NAD X2. Mesa & Orange

timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
Picked up these two little powerhouses today!

I picked up the Orange in a trade deal, still not sure if its a keeper yet! I'd forgotten how much fun these are to play though! i spent about an hour, just straight in, riffing like a MF. Terrific fun.

The Mesa was something i'd had my eye on for a while, and the right model cropped up, local to me and at a very good price!
These early Studio 22's are phenomenally loud, they also sound great clean or distorted, plus its very compact and lightweight.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cracking amps those Mesa Studios, I love mine, it's such a practical little amp.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Spent all day ripping out the riffs on it, difficult to balance but when you do its a very rewarding amp!

@ICBM is it usual to have so much "browning" on the PCB? Its a 1985 model and its definitely been used! Is there anything i can do to clean this up and prevent it getting any worse?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    timmysoft said:

@ICBM is it usual to have so much "browning" on the PCB? Its a 1985 model and its definitely been used! Is there anything i can do to clean this up and prevent it getting any worse?
    It's normal for these over time - yours is nowhere near the worst I've seen! Not really anything you can do to clean it - other than just brushing any loose residue away - it's heat damage and will go right through the thickness of the board.

If you're worried about it, it may be worth fitting a miniature cooling fan - bolt it to the inside of the back grille so it blows directly over hat area of the board.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    Nice looking pair of amps you have there! Stereo rig?

What made you get rid of the mini jubilee, or are you still using that as well?
    TTBZ said:
    Nice looking pair of amps you have there! Stereo rig?

What made you get rid of the mini jubilee, or are you still using that as well?
    The Jube went purely because if my new band, being the only guitarist I found the Marshall needed a little more headroom and the Mesa sound will suit the band better. The jubilee is a belting amp! 

Im not running stereo yet, I'm not keen on the extra hassle, the orange will probably just be a spare! 
    Revalved today and now sounds absolutely massive! 

@ICBM any info on the speaker? Labelled as a black shadow 50? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    timmysoft said:

It's a custom-spec Eminence.

Personally, I detest them - all midrange and no subtlety - but I know some people do like them. I think the amp sounds much better with a Mesa/Celestion Black Shadow 90.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    timmysoft said:

It's a custom-spec Eminence.

Personally, I detest them - all midrange and no subtlety - but I know some people do like them. I think the amp sounds much better with a Mesa/Celestion Black Shadow 90.
    Probably a candidate for a creamback upgrade then!!