Rivera era Fender Super Champ - closest modern equivalent?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1678
    ICBM said:
    exocet said:

I could be wrong but I think the European equivalent was the ECH42
    No, that's not remotely the same type of valve, the 6C10 is a triple triode. I'm almost certain there is no substitute for the 6C10.

However, there is a simple way of modding the amp so you don't need one at all... as stock, the reverb driver is a paralleled 12AT7 (standard for Fender) and the 6C10 is used for the reverb recovery, intermediate gain stage and phase inverter.

If you remove one half of the 12AT7 from the reverb driver (change the cathode resistor to 1.2K), you can then use the spare half for the reverb recovery, put an adaptor plate over the 6C10 socket hole and fit a 12AX7 for the intermediate stage and phase inverter. This does reduce the amount of reverb slightly, although not that much - but why they didn't design the amp like that in the first place rather than using an obscure valve type, I have no idea.

Thanks John. 

That mod sounds a little above my pay grade though! The closest good tech to me is Dan Whitelock-Jones who would easily be able to do this, however it would cost me more than buying an NOS replacement from Derek Rocco. 

The amp is going to need work when it arrives anyway, so I'll assess the situation when I'm actually looking inside the chassis.

Do you have a UK source for the CE Multicaps? The last one I got for the Champ II I had to get a friend in the US to send me one.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    Ossyrocks said:

Do you have a UK source for the CE Multicaps? The last one I got for the Champ II I had to get a friend in the US to send me one.
    No, when I've needed one I've imported them from the US as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MCluerMCluer Frets: 34
    @osssyrocks, can't help with the current draw on the 6V6's. That's above my involvement level. I'm just a switch on, plug in and play kind of guy!! Sorry I can't be more helpful.
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 421
    Nice one Rob, good price.
    RickLucas said:
    Nice one Rob, good price.
    Cheers Rick, I think so too.

So, as this was an eBay purchase, here’s the listing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274825322067
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I bid on one recently that was on the Isle of Wight, collection only!
    edited June 2021
    RickLucas said:
    I bid on one recently that was on the Isle of Wight, collection only!
    Ha ha. I think he’s listed that a few times. It may be the same one, I won one there once at a price he wouldn’t let it go for and he wriggled out of it.
    I was looking forward to the drive to collect it, but he didn't accept the offer, which was probably twice what you just paid.

RickLucas said:
    I was looking forward to the drive to collect it, but he didn't accept the offer, which was probably twice what you just paid.

Plus, have you checked the ferry prices to get over and back? Not cheap.

I do know someone who has two of them, which I don’t think get used much. I can ask if he’ll sell one if you really are looking.
    Ossyrocks said:
    RickLucas said:

I do know someone who has two of them, which I don’t think get used much. I can ask if he’ll sell one if you really are looking.
    Depends on the price, I guess.
    RickLucas said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    RickLucas said:

Depends on the price, I guess.
    Well, I just had a little chat on messenger with him about it. Not for sale I’m afraid. But he turns out to be Veldt666 from earlier in this thread! I wonder how many people I know who I don’t know on here?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Ossyrocks said:

No, when I've needed one I've imported them from the US as well.
    @ICBM , Just for info for the future, I have managed to source one from Germany. The US suppliers won't ship unless I spend at least £135. Here's the German link:

https://www.banzaimusic.com/CE-Mfg.-80x40x30x20uF-525V.html
  • I got a replacement cap for my SC from here. http://www.die-wuestens.de/eindex.htm
  • BorkBork Frets: 259
    Congrats on snagging that SC @Ossyrocks ;

Mesa Boogie Studio .22 1x12 is the closest I've found so far..  in terms of boosted lead but I'm expecting to be shot down on technical aspects. 

[This space for rent]

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    Bork said:

Mesa Boogie Studio .22 1x12 is the closest I've found so far..  in terms of boosted lead but I'm expecting to be shot down on technical aspects.
    It is a very different circuit, but it does sound in the same ballpark - that all-mid Boogie-type lead sound. They’re all coming from the same place originally - a highly boosted Fender BF-type circuit, where if you don’t roll off everything except the mids it sounds horribly farty and fizzy... like the pull boost on a 70s Twin Reverb.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Bork said:
    Congrats on snagging that SC @Ossyrocks ;

Cheers. It’s not here yet, and will need work when it arrives. I used to have a Studio 22 in the 80’s when they first came out, it was my main amp for a few years, so I should be able to make an educated comparison of the two.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1982
    ICBM said:
    Bork said:

It is a very different circuit, but it does sound in the same ballpark - that all-mid Boogie-type lead sound. They’re all coming from the same place originally - a highly boosted Fender BF-type circuit, where if you don’t roll off everything except the mids it sounds horribly farty and fizzy... like the pull boost on a 70s Twin Reverb.
    Which is basically the foundations of mystical Dumble Overdrive Tone!