emotional attachment?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    usedtobe said:
    End of the day, we can only advise, based on our experiences, and level of sentimentality. I am, or was, the most sentimental guy, I can imagine, but, a while back, we moved to a much smaller house, and life events/circumstances dictated that, new gear had to be more or less, financed by selling something. This brought things into focus, for me. TBH, it's been a godsend! I've got rid of other, smaller, but sentimental items, too.. Not just the guitar I mentioned earlier. 
    If it's not hurting anything, taking up too much room, or stopping you buying something else you'd get use out of, by all means keep it, but, honestly, I've found the clearing out of stuff, quite liberating, and I'm glad it happened. 

Life is short. Do what makes YOU happy..!
    WISDOM my friend ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    Neil said:

I don't get all this "guitars are just tools" stuff personally but if you would rather use the money your Tele brings to buy something else that's fine - although with your collection you are not exactly scratching around. ;)
    I actually do get the "guitars are just tools" thing. I've worked in IT for far too may years than I care to remember and simply view computers as a means to an end and despite having the ability to design systems / solutions using them I have zero interest in using computers for pleasure. In fact I often describe them as a screwdriver, so I can totally see where someone makes a living or part of a living using guitars that they would see them as tools whereas someone like myself uses them solely for the pleasure they give me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    You could lend it out to a friend. I have too many guitars in my flat and was considering getting rid of my Tele but I might lend it to my dad or modify it.
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    @bbill335 I leant it to me niece for about 10 years...she didnt touch it! Came back with mouldy strings! youngsters,eh....?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    I don't play my Les Paul that much but it was my second guitar that I bought myself when I started working so I could never get rid of it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    Photos in the family album will bring all the good times back or even framed photos on the sideboard for extra nostalgia.
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    Sassafras said:
    Photos in the family album will bring all the good times back or even framed photos on the sideboard for extra nostalgia.
    The only pictures on my sideboard are of Terr...oooh, ummm... nevermind:)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited July 2017
    I think that broadly there are three reasons to keep a guitar:

1) You love playing it
    2) If you sell it, there is little or no chance you will be able to find/afford another
    3) 'Sentimental' value

Of course it's possible for a guitar to fall into more than one category - your Tele sounds like it doesn't fall into any of them.

On that basis - there's no reason not to part with it.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    scalino65 said:
    The only pictures on my sideboard are of Terr...
    ...i Hatcher
    ...y Venables
    ...y-Thomas
    ...ance Rattigan
    ...apin Station 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.