112 cab speaker choice?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    There are some speaker shootouts on Youtube that will give some idea.  There were links on the old place.  I'm at work at the moment so I can't find the link as Youtube is blocked.

I've owned quite a few Celestions at various points. Here's my take:

Greenback is warm sounding, but farts out in the low end if you drive it hard - especially in an open backed cab.  Low end is bit tighter in a closed back cab.  It is a good sounding speaker.

V30 has a lot of high mids and sounds very cutting.  I think it is harsh, but some people like it.  It can be tamed a bit in a closed back cab which seems to beef up the low end a bit and make it sound a bit more rounded.

G12T-75 is quite scooped in the mids.  Due to the lack of mids it can sound toppy and harsh with the wrong amp, but it's not bad.

G12H-30 is a good speaker.  Solid low end and enough top end detail without sounding too harsh.

G12H-65 is a good allrounder.  Somewhere between the Greenback and the G12T-75/ V30.  Doesn't flub out like the Greenback but doesn't have the harshness the others can exhibit.

Vintage Century - probably similar to the V30 but without the harsh upper mids.  Good top end detail, not as much low end as something like a G12H.  Nice and light as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom