I do love this kind of sound...

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7751

Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    I have no idea what he is talking about...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Red ones are better. 
  • Was it this one?

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7751
    yes, but do skip ahead 

ta
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Excellent illustration of why I don't like these type of amps!

Admittedly some of it is probably down to being recorded with a camera mic, but it's buzzy, nasal and has no bottom end or real top end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

See it's the softness in there that I like - the slight sag even on clean. And the louder=fatter thing.

When I moved away from that sort of amp (actually only due to reliability on the one I had) and went the Dr Z route my bandmates immediately preferred the new amp, as do I in band applications, but for noodling and blazing solo I really miss this sort of sound. 

As for low end - pfft - keys and bass have it covered :-D 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    TimmyO said:
    See it's the softness in there that I like - the slight sag even on clean. And the louder=fatter thing.
    I hear the softness, although to me it's not the same as the soft depth you get from a much bigger amp, but I hear no fatness in that sound at all. It just gets raspier as you turn it up, and farty if you do try to make it bassier.

TimmyO said:
    As for low end - pfft - keys and bass have it covered :-D 
    Depends on the band. The last band I was in, there were no keyboards and the bassist only used subsonics :).

I agree about that sort of sound fitting in with a denser mix, but I still don't like the inherent nasal tone of it. I can get that sound out of most cheap solid-state amps if I want it ;).

Each to their own of course :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I know (I think) the sound you're talking about - I do hear that 'ok this has gone too far now' honk in some of the Bonamassa-type sounds (although not always and not singling him out) - actually Carlos Santana, that's where it gets far too much. 

My Dr Z is a far more 'sorted' sound in every way, (I'll say it) 'better' in every respect: I can make it cut without killing, make the low end felt though my feet on stage (when the bassist isn't joining me on the beat) . I think I just imprinted on this sort of sound early on so always have a soft-spot for it. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • It's because he's wearing a Tone Tracksuit. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    did he have a "tone hat"  tho ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878
    I love listening to that sound, but most of the time I can't get on with playing with that sound.

I'd like to hear that with a good strat though.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited February 2014
    I see your video, and I raise you this one.