Amp gets brighter when effects loop is engaged

ricorico Frets: 1220
I put the delay and reverb pedals in the loop of the 2204 today and when the reverb is engaged there's no difference to the tone but when the carbon copy (the standard one) is engaged the amp gets a lot brighter. 

Is is this a buffering issue? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    Much more likely to be a signal voltage issue. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    edited August 2017
    I had this exact issue with the effects loop on a Victory V40 using a Flashback and then a Carbon Copy. Martin Kidd at Victory advsied me that it was due to the design of some pedals rather than an issue wth the loop and sugested trying a different delay (I can't remember which one he recommended now).

Funny thing is the delay through the front of the amp didn't make the tone brighter when engaged I only noticed it through the loop.

I put a TC Bonafide buffer in front of the Flashback and a HOF through the loop and the issue kind of went away, the tone was a little brighter with the pedals in the loop regardless of whether they were switched on or not, so at least it was constant and no tone change when switching the pedals on or off, but the tone with the effects in the loop was definitely different to the tone with no effects at all.

• vizviz Frets: 10773
    I assum when you plug the send directly to the return with a single cable the issue doesn't occur?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    What reverb is it, and do you have the Carbon Copy before it or after it?

What loop is in the 2204 - Marshall, Tube Town or some other?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Have you tried switching the Flashback dip switch to buffer mode rather than true bypass?

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I don't have use the Flashback @Grumpyrocker ;

@ICBM the reverb is a HOF mini and the CC is before it. It's the Ceriatone 2204 HW.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Try setting the HOF to buffer (if the mini has that option). If that doesn't work, try putting the HOF first and see if it's any better.

I suspect it is a poor buffering issue of some sort, probably the amp. You might need to buffer the loop externally, if you don't want to replace the pedals with buffered ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Ceriatone 2204 is a passive loop as standard.
  • rico said:

@ICBM the reverb is a HOF mini and the CC is before it. It's the Ceriatone 2204 HW.

Ah sorry, misread the wrong post. Does your HOF Mini have the option to go buffered bypass? My full size version does.

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    hywelg said:
    Ceriatone 2204 is a passive loop as standard.
    Thanks - so I need an external buffer? 

rico said:

Ah sorry, misread the wrong post. Does your HOF Mini have the option to go buffered bypass? My full size version does.
    No, unfortunately does not! I have been considering upgrading to the full fat HOF for a while though...