Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NJD (New Junior Day) !

What's Hot
DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
Now,

Many of you may be better looking than me,
Most of you are probably skinnier than me,
Many of you will have a more luxurious head of hair than me,
And as long as you've been playing guitar for longer than six months you're probably a better guitarist than me.

BUT !

I'm the one who's Missus gave him this:

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/JXG Junior Pics/8aacc65256b524ec41fef9de10f14427_zps6ddc5314.jpg

As a (slightly belated) 40th birthday gift, and therefore, for this ten minute slot in the show, I RULE !

Laydeez & Genlemenn I give you a slew of shots of my new JXG Guitars DC Les Paul Jr

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/JXG Junior Pics/DSCF0009_edited_zps2e223f28.jpg

(better representation of the colour)

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/JXG Junior Pics/DSCF0012_edited_zpsfeee9f9f.jpg

(check out my birthday related serial number)

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/JXG Junior Pics/9c6241ac91ef61e2638eb96428669695_zps615239ce.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/JXG Junior Pics/e05089a4aa72ecf55d2cf01764383df6_zps6a03cfa4.jpg

some discreet 'comfort contouring' ideal for the larger lad

check out the, err checking on the finish

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/JXG Junior Pics/69e47c39f5323a39c492c18fc0eace6d_zps30e0d292.jpg

More Pics here:

http://s526.photobucket.com/user/lorddonricci/library/JXG Junior Pics

born out of a confluence of events mid November last year, namely:
  • Interparcel doing their level best to turn my MIJ 83 Burny SG Jr into matchwood enroute to Jooky for a lend
  • My long suffering wife Zoey getting utterly stuck for a gift for my impending 40th in January
  • Jason (@JD0272) posting the thread about his recently finished JXG DC Jr

So contact was made with John @ JXG who was fortuitously about to commence build on a pair of DC Jr's of which Zoey snapped one up for me,

Meanwhile @Jookychap was surreptitiously harvesting the strip tuners, BKP90 pickup, Shugz wiring loom & Faber lightweight compensated ally tailpiece off of the broken & battered SG and substituting them for cheaper components before it was collected by the courier company that had killed it so that they could be recycled & used on the new build.

A new build which features a lovely fat neck with heavy rolled fingerboard edges and 6105 frets, some comfort contouring to the rear ala Collings DC290, and an incredible relic'ed finish for which my instruction to John was simply "Make it look like Jason's one" with the exception of the me specific serial number.

It arrived in the middle of a thunderstorm yesterday, clutched by a sodden UPS man. I know that you're meant to leave these things to acclimatise before opening the case but after 20 minutes the excitement got the better of me and I had it open.

Love at first sight I tell you.

Plugged it straight into the Budda and there it is, everything you could ever want out of an electric guitar plugged into a cooking valve amp, you hit it and it comes alive in your hands, the whole thing just vibrates.

Smack the strings hard and it roars so loud I'm grinning like the 15 year old Rob who was allowed to plug into a real amp for the first time.

Must confess I did rip through "Personality Crisis" a couple of times..

My right arm is currently still not fully functioning so playtime was limited but I shall follow up with more detail as I get more time with the guitar, but in conclusion, yes, you do want a JXG Junior. trust me

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That looks fantastic. Congratulations!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Cool - that is one groovy guitar - usual JXG excellence of course (though worryingly I now know you are younger than me), I have less hair, a wider girth and 15 minutes less in the good playing bank.

But far more importantly, that is beautiful - Happy (belated) birthday :)

So, if we used Parcel2Go this time, do you think...no, maybe not :)

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    edited February 2014

God thats Nice

I dont even like juniors but I can see the beauty in that thing

The checking on the final picture puts me in mind of an old formica worktop my nan used to have in her kitchen

But I assume that was part of your brief right?

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    So glad it arrived ok! What a lovely looking guitar - cool as anything.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042

God thats Nice

I dont even like juniors but I can see the beauty in that thing

The checking on the final picture puts me in mind of an old formica worktop my nan used to have in her kitchen

But I assume that was part of your brief right?

Not your Nan's worktop specifically no, because in that instance we would've had to incorporate the worktop mounted can opener (remember those bad boys ?) but yes broadly speaking...
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Looks great, well done. :D

• cm01cm01 Frets: 547
    Wow, that is lovely!
  • badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 856
    edited February 2014
    That looks amazing. 
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 950
    edited February 2014
    DrBob said:
    I know that you're meant to leave these things to acclimatise before opening the case but after 20 minutes the excitement got the better of me and I had it open.

You do realise that finish was perfect until you did that, right? ;)

Very nice. Think I got a box of Allsorts or something for my 40th :)

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Good lad! Looks bloody lovely Rob. I think I've got one lying around somewhere.....   ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Oh my.  

I like the contouring, too - very cool, very custom.  

I won't ask how it sounds because I know it'll sound the absolute ball bags.

I'm currently single.  How do I find a guitar buying ladee?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    Nice wife !!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    My Mrs bought mine too. Bless. You can't find guitar buying women, but if ya lucky they evolve into one .
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    That I like. Congratulations young man!

• shugzshugz Frets: 775
    Congrats :)

I can speak from experience how good John's Juniors are. In fact, here's my one pictured with my old Gretsch CG. It's nice to hear a Shugzloomz kit is in it too, good choice!

Enjoy the new (old) Junior,

cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4318
    I call dibs on that guitar. And that wife.

shugz said:
    Congrats :)

I can speak from experience how good John's Juniors are. In fact, here's my one pictured with my old Gretsch CG. It's nice to hear a Shugzloomz kit is in it too, good choice!

Enjoy the new (old) Junior,

cheers
    Hugh
    That loom kit is tough man ! it survived the 'Interparcel Incident' and is now living life in it's new home !
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    It also survived being worn as a necklace for a 7yo for the hour it took me to notice it didn't say Hello Kitty on it...

Err, I never mentioned that Rob, did I..?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Wow! Just awesome...! Congratulations, that man!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

JookyChap said:
    It also survived being worn as a necklace for a 7yo for the hour it took me to notice it didn't say Hello Kitty on it...

Err, I never mentioned that Rob, did I..?
    No, no you didn't. Thank christ she didn't choke herself with it ! (insert entirely inappropriate 'treble choke' gag here)..