Line 6 DT25 or similar - suggestions?

Wiggum32Wiggum32 Frets: 19
Hey folks - as the title suggests, I'm after a decent, versatile combo for home use/small gigs.
I'm quite impressed with the DT 25 by Line 6 but was wondering if any of you good folk have any suggestions for similar type amps!
Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I have a DT-25 and love it even divorced from the rest of the so called "Dream Rig" becasue ti has some nice tones whether you use it as a 2 channels amp or add a MIDI board to access the total 30 pre amps facsimiles.

If not I would look at the H & K Switchblade whihc has 4 channels and again a MIDI stageboard to control it and allows for 128 variations of these 4 channels. it has some pretty useable effects but you don't have to use them on your patches.

Check out Thomas Blug's Switchblade demos on Youtube.

They also have a FX Loop which can be set on/off and serial/parallel per patch so flexible to use pedals with, or a multi FX too.

The Bognor Alchemist is a nice amp too and can be had cheap 2nd hand and the odd NOS one. The DT-25 shares the same DNA being designed by Reinhardt Bognor. It also has Reverb and Delay FX built in whihc are pretty useable.
  • Egnater Tweaker?
    Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
  • Another DT 25 user here, nice amp by my reckoning.

I am curious @johnnyurq, as to what parts of the signal path (and hence sound) are good old analogue and what parts are digital contributions ?   When I bought it I assumed from the blurb that it was digitally controlled analogue, so I am really not sure what is doing what ?   Sounds good though  :)

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Yes @ChrisMusic my understanding that it is mostly digitally controlled analogue, although not using relays or whatever as in the DT-50 range, But there were drawbacks to that I believe in any case.

Having said that the update that allowed the configuring of any of the 30 pre amp "models" for the 4 topologies must have some logic to store them and when using the DT-25balong with an HD POD via Line 6 link the pre amps are derived form the POD mainly with the power section being reconfigured analogue paths via digital switching/logic.

Now that is what yer man Bognor reports it as (can't find the link at the mo) how it all works so not quite a digital modelly as some would it have if true.

But the main test for me is that it does sound good to my ears so that is all I need, others mileage may vary and that is cool because it is always down to subjective tastes of each of us.
  • Thanks for that @johnnyurq.  If you find the link sometime I would love to check it out.

I am on the learning curve again after years off from playing, so I am keen to understand how the current kit works.  By my reckoning that should make the GAS funds a bit more targeted, and me more happy with the journey I am now on, and as a designer, I always like to understand stuff.  I just need to add to that and say, playing is a blast, why on earth did I ever stop ! ....

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    Ive had the dt25 and thought it wad a brilliant amp for home use and recording,when funds got a bit tight i had to sell it, i was all set to buy another when i tried the prs se 20, definately not as versatile as the dt but the tones it has are excellent at all volume levels.
  • Thanks for all your comments folks - sounds like the DT25 is the way forward!!
  • Give it a go, I doubt You'll be disappointed. Very versatile and good sounding amps - I used it for couple years and never had reliability issues either which is important. They look all right too.