Old bloke needs a 50 wat valve combo amp

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    ICBM said:
    Another possibility is a genuine vintage amp, but something of a 'lesser' brand like WEM. Although not quite the same circuit as the 60s ones, a 70s WEM should be well within your budget even allowing for some servicing work, and they do very much have that sound. (With booster/overdrive pedal optional.)
    Late model Selmer T'n'Bs (the slightly boring looking ones with the plain silver facia) look like absolute bargains at the moment and can definitely do the old-skool "Cranked Plexi" thing.

I really must get one before the rush starts...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    I would save up a £200 quid extra and go for a used Marshall 1974x. They have that definitive era sound in a moderate package. One trick ponies though... but THAT sound nonetheless.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Seriously, try out a DSL40c if you can, its really good. I worked in a guitar shop for a bit and it was always that one i fired up to demo gear for customers, or if it was quiet, have a blast myself. 
  • thanks for the advice Nick I will be looking out for the DSL 40 c.
    I was also inpressed with Marshall 1974x that certainly did have the tone i am looking f
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019

I was also inpressed with Marshall 1974x that certainly did have the tone i am looking f
    If there's any way you can afford it this is the right answer. Although bear in mind that it has no master volume, so if you want that sound at controllable volume you will probably also need an attenuator.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rlw said:
    Coda have a Blues Cube Artist secondhand for sale - loud and within budget too

Well I bit the bullet and bought an amp, it was the one that rlw suggested, so thank you rlw.

The reason for choosing this is a lot to do with the weight compared to a valve amp, I had bowel cancer 4 years ago (all ok now, so no sympathy), but some muscle tissue has been removed along with some bowel, hence the weight consideration.

To be honest I have listened to a lot of the demonstrations of the amp and it’s not the ‘bluesbreaker’ tone I was after, but it sounded ok and hopefully it will do the job.

Thanks again especially ICBM who seems to be a fountain of knowledge with regards to amps.

Much appreciated all your comments

Colin (or ivor-honda)

• rlw said:

Well I bit the bullet and bought an amp, it was the one that rlw suggested, so thank you rlw.

The reason for choosing this is a lot to do with the weight compared to a valve amp, I had bowel cancer 4 years ago (all ok now, so no sympathy), but some muscle tissue has been removed along with some bowel, hence the weight consideration.

To be honest I have listened to a lot of the demonstrations of the amp and it’s not the ‘bluesbreaker’ tone I was after, but it sounded ok and hopefully it will do the job.

Thanks again especially ICBM who seems to be a fountain of knowledge with regards to amps.

Colin (or ivor-honda)

Congratulations on getting an all okay, and don't worry - weight of kit is an ever-ongoing issue on this forum. 

Lots of happy blues cube owners on here, @Wazmeister has had his share of extremely high end amps and he reckons the blues cube is worth every penny. 

Hope you like the amp! If it doesn't quite provide the sound you want (it'll probably get close enough tbh, don't be too fussy ;) ) there are lots of pedals available that might help. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    ivor-honda said:

I'm just a very boring amp repairer/tinkerer with a retentive memory which I have to find an outlet for.

;)

Glad you got something suitable - I think you'll agree that solid-state and digital amps have come a *long* way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    Glad you found one mate, they are highly regarded so i reckon you'll be happy. 
    Don't forget to do a NAD (new amp day) post to show it off!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    @ivor-honda MJW was a British hand built brand, he's stopped building for now. When they do show up in the classifieds they go so cheaply for the quality.
    I can't see myself ever parting with mine.
  • ennspek said:
    @ivor-honda MJW was a British hand built brand, he's stopped building for now. When they do show up in the classifieds they go so cheaply for the quality.
    I can't see myself ever parting with mine.

Thanks for that ennspek, if the amp sounds like it looks then they must be pretty good.

The amp i bought should arrive Monday or Tuesday so i have a NAD then.

Colin
  • PS does my avatar remind you of a Teletubby?
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4759
    rlw said:

Colin (or ivor-honda)

The right pedal will do the trick.  Always happy to help, or at least have an opinion.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.