Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bought a Victory V40 , returned it the next day.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Chester said:
    ICBM said:
    Telejester said:

the combination of bass light el84s and icepick in the ear v30 aint a happy marriage in my books
    Treble-killing capacitors everywhere in the circuit doesn't help either.

That said the Hurricane didn't sound as bad as the Harlequin...
    Owned a Hellcat which pushed a Marshall 4X12 30 Anny cab nicely - really liked that amp. Lots of open, top end bite. But it's the only Cornford I liked enough to buy back in the day
    I could take or leave the Hellcat but the MK50 was a monster amp

Have another one arriving tomorrow so happy days 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14196
    edited November 2017
    ICBM said:
    RandallFlagg said:

If you listen to The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and the Mick Taylor V40 video side by side, Mick's V40 with the PRS DGT sounds a lot like Townshend's guitar on, that track.
    I don't agree at all. Comparing the sound with the Gretsch - which is the fair comparison, since that's what Townshend recorded WGFA with - the Victory is noticeably more muffled and 'stuffy' sounding, with less top-end.

The sound with the PRS is just horrible, really nasally and congested.
    Clearly something wrong with either your or my hearing then. Through my nearfield monitors I hear the PRS as sounding brighter with more high end that Townshend's recording. I hear nasally and congested in Townshend's tone, not in a bad way, in a typically tweed amp way.

I hear apples your hear oranges, that's the wonder and joy of guitars and gear though isn't it?

Either way it appears the V40 is well built but tuned to a tone you can either get on with or can't, either like or don't.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    RandallFlagg said:

If you listen to The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and the Mick Taylor V40 video side by side, Mick's V40 with the PRS DGT sounds a lot like Townshend's guitar on, that track.
    I don't agree at all. Comparing the sound with the Gretsch - which is the fair comparison, since that's what Townshend recorded WGFA with - the Victory is noticeably more muffled and 'stuffy' sounding, with less top-end.

The sound with the PRS is just horrible, really nasally and congested.
    Clearly something wrong with either your or my hearing then. Through my nearfield monitors I hear the PRS as sounding brighter with more high end that Townshend's recording. I hear nasally and congested in Townshend's tone, not in a bad way, in a typically tweed amp way.

I hear apples your hear oranges, that's the wonder and joy of guitars and gear though isn't it?

Either way it appears the V40 is well built but tuned to a tone you can either get on with or can't, either like or don't.
    Those who like an undynamic bass heavy thud will love them, no argument about that

• =)  They are certainly very bassy, so is the v22 mind. 
  • ICBM said:
    I agree that it's a dark sounding amp and found it hard work but listen to how good Mick Taylor has it sounding here, it's sounds great:
    Not to me it doesn't. It still has that horrible muffled top end. It sounds just about OK with the Strat, but awful with the Gretsch and the PRS.
    If you listen to The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and the Mick Taylor V40 video side by side, Mick's V40 with the PRS DGT sounds a lot like Townshend's guitar on that track.

Ummmm, it doesn't at all! The Victory sounds flat and lifeless in comparison. I've never heard one in person but that Mick Taylor video makes it sound really cheap. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1314
    edited November 2017
    Yes, another one here. Heard Micks Guitaist mag demo and thought it sounded okay. Spec ticked all the boxes for what I was looking for so bought one. Had it for less than 24 hours and returned it. 

I've posted on here about it before. It was a rather flat and lifeless amp (and actually rather noisy). Ended up trawling the net and coming across both MJW and this forum. Bought one of Martins amps in the end, which I still have and love.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom