What Was Your Worst Gig and Why?

What's Hot

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Done a few covers ones with punters requesting stuff we didn't know.
    Sorry about that mate.  I just assumed everyone knows "Supper's Ready"... :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1119
    Ravenous said:
    Done a few covers ones with punters requesting stuff we didn't know.
    Sorry about that mate.  I just assumed everyone knows "Supper's Ready"... :)
    Lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Wait, there's one I just remembered. The switching on of Westgate village lights in the depths of December. And before anyone gets too excited, it's not exactly Regent Street. They had a shitty, makeshift stage made of scaffolding and boards which was threatening to collapse at any moment. The previous 'act' was a pair of pantomime dames, then us. It was so fucking cold we all had to wear coats and hats. They had a fucking reindeer just down the street, it was so cold. The drummer had parked his van behind the 'stage', and unbeknown to us had a case of extra strong lager stashed in one of his drum cases which he was steadily getting through. I've got photos somewhere, we look proper miserable.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4695
    boogieman said:
    The Hamsters where an excellent band. Looks like they've all fully retired, can find any info in what the members are doing now,

Slim is fully retired. I thought he'd knock it on the head for a while and be back with another band or line up but it seems 25 years on the road has completely knackered him. Last time I spoke to him he said he had taken up gardening !!! Such a waste, he's a great guitarist and a bloody good singer too. 

Otis is fully retired too. I think he lives in Cyprus nowadays. He had a heart condition and had to have a defibrillator fitted. He was starting to struggle with all the gigging anyway. 

Zsa Zsa has put out a solo album (Andy Billups: Afton Down). It's very different from the Hamsters stuff, much more MOR/folky rock. He's just announced he's doing some gigs with a Free tribute band called Tons of Sobs, sounds interesting. 
    I had a good many chats with Slim in the early 90s (god he had a bad taste in shirts), He had his best sound (in my opinion) when he was running a bunch of Musicman amps, and CE-1 chorus.
    They sure where a hard working band, I was a road warrior at the time (in IT) and bumbed into them a few times at various petrol stations filling up the van.
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    edited June 2017
    Oh god I've done two back to back on tour, 
    The first one was in Hull. 
    Got to the Ringside, set up, sound checked no problems. The band we were on tour with set up, sound checked no problems, the local support showed up, pretty sure they saw our 5150's and mesa's and thought they'd try their luck a minute or so later the promoter comes over and says the local bands amps have both broken could they use ours, we politely tell them that we're on tour and we don't like letting people use our amps but it's fine to use our cabs. We head back to the van for a rest 10 minutes pass and there's a knock on the van door one of the local bands dads says "you've got something he needs" points at his son we say "what's that?" An amp he replies our singer that was sat at the door explained we wouldn't be letting them use our gear and why did he show up to the gig not fetching anything to which the dad said "well it'll take me 15 minutes to drive home and get his, our singer said you better get moving then and slammed the door. 
    We headed back into the venue to see it packed out the local band starts playing everything is hunky dory, 
    The band we were on tour go on and immediately start getting heckled because the bass player was Indian so they play three songs and pack up, we go on and by this point of the night everyone seems to have gone so we play to the promotor a couple of kids that stuck around and a drunk racist that's continually shouting stuff at the other band that we're watching us. 
    We used to go mad while we played so as soon as we started I jump in the table he was sat on kicked his pint into his face and swung my guitar about an inch of his face. He quickly got up and disappeared. We play 5 songs and call it a night. As we're loading the van up the drunk racist is across the street still giving us shit, our mate had come on tour with us to do merch, told the guy he's going to give him a 10 second head start and if he hasn't done one he'll knock him out. The drunk guy starts calling us paki lovers so my mate loses it storms over the road and lands a punch on him rocky balboa would have been proud of, the drunk guy starts shouting for his mates to come out the pub just as we'd loaded up! We jumped in the van and did one!
    The day after the support band realised they'd left a guitar and bass at the pub, we got in touch with promoter who told us that he couldn't  see them anywhere. 

Then there was Grenock the day after... 

I'll post that story when I've got time. 
    2reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4375
    Clarky said:
    my first gig ever..
    couldn't play well enough
    didn't know the song well enough
    rabbit in the headlights stuff
    Same. 

I could play the material. But I shit myself once I saw people coming in. 

Unfortunately when the doors opened I was sat at the back of the stage, on the floor. 

I remained at the back back of the stage, sitting for the whole gig. I was so nervous, I couldn't even stand up. Lol. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12506
    boogieman said:
    The Hamsters where an excellent band. Looks like they've all fully retired, can find any info in what the members are doing now,

Slim is fully retired. I thought he'd knock it on the head for a while and be back with another band or line up but it seems 25 years on the road has completely knackered him. Last time I spoke to him he said he had taken up gardening !!! Such a waste, he's a great guitarist and a bloody good singer too. 

Otis is fully retired too. I think he lives in Cyprus nowadays. He had a heart condition and had to have a defibrillator fitted. He was starting to struggle with all the gigging anyway. 

Zsa Zsa has put out a solo album (Andy Billups: Afton Down). It's very different from the Hamsters stuff, much more MOR/folky rock. He's just announced he's doing some gigs with a Free tribute band called Tons of Sobs, sounds interesting. 
    I had a good many chats with Slim in the early 90s (god he had a bad taste in shirts), He had his best sound (in my opinion) when he was running a bunch of Musicman amps, and CE-1 chorus.
    They sure where a hard working band, I was a road warrior at the time (in IT) and bumbed into them a few times at various petrol stations filling up the van.
    The shirts were just a stage gimmick. ;)

I agree, his earlier tone was way better and his sound got more harsh and processed as he went on. He's a proper gear head though, he had two lockups full of very, very nice stuff at one time. He could have got any tone he wanted really so I guess he went with what he thought sounded good to him. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2343
    edited June 2017
    God I've  had 100's.

Couple spring to mine - the Bath Beer festival  -  around 1000-1200 people in the  bath pavillion -  stage, the promoter has heard the band demo, likes us  (we were doing originals), asks us to come and play and do our set plus learn a few covers.  

We had 1 reahearsal and talked about doing some covers for the night and agree upon some to learn for the gig.

Turn up at the gig,  unload, the room is a tad bright in that all the lights are on full beam in the hall.     Place is full, the stage is huge and we think we're going to rock it.

Plug in play a song, promoter comes up and tells us we're too loud.  We weren't a loud band, so turn down a smidge, he tells us we're too loud again.   We're now barely audible 5 yards from the stage, and people are shouting from the floor for us to turn up.   

We then come to the covers section..  Its a disaster, the drummer and the singer haven't learnt their parts and theres some right fecking horrible sounds coming out.      This was a 2 hour gig. we're about 15 minutes in an hating everything about it.

The rest of the night continues in the same vein, its horrible, the crowd can't hear us, we're playing really badly, the cover versions we're doing sound hideous, the promoter hates us and we're surrounded by beer but not able to drink any of it..

The one time someone did start dancing - they got thrown out.    At the end of the night the promoter  stares at us, hands us the money and then turns around and walks away.

Another honker was a surprise birthday party  I played in a scatch functions band.   Not many people turned up for the birthday party and whilst it started ok it was quite hard to get them up on the floor dancing as it was quite early and they all obviously hadn't seen each for a good while or particularly like each other or know each other.

The bass player had been a professional in the 70's but unfortunately hadn't seemed to have picked up any new songs or a bass guitar since 1972.
     He also said he sang a few songs and volunteered to sing 'wonderful night' . we said ok,    He then proceeded to murder it vocally and on the bass.    It was horrific, for a song that literally has about 5 notes in it, its amazing how many wrong notes he hit whilst squealing like a  banshee being murdered with a rusty spoon over the top of it completely out of tune.   I rammed my hat down over my head as far as it could go and pretended to be invisibile.

The keyboard player then starts playing 'Jar of hearts', it wasn't a great version tho and there were a few jazz notes.  in one of the whaley bits (which to be fair the singer did rather well)   the wife of the birthday boy bursts into tears and runs out of the room.     We're not sure what to do so carry on..

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    CHRISB50 said:
    Clarky said:
    my first gig ever..
    couldn't play well enough
    didn't know the song well enough
    rabbit in the headlights stuff
    Same. 

I could play the material. But I shit myself once I saw people coming in. 

Unfortunately when the doors opened I was sat at the back of the stage, on the floor. 

I remained at the back back of the stage, sitting for the whole gig. I was so nervous, I couldn't even stand up. Lol. 
    that's ok..
    they'd have thought you was Robert Fripp
    play every note as if it were your first
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Big council-run outdoor event to tie in with the Lord Mayor's procession in a very popular city park in Norwich.  Proper dedicated outdoor stage setup a la most summer festivals.  We were due on fairly early, (midday-ish, as I recall) on the Sunday.  I'd been to a wedding the day before and was mightily hung over, but still made it there in plenty of time.  Hitting the water big time to try and rehydrate...no biggie.  Drummer and other guitarist show up.  Great.  A-OK.  Where's bass player?  Oh, he'll be here, don't worry.  You can see where this is gong, right?...So, it gets to 5 minutes before we're due on, and still no sign of him.  We are sweating it majorly now, and in a blind panic.  Friend of our drummer, who happens to own/run the rehearsal space/studio we use all the time offers to fill in on bass.  I am deeply concerned by this.  He reassures us he's heard our demo stuff, and sat in on our rehearsals enough to get through it.  I'm really not happy, but we have to make the call.  After all, how bad can it be?  

We take the stage, and for the first two numbers, this guy fails to hit a single correct note.  It's excruciating.  The crowd is very thin (it's fairly early), but we still manage to clear it.  Literally, the only people left are the girlfriend and a few mates staring up at us, visibly shocked by how bad this is.  Sheepish bassist arrives two songs in, slips onto the stage and takes over.  My overdrive pedal craps out in the next song.  I think we managed 4 or 5 numbers and left very quickly with our heads down.

We rejigged (drummer to bass, other guitarist to drums, me as I was) and slimmed down to a trio within a few days.  Best move we ever made.

Lessons?  Never ever trust anyone who "knows your stuff" to fill in, and having a bass player with a serious drug problem is a recipe for disaster.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6588
    edited June 2017
    One last one:

Went fine in the end but after some confusion from our agent, got to the gig to find, yes, it really WAS a living wake.

if you're not familiar with the concept: Terminally Ill person throws own wake, whilst still here to enjoy it.
    It's one thing listening to a eulogy, totally another when the subject of it is stood in the room listening to it.

To be honest, the only thing that spoiled it as a gig for me was it turned out to be a load of bikers in a club house and our wedding set could have done with a bit more Blues/ Rock....and the guy who joined in on Mustang Sally on harmonica knew it in a different key so of course his kazoo was in the wrong key....still insisted on played along though, the plonker. Atonal
    Jazz, anyone?

• HoofHoof Frets: 498
    Might have just narrowly avoided another one.

Other guitarist in the band texts me last night. "How do you feel about doing a Rockaoke night, think it's gonna be a freebie"

So the stage being invaded by pissed-up have-a-go dickheads slobbering into my microphone, all requests, printing out lyric sheets for our full 60 song repertoire and no cash to show for it?

Where do I sign up?

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6588
    Hoof said:

Other guitarist in the band texts me last night. "How do you feel about doing a Rockaoke night, think it's gonna be a freebie"

So the stage being invaded by pissed-up have-a-go dickheads slobbering into my microphone, all requests, printing out lyric sheets for our full 60 song repertoire and no cash to show for it?

Where do I sign up?

Bloody Nora! I'd run a mile from that!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 498
    Hoof said:

Where do I sign up?

Bloody Nora! I'd run a mile from that!!
    It was an firm "No".

We've had quite a dry spell of gigs lately but I'm really not that desperate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    That would have been the gig my first "proper" band did at the Gladstone Arms, Peterborough.

We'd played there a few times before and went down pretty well, but this time there weren't many people in. Of those people, there was a really weird couple, totally out of it. She was totally drunk by 8pm and he was off his tits on something. Both were rambling and pretty much incoherent and for some reason, he gets it into his head that I look like Jimmy Page. Now, apart from being male and having dark hair, the similarity ends, but he was having none of it. He kept coming up to me, grabbing my hand and saying, "Jimmy! I think you're great!" and generally weirding me out to a level I haven't experienced again. Now, normally I would have politely got rid of him, but he had the general air of Charlie Manson about him, not to mention a fresh cut between his eyes. Even the other guitarist, Alfie (the one who died recently) kept well away from him. Alf wasn't one for putting up with any kind of shit, but today he had that "sorry mate, you're on your own" look on his face.

Anyway, after what seemed like an eternity, it was time to play. I don't think I've ever been so relieved.

After a few songs, his girlfriend, a great, big lump of a woman started shouting for us to play some Bryan Adams songs. We were very much a jangle/psychedelic pop band (think early REM, Rain Parade, etc, played badly) and our singer, who should have known better, chose to take the piss out of her, rather than politely decline. After one quip too many, she launched her full pint glass at the singer. It grazed past his head and caught my wife's shoulder (she was the bass player), whereupon it inverted, spilling the contents over my mandolin before bouncing off it.

Now, I didn't see who threw it, as we were mid-song, so I quickly put my Ric down and turned round, ready to wallop whoever had done it. In the instant it took me to divest myself of my guitar, the landlord had vaulted over the bar, grabbed the pair and thrown them out! I can only imagine he was well practised at the manoeuvre.

We managed to regain our composure fairly quickly, as no one was hurt and the mandolin, although a bit sticky, was otherwise unscathed, and continued with our set.

We never did go back after that.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've posted this one before in the Live confessions thread but to summarise.....

Jam night about 5 or 6 years ago at a club I've not been to for 20 years before that day. Lots of old friends who still drink there, 9 bottle of Newcastle Brown and suddenly it's my turn. Not my amp, no pedals just straight into the front  (Hot Rod Deluxe) and I stupidly told the guy who was setting it for me to make me sound like Paul Weller when I fully intended to play 'Keep on Rockin' in the free world' by Neil Young. To this day I don't know why I said that.
    As I started playing Neil Young the house band looked at me in utter confusion as they were expecting a Paul Weller song, I'd brought the wrong pick with me (3mm timber tones), my guitar sound was WAY too clean and I panicked so I just carried on into the first verse and eventually the band realised what song I was bashing out and joined in. I was very self-conscious at this point, to the extent that it looked like I was tapping my foot...........it was my whole leg shaking through nerves.

So we got through the song and I got off stage quickly, pissed out of my face.
    Nothing got broken, no arguments and despite my initial cock up everyone in the audience seemed fairly friendly but there was a distinct feeling of glaring daggers coming from the house band.
    A day or so later I found out why when I watched the video someone had shot AND posted online.
    In my panic, I'd played every E chord as E MAJOR and I was so pissed I didn't notice.

It sounded like some fucked up kids TV song, it was awful.
    I've never had a drink before going on stage since.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    edited June 2017

The day after the Hull gig we were booked to play Greenock is Scotland. The band we were on tour with was Scottish they had sorted these dates out.

We arrived outside the venue and instantly I didn’t want to play. It was like something out of shameless, a working men’s club in the middle of a council estate! Loads of scally looking lads knocking about.

The promoter came out to meet us and told us not to worry but the venue had been double booked, I thought to myself great we’ll be playing with about 6 bands we’ll headline everyone will have gone home and we’ll play to nobody. Turns out we were double booked with an engagement party that had booked that day!

The owner of the pub said it’d be ok as we were in one room and they were in the other, so we load in the ‘other’ room  is separated from the bit we were in by a bar so not separate at all, we set up to sound check, The drummer whacks his snare the bar man turns round and says its too loud just as I hit a horrible drop c metal chug! “turn it fucking down you cunts” he shouts!  I can see the bar man and the promoter having a chat that doesn’t look good. She comes over and says that the gig will have to be finished by 8.30 as that’s the time the party starts, I’m as happy as a pig in shit as I don’t want to be in that place any longer than needs be.

The promoter pulls the local support so its just us and the tour support playing, its 7.30, doors open a handful of people come in the tour support start playing, the floodgates  open! About 30 or 40 pissed Scottish chavs come in and start kicking off jumping on stage pressing the guitarists’ pedals lobbing pint pots at them basically being massive dicks, the bouncers force them into the other room, turns out they are all the engagement parties’ mates that had been on the piss all day. The band manages 5 songs before giving up. Our turn!

We have a chat and decide the best course of action is to set guitars to kill, so we basically dime a 5150 and a triple rec and a orange ad200b we start playing horrible noisy thrashy stuff at deafen levels. The chavs storm back though and start destroying the place, it was fucking mental! 2 songs in the power is cut to the stage and we’re told to fuck off, we load the van in record time and we’re out of there.

The next day we get a MySpace message from the promoter saying how sorry she was and it was the 1st time she’d put a gig on there, Then we get one from the lass who’s engagement party it was, I really wish I remembered the log in as the message was funny as, it as something along the lines of ‘who the fuck did we think we were, Bon Jovi’ she called us hairy arseholes and she said if we ever go back to Greenock we will get “chibbed”

The rest of the tour was bloody lovely compared to those two days 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I never thought I'd say this but now I know there's one town worse than Hull!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12711
    A few spring to mind...

I was in a punk band and we were booked to play at an outdoor beer festival - brilliant! Except, unbeknown to us, when the landlord's daughter heard that a band was booked, she decided to invite her mate to hold her daughter's christening party at the pub that afternoon. No, I don't understand that logic either.
    So we turn up and there's lots of folks in posh frocks and small children running around. We set up and tbh, we never needed a soundcheck (our sound guy had it all sussed by halfway through the first song, so it was easier), so when we launched into the first song - God Save the Queen - this was the first that the crowd had heard of us.
    This was the point that the children started running away, crying to mummy about the nasty, loud, snarly people on the stage. Overweight, balding men in badly fitting suits started eyeing the stage incredulously. And the landlord's daughter ran screaming to the front of the stage demanding that we stop at once. We didn't... we kept going and cleared the place.
    Great gig.

Many many moons ago my originals band was booked to play at the Standard in Walthamstow (still there?). We rolled up, set up and watched the clock tick away until the 9.30 start time... there wasn't a soul in the pub apart from one bored member of staff. We played a few songs and then got asked to leave by the landlord. That went well.

In about 1994 I treated myself to a Les Paul Custom. It weighed about the same as one of the two AC30s I was gigging, so I also treated myself to a new leather strap. About three songs into the second set, the brand new Gibson tore through the brand new Gibson strap I'd bought with it and I watched it bounce off its headstock  and into the front row of the crowd. Amazingly, apart from a couple of scratches and a broken pickup surround it survived...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom