oh, that's great news, @earwighoney ;!  Do you happen to know if it's on Netflix, or where?