The Greatest Bassist of All Time

What's Hot

Comments

• Jimbro66 said:

I'm not sure what makes any player "the greatest". With many fine players listed here it seems to come down to personal favourites and musical preferences.

Interestingly no mention of Carol Kaye who's played on more well-known recordings than probably all of the others put together so she must be doing something extremely well.

I think that's true. Many of the greats remain transparent but are integral to the song.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007

Paul McCartney

Bruce Foxton

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    James Jamerson, Paul McCartney & Ron Carter.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6237
    Jaco
    Percy Jones
    Entwhistle
    Gary Thain
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    edited August 2017
    Whenever I think of bass, I hear the solo from that Free song in my head. I can't remember which one, but it's off Fire And Water, and in fact may even BE Fire And Water.

I like it, so I vote for that bloke. Andy Fraser.

It's probably Mr Big- there's a lengthy bass solo in that. Mind you, all bass solos seem lengthy to me.

Still, the right answer has to be Macca. Most of the other players mentioned in this thread wouldn't have sounded the way they did if not for him, and he had the good sense never to play a bass solo.

Also, can we all agree that 2/3 of the players in that poll have no fucking business being there. The guy from Royal Blood? Fuck right off.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2641
    For pop/rock etc I'd say McCartney just about edges out Jamerson, then Bernard Edwards. For me the questions are, how great was the music and how important was the bass part in making it great. Carol Kayes part in Witchita Lineman matters in a way that most examples of technical bravura don't.

I'm never too happy with token jazz guys being put on these lists. The criteria is different. In my view the two most innovative and important players in the music are not on the list: Jimmy Blanton and Scott LaFaro. These were the guys who completely redefined jazz bass. But more people have heard of Mingus, because he was a great composer and bandleader.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • JDE said:
    Yep, another one here for Ron Carter...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Jaco has to be up there, along with Stanley Clarke and Tony Levin. My favourite is Andy Fraser though, those lovely loping bass lines made so many of Free's songs. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14751
    edited August 2017
    Sassafrassin' popularity parade.

Strangely, reduced to being filed other "Other":
    • Rick Danko
    • Keith Richards (he's one mean bassist)
    • David Gilmour (fretless a speciality)
    • Anyone who ever played bass guitar for Frank Zappa

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Sassafrassin' popularity parade.

Strangely, reduced to being filed other "Other":
    • Rick Danko
    • Keith Richards (he's one mean bassist)
    • David Gilmour (fretless a speciality)
    • Anyone who ever played bass guitar for Frank Zappa

Carol Kaye
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24845
    Bottesini
    I regard him in the same way as Jaco.

Did it first on his instrument, Made people realise what was possible, but ultimately his own stuff was clearly only the beginning of the journey with a hint of the future and not the fully developed idea.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    Whenever I think of bass, I hear the solo from that Free song in my head. I can't remember which one, but it's off Fire And Water, and in fact may even BE Fire And Water.

I like it, so I vote for that bloke. Andy Fraser.
    many great players and most mentioned above - I do love the fade out solo on Free Mr Big and remember they were still teenagers when recording/playing these tracks - listen from around 2.55 onwards but bass really kicks in around 3.30/3.40 - How to lay down a groove

tFB Trader
    I'm not sure I have a favourite - I like Bernard Edwards - I like the fade out end section of Stevie Wonder I wish (don't know the bass player is) - Tal (the young Oz with Jeff Beck) - Surprised no mention yet for Phil Lynott - Love the Motown bass lines - Love Lee Rocker with Stray Cats - To be honest if they are putting down a great groove I'm happy
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Not exactly flashy, but one for fans of the extended hypnotic groove...Holger Czukay.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    tFB Trader
    Just heard Aretha on the radio and made me think Blues Brothers - And totally surprised no one has yet said Donald Duck Dunn - awesome bass player
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited August 2017
    Isn't greatest bassist an oxymoron?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    I don't look at musicians that way. If they do the job 'right', they are good players. Gerry McEvoy, Sting, Phil Lynott etc may not be considered in the same light as Jaco etc. They got the job done. Which is what any musician should strive to do.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6171
    Surprised no mentions for Alan Spenner - fluid, melodic and funky - the complete package. Mccartney of course, 'cos he  pretty much defined rock bass. Jamerson, Andy Fraser and Rick Danko.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Just heard Aretha on the radio and made me think Blues Brothers - And totally surprised no one has yet said Donald Duck Dunn - awesome bass player

Yes I think Dunn influenced just about everyone who followed.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited August 2017
    Stanley Clarke
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>