Where did all the Firebird Xs go?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    fandango said:
    eBay nowadays is full of Japanese sellers offering guitars at "optimistic" prices.  I think a lot of them are the same guys using different trading names.  Sometimes they use stock photos and don't even have the actual guitar, if you ask a question they use it as an opportunity to try to sell you something else...

But I digress.  What I'm saying is that probably isn't an indicator of market value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Philly_Q said:
    fandango said:
    eBay nowadays is full of Japanese sellers offering guitars at "optimistic" prices.  I think a lot of them are the same guys using different trading names.  Sometimes they use stock photos and don't even have the actual guitar, if you ask a question they use it as an opportunity to try to sell you something else...

But I digress.  What I'm saying is that probably isn't an indicator of market value.
    Agree with you there, but if you wanted one of whatever it is they're advertising (such as the Firebird X), how DO you get past the opportunists?

Oh and speaking of Japanese opportunists, I came across a rather cool Yamaha SGV on Fleebay when I was looking earlier this year. It was advertised by two separate sellers, but the giveaway was the carpet in the background. I pinged a question at each of the sellers and never got an answer. Interesting that one had priced about £30 cheaper than the other.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2047
    I found this weird one. Guitarist in very traditional sounding blues band talks about how he loves his Firebird X while using none of the "features". I guess they did him a deal. Willing to bet it didn't have many outings after they made that video.

So it's not just Robert Johnson that sold his soul to the Devil in Mississippi...

That video is a total crock.  Unknown bluesman who can barely play suddenly decides the most "techy" guitar on the planet is for him?  And we are/were supposed to believe that?

At least if they marketed it towards session players or more technical guitarists it might have made sense.  But to try and suggest it would be the go-to guitar for bearded bluesers in dungarees?  Totally clueless.

Encapsulates all that is wrong with Gibson over the past few years.  I'm surprised they sell much of anything given they haven't got a clue about their own brand.