NBAD

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
edited February 2014 in Bass
Roland Cube Bass 120XL - great sounds, loud and light enough and couldn't resist the knock down price in Guitar Guitar.

Unfortunately, my Zoom B3 and powered PA speaker set up just wasn't cutting it (the Zoom's great but it was more the speaker that wasn't delivering). Sadly, the Zoom B3 went back to Guitar Guitar (part of the deal) in order for me to get the bass amp, but at some point, I'll get another as apart from being a great and handy bass unit, I was getting some superb funk sounds out of it when used on guitar (great compressors, filters, octavers and mods).

I now own 3 Roland Cubes - Micro Cube, Cube 60 and the Bass Cube 120XL. Any other Roland Bass Cube owners?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    I've got the 30w one, most excellent piece of kit.

• I Checked out the Kenji Hino demo of that amp, it has some wicked tones going on. I have seriously considered a Cube 60 as a solid state back up amp, it has most of the modelling, I don't know how good a Compressor or a  Wah sounds through one though, I've never stuck those pedals in front of a S.S amp?

I think the 60 is being discontinued too.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    @Bellycaster - the Cube amps are generally a good range and I have had a lot of mileage out of mine - my Micro Cube has served as a back-up amp (I've taken a line out to the PA and used the Blackface setting with my pedals). It's great if you're using an unfamiliar backline etc and you want "your sounds" (used all manner of Fenders with the MC feeding it) but it's had most use as my acoustic preamp and I like the delay and reverb on the unit.These really are a great and much, much cheaper alternative to the Yamaha THR range and you can pick them up for £40 used.

For years, the Cube 60 served as my main gigging amp for functions as I couldn't always be bothered to lug the weight of my 2x12 Mesa Express up stairs -  a lot of the venues/hotels we played used to make us bring gear in through the kitchens, up stairs etc..It's still my default amp and it takes pedals relatively well although depending on the pedal, you can lose some of the character, and this is more noticeable on ODs & compressors and they seem to impart less of their effect and character as they would with a valve amp. The JC setting is probably better for accepting pedals, and it's big brother, the JC120, is renowned for that, but I preferred the Blackface setting for my cleans. The Cube 60 can also run an extension speaker @8ohms and supposedly a 4x12 and their proprietary speaker and cabinet (ported) were tuned to be loud, efficient and work well together. Personally, I don't think the newer 80X sounds as good. Seriously J, considering they can be picked up used for between £90 and £130, they're literally a solid and reliable bargain!

As to the Bass Cube 120XL - that's been putting a smile on my face all week and I can't wait to get that into the rehearsal studio and yes, gurning, smiling Kenji shows you what it's capable of.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Kebabkid

It's almost nailed on that I will get one of these. I am very wary of buying second hand gear though, that's a surprise with me ain't it ;-)

I guess I always tend to ask "Why are they really selling this *insert item*?", it's just me, there are many genuine reasons people sell things, but I look at it as a Lottery. I don't mind spending a bit extra for new regarding guitar gear. There are a couple on fleabay now.

Glad your loving your new Bass Amp ;-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
    "I now own 3 Roland Cubes - Micro Cube, Cube 60 and the Bass Cube 120XL. Any other Roland Bass Cube owners?"

I`ve got 3 as well, guitar micro, guitar Cube 60 And Bass Cube 100, nice flexible little amps, more than enough for me :D
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    @TamDB - wow, more or less identical arsenal!

They're keepers!