2»

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    TimmyO said:

I'm supposed to be going to an open mic next week with a mate - it'll be nervewracking taking this but that's a first world problem and no mistake... 
    Does it have a pickup installed?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541
    TimmyO said:

I'm supposed to be going to an open mic next week with a mate - it'll be nervewracking taking this but that's a first world problem and no mistake... 
    Nope
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:

Nope
    I'm all spent up. 

I'll put another couple of unused pedals up for sale while I decide what pickup I want, and if I can bring myself to have the endpin area (and its spalted Koa insert) drilled into!
    Red ones are better. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    TimmyO said:
    jellyroll said:
    @TimmyO - I can't see this in the classifieds yet. Is your internet broken?
    Fuck off! lol 

Yeah I know I was a bit all over the show over the last 6 months - I admit that I went off a bit half-cocked with the 000 and the Yamaha - on the upside it made it clearer to me the sort of sound/feel that I was after. And a bloke in a Maserati got a good deal on a Martin ;-) 

It's a gorgeous guitar.  Stupid comment - but it looks as though it sounds great. Enjoy. 
    Oh my....

I emailed Mike Banarik earlier to see what I could find out about my guitar (plus I wanted to find out what it should be insured for hence his 'quote' comment) - not only did he send a lovely reply but also a link to a picture gallery of its build (!)

https://goo.gl/photos/xG4xaGCn1A5t84f86

Here's what he had to say:

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the email and welcome to the world of handmade guitars! 

I'd be happy to give info on your guitar and glad to hear you're thrilled with it.

It was made for a customer who has a couple of my other guitars and he custom ordered it. He did damage it and asked for my input on fixing it and I believe he had it done correctly and expertly, so it shouldn't be a problem and I don't believe it would harm the sound.

The spruce is something of an anomaly, there are very few guitars made with it and mostly by myself. I had a friend who made archtops with this wood and he gave me a flattop set to try about twenty years ago and the first guitar I made was exactly as you described, responds to soft touch but also handles heavy attack. I found out the supplier and bought a dozen tops. When I ran out the supplier had disappeared and I found out that Spruce is not harvested as a tonewood as the trees normally grow quickly or have multiple flaws which makes minimizes yield to the point of no profitability. 

When I did find the supplier again he told me that he had billets from the same tree that were air dried for twenty plus years that he never cut into sets. I told him I would buy all of it, which I did. So I have been building almost exclusively with this wood the last four years.

The Rosewood is from a board I bought in the late 90s and resawed myself. It has an excellent tap tone, rings for ages.

I believe we made it a bit deeper and put a slight wedge in the sides.

I highly recommend the McIntyre Feather pickup as it is the less intrusive of all the types of acoustic pickups and is very natural sounding. Installing is straight forward as well.

Here's a replacement quote. I will send a photo album documenting your guitar's build.

All the best,
    Mike

:-) 

Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543

That's an absolute beauty of a guitar - I love the birdseye maple label, a lovely touch. Ive often thought that for a hand-builder, taking photos of the build and printing off an album would add almost no cost either in production or purchase of the instrument, but would elevate ownership considerably.

Enjoy.

Adam

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    TimmyO said:

I emailed Mike Banarik earlier to see what I could find out about my guitar (plus I wanted to find out what it should be insured for hence his 'quote' comment) - not only did he send a lovely reply but also a link to a picture gallery of its build (!)

https://goo.gl/photos/xG4xaGCn1A5t84f86

Great pics - and quite special to have such a record. If this does indeed turn out to be your "keeper for life" then it'll be wonderful to look at those photos in decades to come.