Thinking of jacking it in

What's Hot

Comments

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    I tend to use one of them vox amp headphone thingies (just googled, amPlug). Stick it in the sockets, shove headphones on - decent electric noise without having to worry about space!

Regarding the bed situation, daft idea of the day but maybe one of those folding camping seats might help? Gives you a bit of back support - https://tinyurl.com/y8laaxqk

Then find a way of keeping the guitar in an easy to reach place, once the bugger is out of the case and within a moments grasp you'll pick it up more often.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    adamm82 said:
    Rant mode. I love playing the guitar. But where I live makes things impossible. Small place have to sit on the bed like a kid to play. I don't have anytime I play the same shit the time and never get any better. I'm lucky to get 30 mins spare a day to play then it's a big performance to drag all my shit out to play. .... Maybe it's better just to stare at my guitars and give up or sell them pay off my bills. 

All this dreaming of side hustles and the like just a waste of time. I don't even have time as it is so fitting something else in too is impossible.  
    Methinks the cause of this is not guitar playing. That's just a symptom of a greater malaise. If you want to keep playing then there's some good advice above. Seriously, 20 minutes a day is long enough to make progress. You can play an electric acoustically, or through headphones, without dragging out lots of equipment. Find a few things you want to learn, and focus on them. Your progress will either enthuse you to do more, or it won't, in which case you need to do something else to cheer you up.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2017
    Get a Kemper (or similar), plug it into the computer, and start recording multiple guitar parts. It worked for me, and I even got a bass just to add to the fun 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I gave up for 30 years before going back to it. I'm still utterly shite at it.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Have you considered giving up again? :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4878
    Just stop and see if you become more happy or less happy. Then you'll know if you should start again or if it's actually the guitar that's the issue you need to address. Good luck with it, anyway. 
    Have you considered giving up again? :)

Yes, as it's a good example of something that doesn't improve with age.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited July 2017
    Have you considered giving up again?

'Never give up on giving up' should probably be your motto.....
    Have you considered giving up again?

'Never give up on giving up' should probably be your motto.....

When you get to my age, you can't waste time procrastinating.

Unless laminate flooring is involved, because I've learnt from the best.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2017
    Dominic said:
    mellowsun said:
    Play through headphones with a stereo delay and reverb - it's very inspiring, much more so than playing through a thuddy old valve amp.

Can I come to one of your gigs ?
    Well, I'm on trend apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_disco

http://www.silentdiscokit.co.uk
    http://www.silentdiscodirect.co.uk

Silent disco weddings - could be the future for function bands!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10005
    Some of what you've said sounds familiar, very familiar. As somebody else has said, don't necessarily assume the guitar or the playing of the guitar is the problem, there is probably something else that this is a symptom of so you might be best concentrating your efforts on that more than debating the guitar - I know from experience how that is great distraction and seems like it's the source of all your frustration but be honest with yourself. What is causing your feelings is probably what is causing the lack of time, or your feeling of lack of hope, your frustration etc.

I'm going through something really big at the moment because I've had to confront what has been a massive issue for me for around a decade so you are not alone in this feeling. If you need to pm me to rant you are very welcome to, if you need a chat
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    It will be hard seeing the guitars everyday in reach but not having time to play em. Makes you feel like selling em and putting the cash to good use. 

Thing is a couple months down the line you'll have new bills to pay or something else that needs the cash anyway man. 

Guitar will always be there, and your situations can be changed. Think of the long game. 

What if in a years time you do have the time or a new job or place or whatever? Would you regret having sold all your gear? 

I'd feel shitty even hearing guitar driven music knowing I cant atleast get a fix of my own at some point in the week. 

But I do feel you man. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16289
    mellowsun said:
    Dominic said:
    mellowsun said:
    Play through headphones with a stereo delay and reverb - it's very inspiring, much more so than playing through a thuddy old valve amp.

Can I come to one of your gigs ?
    Well, I'm on trend apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_disco

http://www.silentdiscokit.co.uk
    http://www.silentdiscodirect.co.uk

Silent disco weddings - could be the future for function bands!
    You are indeed - one of my kids went to one of these...quite bizarre really 
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    Don't give up! Get a Zoom G3Xn or G5n and a pair of headphones. 30 seconds to set up, loads of great effects and amp sims, built in looper and drums. Have as much silent practice as you can fit in.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    adamm82 said:

thing is I think about guitar all day long. when I play Idon't think of anything else.
    just frustrated at the moment with a lot of things. 

Thats a very good reason for not jacking it in then
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2275
    adamm82 said:
    Rant mode. I love playing the guitar. But where I live makes things impossible. Small place have to sit on the bed like a kid to play. I don't have anytime I play the same shit the time and never get any better. I'm lucky to get 30 mins spare a day to play then it's a big performance to drag all my shit out to play. Can't use an amp properly as the place has paper thin walls. I'd move but I don't want to pay any more in rent. It used to relax me I want to get good but I don't have the time too practice. I only play well when I dedicate proper time everyday and I just don't have anymore time. Maybe it's better just to stare at my guitars and give up or sell them pay off my bills. 

All this dreaming of side hustles and the like just a waste of time. I don't even have time as it is so fitting something else in too is impossible.  

Having trouble with the quoty things...

If you like playing then find a way to play in your situation. Acoustic? Do you have a 335 type guitar you can play unplugged? I play an archtop at home or my LP unplugged if I cant be bothered to fire up an amp. Playing unplugged also helps you play instead of fiddling with delay settings all day. 

I started playing guitar 41 years ago and gave up 3 times. So firstly dont give up (done that) and secondly after a point you wont improve as fast as you did. 

I never practice as such. Last night I learnt Learning to Fly and Running Down a Dream for the jam. Well sort of the solo is daunting. However learning to play songs is better IMHO that trying to play scales for 30 mins. Also by running through a riff/solo I've never played before I'm learning without the sheer drudge of 'practice' or playing the same ploppy all the time. 

Last my advice is to seriously look at why you play guitar, what your goals are and how realistic they are. Although I'd like to be a shredder it aint going to happen, I can play a number of instruments to a certain standard and can sing a bit. I can do jams/open mic/family bbq stuff and it's enjoyable. I know two people who have a guitar lying around at home and can do the basic cowboy chords. They play songs sing a bit and are happy with it. Both know they wont be in bands. 

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8123
    It's not a competition, we're not judging each other over ability.  if you enjoy playing, then keep playing.
    I play for my own enjoyment.  I doubt I'll ever gig again, and I've forgotten so much, it's not funny........  but, it's still fun :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    adamm82 said:
    Rant mode. I love playing the guitar. But where I live makes things impossible. Small place have to sit on the bed like a kid to play. 

Get simpler home gear, something with an emulated headphone output. Keep it permanently set up on top of a cupboard or in a corner. (And probably get rid of your bigger amp, but not right now.)

adamm82 said:
    I don't have anytime I play the same shit the time and never get any better.  

This means you need to identify a bit you're having trouble with and practice it repeatedly, and properly, for 5-10 minutes everyday until it's acceptable. Always have two small bits you're working on.

Focused practice like this for 15-20 minutes per day WILL lead to an improvement (of whatever parts you organise yourself to work on). If you commit to it, that is.

• adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    thanks everyone i think yesterday was just one of those days, still feel a bit like that today but some people suggested on other threads to join a band or play with others. any ideas on where I can find this sort of thing?
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1127
    One of the best ways is old school, get out to a jam night and talk to people! They'll know others or people looking.