Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

EBay - Buyer Beware!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• I would imagine that they (or their algorithms) probably watch anyone whos had a warning like a hawk, so I'd be careful about what you put in any messages (which I was, but it didnt seem to matter anyway haha)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Same thing just happened to me 7 day ban with all sorts of restrictions and warning if i list something and it sells even outside of ebay they could charge fees wtf!!! Just because someone messaged me and it was sold through gumtree
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @BloodEagle Yeah I think you're right...............it makes no sense when the "offending" email/message is incoming though, and really outwith your control....................in that situation I'd guess the best thing to do is ignore the message and don't reply to it at all.

@pablocrackers now you're on there radar!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922

The last thing I sold on eBay was in 2008.

I still buy things, often bits and pieces for guitar repairs that I can't find elsewhere and quite a lot ;) of s/h science fiction books. I'll buy expensive stuff from businesses if it's a better price than I can get elsewhere, but that's it.

I wouldn't dream of selling anything on there.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6178
    Same thing just happened to me 7 day ban with all sorts of restrictions and warning if i list something and it sells even outside of ebay they could charge fees wtf!!! Just because someone messaged me and it was sold through gumtree
    Blimey. The only sensible response to that is 'go f*ck yourself'. They must be getting seriously worried about the fall-off if they going after people this aggressively.
  • eBay make too much money from the box shifters and sellers from china to care.

I'm happy to buy via eBay as it's fully protected, along with the pay after delivery with PayPal it's a no brainer for buyers.

Would never sell anything I wouldn't  be prepared to lose to a scammer though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1220
    Presumably this is also an issue with any high value large objects, such as cars, motorbikes, lathes and dungeon equipment? 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1400
    steer said:
    Presumably this is also an issue with any high value large objects, such as cars, motorbikes, lathes and dungeon equipment? 
    But if you scam someone selling you dungeon equipment, they have the leverage over you. They could reveal your secret dungeon and spoil the surprise for your future guests.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    Well, I've just sold something on ebay and the buyer txtd me their phone number (which was incorrect) and I replied with mine; he's due to collect it tomorrow.
  • Prepare for your impending 7 day suspension 
  • I have now started putting my mobile in the listing. They haven't removed it
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    The whole system is automated re bans and warnings.

They are cutting down on inter person rather than person to business transactions so they can reduce their staffing and resource overhead. 

Managing non-business transactions has been taking up a disproportionate amount of time and resource including server loads and data storage. An unhealthy amount for a business of eBay's profile, gearing and profit plans.

Returns are fully automated now, even the business sellers are steered towards refunds rather than replacement on returns. 

For casual non business sales, Gumtree is their platform of growth. They need to drive the numbers here as the advertising revenue is of greater potential than the transaction profits and management of eBay private sales.

Facebook has a large percentage of the private market now, surprisingly along with car boot sales which are seeing a resurgence. Other emerging seller platforms are also showing growth. 

Each market is different, for example in a number of EU block countries where disposable income is less and possessions are valued more, people don't tend to sell on s/h goods, rather trade them or use them until disposed of. The Chinese sellers are well placed for these markets.

• Interesting - that explains a lot