Would you buy relic or non relic

What's Hot

Comments

• I hate the plasticy look of new guitars and I do like the look of *nicely* worn vintage guitars (a lot of wear, whilst realistic, doesn't actually look pleasing to the eye) so in principal I like the idea of relics... 

However in practice, I think creating a convincing aged finish is *extremely* difficult, I actually like about 1% of relics that I see (almost none of which have been Fender CS, whom you might think would be the bosses of relicing!)

So as a result I don't like the look of most relics that I see. However....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    These threads get tedious. They pop up constantly and it's the same stuff over and over again.

To the OP - the "relic" thing has been declining for years and that's fine by me. I'm approximately 6 months away from quitting my 9-5 to build nitro finished guitars full time. I get asked to do VOS, NOS, closet finds, heavy relic (which is more about artistic licence than realism btw) etc etc. The fact that nitro finished guitars can end up costing over a grand it's no wonder I'm up to my eyes right now.

Im not a huge fan of heavily laden plastic coated guitars tbh. As I've mentioned elsewhere here a few weeks ago I played some new fender pro series... not impressed. It's confirmed that all of my guitars will be nitro finished from now on. 

It goes to show you though, we play with our eyes. If it looks "bad" to you then you're less likely to enjoy it. Hard to beat a bumped and bruised neck though! 

Play what you want, be happy with it and stop being so consumed with starting a shit storm as to whether relic or non relic guitars are "right or wrong". If you want to age it yourself, go for it. If you want it dinged up a little before hand, go for it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I'm outraged that Satan should visit such abominations upon mankind.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I've played a few Fender relics that were really great guitars, but I just can't get on board with the concept. It's all a bit make-believe for me, and I can't help being reminded of grown men playing five a sides wearing replica football tops with their favourite player's name across the back. 

Heavy relics almost always look ridiculous too, and nothing like a vintage guitar. Isn't it interesting too that with actual vintage guitars the most desirable instruments by far are always the ones that DON'T have any dings and dents?
    I'd have thought your football shirt analogy was more akin to signature models.

And the "mint" vintage instruments are really only preferred by collectors. You have to ask the question as to why a vintage instrument was mint - is it because they aren't very good and weren't played much? A battered and beaten vintage probably got that way because it was well loved and is a real corker to play...
    A football shirt analogy? Great. Add that to all the other ones too... ripped jeans, dented cars etc...

I totally agree with you about the signature aspect though and more so about the beaten up guitar playing better.

I lose a lot of respect and faith in the human race when people can't just say "sorry, it's not for me". You're comparing a guitar that has a faux aged PAINT finish to a dented car? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    edited August 2017
    lonestar said:
    I've played a few Fender relics that were really great guitars, but I just can't get on board with the concept. It's all a bit make-believe for me, and I can't help being reminded of grown men playing five a sides wearing replica football tops with their favourite player's name across the back. 

Heavy relics almost always look ridiculous too, and nothing like a vintage guitar. Isn't it interesting too that with actual vintage guitars the most desirable instruments by far are always the ones that DON'T have any dings and dents?

And the "mint" vintage instruments are really only preferred by collectors. You have to ask the question as to why a vintage instrument was mint - is it because they aren't very good and weren't played much? A battered and beaten vintage probably got that way because it was well loved and is a real corker to play...
    A football shirt analogy? Great. Add that to all the other ones too... ripped jeans, dented cars etc...

I totally agree with you about the signature aspect though and more so about the beaten up guitar playing better.

I lose a lot of respect and faith in the human race when people can't just say "sorry, it's not for me". You're comparing a guitar that has a faux aged PAINT finish to a dented car? 

I think people whose opinion is, "it's not for me" are simply attempting to quantify why this is. 

BTW, losing a lot of respect and faith in the human race, for a view on relic guitars?  

A bit excessive perhaps?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    Lets all hold hands, build a fire and sing some songs.

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4691
    on a Reliced Martin Acoustic :-p
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Don't get the finish too close to the fire or it'll blister :)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I dislike relics and own two. :-)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Gagaryn said:
    I dislike relics and own two. :-)
    If only there were more people like you, the world would be a better place!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

tFB Trader
    Neil said:
    lonestar said:

I think people whose opinion is, "it's not for me" are simply attempting to quantify why this is. 

BTW, losing a lot of respect and faith in the human race, for a view on relic guitars?  

A bit excessive perhaps?
    No not at all. People are comparing a paint effect on a guitar to dent in a car? Come on now, that's quite silly.

We don't need a ridiculous analogy to quantify anything, really. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    I wonder how many of the relic haters have other objet d'art around the house with an aged finish.

I am talking anything with non-chrome metal finish like brass, pewter, copper.   Any wood that's stained an "antique" colour or left a bit rough.

Its almost impossible to avoid the aged aesthetic.

nobody gives B&Q grief for selling door knobs like this

Fakest ageing I have ever seen - i don't know why anyone would buy them ;)

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    WezV said:
    I wonder how many of the relic haters have other objet d'art around the house with an aged finish.

I am talking anything with non-chrome metal finish like brass, pewter, copper.   Any wood that's stained an "antique" colour or left a bit rough.

Its almost impossible to avoid the aged aesthetic.

Depends - do these cost more than a new-looking one?

By the way in my case I'm not a relic hater - I just don't want to pay more for a new item with a manufactured second hand finish. Can they put the thin nitro finish (or whatever it is they use) on and then leave it alone?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    Ravenous said:

By the way in my case I'm not a relic hater - I just don't want to pay more for a new item with a manufactured second hand finish. Can they put the thin nitro finish (or whatever it is they use) on and then leave it alone?

yes, many offer that as a finish option.  
    I'll replace the knobs on my relic Les Paul with some of these. Should look the business.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    WezV said:

I am often tempted to complain to all Jean manufacturers about their policy of relicing their trousers before I buy them. It's got to the stage where unreliced Jeans are a "thing".
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73030
    Gagaryn said:

I am often tempted to complain to all Jean manufacturers about their policy of relicing their trousers before I buy them. It's got to the stage where unreliced Jeans are a "thing".
    What do you define as 'relic' jeans though? A lot of people say stonewashed. To me, stonewashed are the equivalent of a 'closet classic' rather than a 'relic' - ie aged rather than damaged - it's ripped ones that are 'relics'. I apply the same logic… I'm OK with stonewash but I'll never understand buying ripped jeans. Mine usually get naturally ripped in the end, and then they go to the charity shop where I hope the staff are savvy enough to sell them for more!

And yes, I still buy completely new-look jeans (501s, only) when I can find them. Stonewashed will have to do if not...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    ICBM said:

And yes, I still buy completely new-look jeans (501s, only) when I can find them. Stonewashed will have to do if not...
    What is all the fuss about 501s.  I hate button flys.  505s any day if I can find them.
    Brand new unmolested 501s with a razor sharp crease down them for me.
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 262
    I went with a light relic on my new Revelator. Wanted it to feel worn in, but it’s not overdone. 

https://pictr.com/image/mvYYf