A separate for-trade/swap only Classifieds section?

What's Hot
I wonder if it would be good to have a 'swap shop' type section in the Classifieds?  Too often, when placing a cash-only ad in Classifieds, people reply with 'Any trades?' and the answer is usually no, or people offer things that the seller doesn't want, so maybe it's better to have section where the seller definitely does want to trade and wants to trade for some thing(s) specific.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    Surely the answer is just to specify if you want trades or not.

VIrtually no one ever wants to trade exclusively and it's one more section for people to check.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Or people could just include a statement about trades in the ad.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27078
    edited May 2017
    Agree with these two. I don't believe anyone actually believes their stuff is for trade only. if you'd accept a trade of a specific item then surely you'd accept enough money to go and buy said item. 

Likewise, unless selling to fund an urgent car repair or whatever, then most of us are open to trade offers, even if the chance are we'll say to almost all of them. You never know when someone might offer something interesting.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I have no interest in trades but I'd like to see want to buy in its own section - as has been mentioned numerous times before by some of us!
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited May 2017
    The problem is that not much is selling, and there needs to be a better way of matching people who have X but want Y.

The current setup seems very inefficient. Maybe a separate WTB section would address this.

I have a CS Strat but want a Helix, AxeFX, UA Apollo, or Prophet 6 (or 12). When I list my Strat I get lowball offers or trades for a big old valve amp. I guess my new sub forum request is purely selfish!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27598
    "WTT:  CS Strat for Helix/AxeFX/etc"

In your ad, you say what you'd ideally like to trade for, what you might consider, and what you absolutely don't need.  And a sale price.

TBH, arranging a trade has got to be significantly more difficult than arranging separate sales & buys.  You've got to find someone else who's got what you want but who doesn't want it anymore, and does want what you've got but don't want anymore.  

Then you've got to agree on the respective valuations ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.