PRS wrap bridges & Drop tuning.

What's Hot
sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000

How well do PRS's with the wrabaround bridges take to being drop tuned (drop C)?

I've seen a Studio that has taken my fancy, but wondering how easy it is (for a tech) to set up the guitar with no bridge adjustments ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    The PRS wraparound bridge/tailpiece has grub screws for fine end-to-end adjustment.

The pre-determined intonation compensation ridge is calculated for string sets in the range 009-042 to 010-052. Any heavier than that and you probably need a different ridge shape.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000

hmm, I've been on 11-52 for a while on my s2 24, would consider going heavier, probably not lighter.

Sounds like a new bridge would be neaded.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    try it and see, but generally heavy strings and drop tunings and most go for the similar bridge with adjustable saddle s- direct replacement but not cheap - RS dealers can order them - around £200ish
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000

The guitar itself is already more than I told myself I could spend, so not really able to chuck more money into hardware L/

Cheers for the responses !

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    There's a cheaper adjustable bridge that fits by Tone Pros. 

I tune to drop B and the adjustable is necessary at that point (I use 11-64). 

At C with a 52 it'd probably be usable but not ideal. YMMV 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3492
    It handles it fine.  I have 11-56 dropped to C# and it itonates great. Small fine tuning of the little grub screws is all it took. 
  • dcgdcg Frets: 248
    I've had two PRS USA guitars with a wraparound bridge (a McCarty and an SC245); both good instruments.  However, it wasn't until I swapped the SC245 bridge for a solid steel Callaham bridge I understood that, despite the quality of the workmanship elsewhere on the guitar, the tone offered by the wraparound was not as good as it could be.  The Callaham upgrade (and it really is that) transforms the guitar.  A buddy of mine with a P90 McCarty did the same thing; another tonal epiphany.  Thus, I'm slightly surprised that even on the uber expensive Dragon efforts, they still appear to have a lightweight cast bridge.  Callaham mill their replacements from solid steel and, believe me, the effort and expense is well worth it.  The only downside is that they no longer advertise them on their website...
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I use a Mira X in drop C and the bridge is just fine. i'm using 11-48 strings.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    From what I've heard of drop tuning stuff, perfect intonation isn't high on the list of requirements.
     :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    Sassafras said:
    From what I've heard of drop tuning stuff, perfect intonation isn't high on the list of requirements.
    So just like most rock acts from the 60s and 70s then
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Only one way to find out! 

Hopefully the bridge end to end grub screws will intonate it to a good enough standard across the board. 

For me, my guitar or intonation can be out by a few marks, I wouldnt be able to hear it though. Crappy ears though haha.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Sassafras said:
    I'd disagree, the drop tuned bands of today need perfect intonation, hence the introduction of fanned frets etc. 

The chops are tight and the technique and tuning is spot on.