Racism in TV adverts

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Now you come to mention it, I have noticed a lack of beavers in the Compare The Market ads.

Though I guess you do have a couple of ethnic minority homosexuals. Neither in a wheelchair though, hmmmmm.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Now you come to mention it, I have noticed a lack of beavers in the Compare The Market ads.

Though I guess you do have a couple of ethnic minority homosexuals. Neither in a wheelchair though, hmmmmm.
    Yep. And how many meerkats do you see in the UK? None. Bloody meerkats coming over here and pinching jobs from hard working British cats. Its a disgrace ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited June 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    My theory is that the ad agencies or their clients are being racist by not representing interracial couples fairly.  I think that perhaps they feel that white women are sacrosanct and that portraying a white woman with a black guy would upset some viewers, or subconsciously negatively affect the image of the product by tying in with people's closet racism, and that's a risk they don't want to take in an industry that is all about image and perceptions.

I believe that a LOT of people, probably over 50%, are closet racists to some degree, most probably not even realising it.  Though perhaps the word 'racist' is too strong, when it really is about the phenomenon of suspicion and concern about other nationalities or folks who are different to you, particularly if they are moving in next door.  That's less of an overt dislike than a natural suspicion of something they've never had any experience of.  
    You really are a wanker sometimes. If you walk around thinking that 50% of the people you see are "probably racists, although I don't want to use the word racist coz it makes me look like a nobber" then you've got some serious issues.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6168
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    My theory is that the ad agencies or their clients are being racist by not representing interracial couples fairly.  I think that perhaps they feel that white women are sacrosanct and that portraying a white woman with a black guy would upset some viewers, or subconsciously negatively affect the image of the product by tying in with people's closet racism, and that's a risk they don't want to take in an industry that is all about image and perceptions.

I believe that a LOT of people, probably over 50%, are closet racists to some degree, most probably not even realising it.  Though perhaps the word 'racist' is too strong, when it really is about the phenomenon of suspicion and concern about other nationalities or folks who are different to you, particularly if they are moving in next door.  That's less of an overt dislike than a natural suspicion of something they've never had any experience of.  
    You really are a wanker sometimes. If you walk around thinking that 50% of the people you see are "probably racists, although I don't want to use the word racist coz it makes me look like a nobber" then you've got some serious issues.
    You really are a wanker most of the time. You've totally misrepresented what he's said. I think Emp_Fab has a genuine point (far more so than you have). Perhaps it's an age related issue, people of Emp's age grew up in a very different world to you. They're aware that racism is wrong, don't wish to encourage it but at the same time were bought up at a time when it was routinely okay to disparage people of different races. For the record, I think he's pretty much right, (excepting the advertising, though he's not far off the facts there either). It's telling that the examples shown are xmas feelgood ads aimed at proving how inclusive, caring and fuzzywarm John Lewis, Sainsburys etc are. In the general run of the mill afternoon tv stuff, racial stereotyping definitely exists, as does ageism.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Interracial couples are the new chavs and ICM£5

:grin:

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Interracial couples are the new chavs and ICM£5

:grin:
    I'll PayPal gift you ...

JezWynd said:

You really are a wanker most of the time. You've totally misrepresented what he's said. I think Emp_Fab has a genuine point (far more so than you have). Perhaps it's an age related issue, people of Emp's age grew up in a very different world to you. They're aware that racism is wrong, don't wish to encourage it but at the same time were bought up at a time when it was routinely okay to disparage people of different races. For the record, I think he's pretty much right, (excepting the advertising, though he's not far off the facts there either). It's telling that the examples shown are xmas feelgood ads aimed at proving how inclusive, caring and fuzzywarm John Lewis, Sainsburys etc are. In the general run of the mill afternoon tv stuff, racial stereotyping definitely exists, as does ageism.
    Oh yeah ... Dreams advert .. run in the afternoon .. I only picked on the JL adverts as I remember them .. over 1 in 10 families in the UK are mixed race .. that's a lot of cash for advertisers. Look at areas like London and the figure rises ..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    JezWynd said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I already said racial stereotyping does exist in advertising. That's not the thing I object to.

But to assert that 50% of people are "closet racists" is pretty paranoid and blinkered thinking. You know who I think is racist?? The people who do and say racist things!! End of.

PS: You're a non-entity most of the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I keep telling my wife we're mixed race and isn't it cool lol. She gets tired of me claiming she's Hispanic and using a fake Mexican accent all the time. Can't think why.....
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited June 2017
    Honestly I think this is half a thing, because of course Adverts are to sell an image of a product, and half an over thinking thing from some older generations, because it's also just not really a thing these days.

Mixed race couples are normal.  In our close group of friends there are 4 mixed marriages alone.  Also skin colour doesn't necessarily mean anything for culture anyway.  You can look like any race and be British
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4695
    It's all the current TV series that have gone overboard with having gay couples.
    Supergirl, The Green Arrow, Flash, All the Marvel Series on Netflix and Even "Once upon a time". 

Yeah. And don't get me started on all the hetero couples. They seem to be everywhere!!
    We have a number of gay couple friends, and they are constantly complaining that the gay thing being inserted because it's now the "right on thing to do".
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Axe_meister said:
    We have a number of gay couple friends, and they are constantly complaining that the gay thing being inserted because it's now the "right on thing to do".
    Yeah - I have a couple of gay friends as well - it just seems to be the right thing to do....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I had my dick in a dudes mouth before it was cool.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16362
    edited June 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:

Like a cave? 

Edit: I misread what Drew wrote so my comment makes no sense. But I'll stand by it...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    you're not wrong - even the last John Lewis Xmas tried hard...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Are you Jewish?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited June 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    Posh git.  I can't ffw through them unless I've paused the programme I'm watching. 
    every time you put the kettle on, go for a was, etc hit pause..
    if you drink enough tea you'll piss enough to accumulate enough time to avoid having to sit through adverts..

this tip was brought to courtesy of Budweiser and Coca Cola
    the white man is drinking the beer whilst his Afro-Carib girlfriend drinks the coke
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

Fretwired said:
    JezWynd said:

Oh yeah ... Dreams advert .. run in the afternoon .. I only picked on the JL adverts as I remember them .. over 1 in 10 families in the UK are mixed race .. that's a lot of cash for advertisers. Look at areas like London and the figure rises ..

so is the puppy mixed race?
    play every note as if it were your first
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Sambostar?
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 784
    edited June 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:

So, you had your dick in a hot dude's mouth?