Compared 3 J-45 models...

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
a Standard current production, a 'custom' which cost a bit more and what was I think the Vintage/True Vintage which cost a lot more.

Annoyingly the Vintage model was head and shoulders above the other 2!

All 3 were nice guitars with nothing wrong with them (thought that worth mentioning due to folks' comments on Gibson QC) but that vintage one kind of spoiled the other 2... 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4213
    Yes, the True Vintage is a real step up from the standard (and the Vintage is a step further adding torrefaction into the mix).

Adi and mahogany is just such a great combo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Ah right - this one said just 'Vintage' - was great

The one that said 'Custom' wasn't that 'better' than the Standard just a smidge different

I also tried a Songwriter Deluxe Studio - it was nice too in a different way 
    Red ones are better. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4213
    edited June 2017
    I believe the Custom is rosewood back and sides which would account for the difference (but also the similarity as the top and braces are the same as the standard).
  • Yeah, the custom is rosewood back and sides... so, to my ear, the tone of the Custom includes more harmonics - it sort of sounds richer, like there's more going on. I've played some very nice Customs - but they don't necessarily have the sound that people usually associate with a J45. That said... I quite like their tone - and could easily buy one (if I had the cash!).

However, the mahogany b&s models have a tone that's more focussed on the fundamental note - with fewer harmonics.

I seem to remember there are many significant specification/build differences between the Vintage and the Standard.

I travelled up and down the country trying various models of J45... and the one I fell for was the 2016 Vintage model, with the torrefied top. The top is very thin... the guitar weighs next to nothing... and it's easily one of the most resonant acoustics I've played in the few decades.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    The best sounding J45 I ever played was a limited ed. Koa model. I'd have bought it if it hadn't been the poopiest of poo-burst.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Might be worth having a go on the J29, this is a J45 shape model with rosewood back and sides.
    for me the J-45 has the mojo, and a certain sound - that's the appeal. For a plain spruce/rosewood guitar there are a LOT of other options (imho)
    Red ones are better. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    Might be an obvious thing - but did you check the tuning of all of them with the same tuner before you started?

A lot of acoustics end up tuned by ear in shops in my experience, meaning some can be sharper or flatter than other guitars you're trying.  This will affect your perception of the tone and feel of the instrument.  It's such a basic thing but given there are phone app tuners these days it's much easier to take this variable out of the equation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Might be an obvious thing - but did you check the tuning of all of them with the same tuner before you started?

A lot of acoustics end up tuned by ear in shops in my experience, meaning some can be sharper or flatter than other guitars you're trying.  This will affect your perception of the tone and feel of the instrument.  It's such a basic thing but given there are phone app tuners these days it's much easier to take this variable out of the equation.
    Yep, I usually ask for a tuner when I go in the shop, for exactly these reasons.

I didn't no. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4261
    edited June 2017
    Agree with Lewy, Something great about Adi/Mahogany. I have played more great guitars with that, than with any other wood combo. Can sound radically different with different brands, but always seems to work really well.

The top end Gibson acoustics are usually really good and pretty consistent. I have a J45 Legend and it is way different to any regular J45 that I have played. It's my absolute favourite I have owned, from a plethora of Martins, Bourgeois, SCGC, Collings, Lowdens, etc. If you can manage the monster necks, the Legends are great guitars. Definitely a lifelong keeper for me, and I imagine it's best years are still to come.