Favourite vocal performance

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• fobfob Frets: 1431
    Nick Drake's voice has always drawn me in . Not exceptional, but utterly suited to his music and Black Eyed Dog, in particular, seems to give me the chills. Guitaring isn't too bad either.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 461
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 481
    edited July 2017
    Another Eddie fan here, love the lower end of his range. This is the perfect version of one of my favourite songs. The delicate part at 3:00 is stunning.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7304

Incredible vocal. 

And then have always loved this. Tom was well known for his bark, but this has a lot of light and shade. 

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7304
    TTBZ said:

I wish Frank Carter would go back to that style of vocals, Modern Ruin isn't nearly as good as Blossom imo. At his best when he's loud and angry. Brilliant front man as well.
    He is a great frontman isn't he? The first time I saw Gallows I was gobsmacked by the aggression Frank was putting out. He appeared to be one step from jumping into the crowd and fighting us all at once. Grey Britain is my favourite album of the past 15years.
    Sat and had a chat with Frank whilst I was having one of my tattoos done. Thoroughly nice chap he is too. Really polite and charming, not at all how you might expect. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10763
    2 minutes of heaven:

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    Natalie Merchant -- "Ophelia"
    There's something magical about this performance. 

• dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 150
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    Floor Jansen, my goodness what a set of pipes she has. Favourite bit around 9.20 but it's all great.

• RabsRabs Frets: 2626
    tFB Trader

Most have already been mentioned that I really love.  Aretha and Stevie Wonder are two of my favourites too..

Then theres Ray Charles

But one that has always stuck out as being incredible, not just cos of the voice but his age is this.. I think his voice may have actually been better when he was young.

edited July 2017 tFB Trader

And then theres this man..

I was lucky enough to have the pleasure of seeing him at the Royal Albert Hall...  And wow what a performance.. Even at his age. He got every note and even still pulled some of his famous dance moves... Just incredible to watch...  He did this song last and had to stop half way through and told us his doctor had said he had to stop...  He passed away only a short while after that...

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2444
    Thanks for all the posts chaps, even if you are posting more one. I've had quite a pleasurable afternoon listening to them. Keep 'em coming...
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader

Yes I don't think its possible to have one favourite.. Theres so many in different styles and genres..

Love this performance too

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4632
    Mariella Frostrup
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    Floor Jansen, my goodness what a set of pipes she has. Favourite bit around 9.20 but it's all great.

Floor is unreal. Probably my favourite female rock vocalist, the live at Wacken Nightwish performances sound better than the originals on many songs IMO, and I've been a long term fan and enjoyed aspects of each of their frontwomen... but Floor is just stand out for me. 

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Joni Mitchell for me, she has a way of expressing the meaning of lyrics, as well as just a beautiful sounding voice.

• vizviz Frets: 10763

Netrebko and Hvorostovsky - will they, won't they??
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Megii said:
    Joni Mitchell for me, she has a way of expressing the meaning of lyrics, as well as just a beautiful sounding voice.

Agreed - a musical genius if ever there was one.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    edited July 2017

Floor is unreal. Probably my favourite female rock vocalist, the live at Wacken Nightwish performances sound better than the originals on many songs IMO, and I've been a long term fan and enjoyed aspects of each of their frontwomen... but Floor is just stand out for me. 

She's great. It's just a shame that the recent studio album isn't that great. I still think the band's high water mark in term s of writing is the two albums Annette did even if she wasn't the strongest live singer. I do think Floor is the best vocalist they've had, sacrilege I know to those still carrying a torch for Tarja. I've liked Floor since After Forever and Revamp. She has phenomenal stage presence too - she's the complete package. 

The Wacken footage is great. I have no idea what they were thinking with the recent Wembley DVD release though. It's utter garbage - seemingly shot on gopros and out of focus cameras and edited by someone who has never seen a rock gig.

Floor is amazing though, but my favourite vocalist is Anneke Van Giersbergen.