Considering FX pedals again... Now Un-Helixed... Hexit?!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7700
    Eventide TimeFactor - every delay engine can run dual delays.

It was interesting to read this thread - I completely get why you're going this route, but I noticed myself have the reaction of "god, no way I'd be up for going back to patch cable and power supply shenanigans" - horses for courses and all that. 

Cool that you'll be able to sell it at no loss!
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33940
    Just hold onto the Helix and buy some pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27682
    Kebabkid said:
    So I have a Helix. It is extremely clever and capable (frankly much more than I am, most days) but I'm finding myself missing "real" pedals rather more than expected. ( @Kebabkid predicted this happening...) 
    Sorry Mike. Just from our limited meet ups and observing thins on here for the past few years, you've always struck me as a pedal guy. Even down to BYOCs but on you for giving g it a go.
    All the best
    Hey, no worries Cos! I've enjoyed the process, and had half a feeling it might go this way but wanted to get it out of my system and be sure. It's a close thing, but you're right - I do really enjoy the mechanical element of a real pedal board. I'm sure I'd be less keen if I was gigging snd wanted loads of sounds and easy setup, but I'm not :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

TimmyO said:
    Eventide TimeFactor - every delay engine can run dual delays.

It was interesting to read this thread - I completely get why you're going this route, but I noticed myself have the reaction of "god, no way I'd be up for going back to patch cable and power supply shenanigans" - horses for courses and all that. 

Cool that you'll be able to sell it at no loss!

I've always quite enjoyed the logistics planning end of it, so that doesn't put me off.

As for the Timefactor, I know it's brilliant as I've had three, but to use it easily you need an extra foot switch with at less than 2 buttons which becomes a bit of a pain. The Empress has me excited and sounds better than the Timefactor so I'll definitely go that way for now. You have my permission to laugh at me if I sell and replace with a TF! :D 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353

I've recently bought a Helix and this will be the last piece of fairly expensive gear I buy for a while, because there is so much to try out with it.

However, I am selling zero pedal! I enjoy collecting them and using them for their advantages and quirks.

The SA Nemesis is a FINE delay.

It begins...

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    It's because OK Computer is covered in Small Stone and I've never had one and no-one makes anything like it - even the multi-modulaition type pedals don't model it. It's actually quite strange.
    There's one on the Zoom CDR-70 for what it's worth, following the recent update... no idea how it compares.
  • It begins...

-I can't for the life of me work out how you'll ever reach the switch on that small stone. Are you going to raise the back tier? 
    It begins...

-I can't for the life of me work out how you'll ever reach the switch on that small stone. Are you going to raise the back tier? 
    This is *far* from a final layout! :D I'm just trying to work out options for flexibility at the moment, and I was quite bored today at work! Pedaltrains are angled, so I know it's not too bad, but I'm using the Gold Class as a "blackface flavour" box, so it wouldn't need regular switching. Might be worth swapping that with the SS.

I'm wondering if a full-fat Whammy V is still the optimum octave effect for what want, even if it's huge. The Ricochet looks fun but doesn't have dry+octave down, and the POGs don't do Whammy noises, obviously.

I also wonder if a Deco might be unnecessary if I get the Empress. I guess I'll ge the delay first then see how good its tape modes are.
  • There's nothing wrong with wanting Helix to replace existing gear, nor is there anything wrong with dumping it if it doesn't meet that particular use case, but know that we didn't design Helix to replace any gear—we designed it to act as the centerpiece of a bigger rig. Keep your amps, run them in 4CM, keep your favorite pedals, connect 'em to Helix's four effects loops, control the whole thing via MIDI, Amp Remote outs, and CV...

Better reverbs are coming.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    There's nothing wrong with wanting Helix to replace existing gear, nor is there anything wrong with dumping it if it doesn't meet that particular use case, but know that we didn't design Helix to replace any gear—we designed it to act as the centerpiece of a bigger rig. Keep your amps, run them in 4CM, keep your favorite pedals, connect 'em to Helix's four effects loops, control the whole thing via MIDI, Amp Remote outs, and CV...
    That's kind of my problem. I love the endless possibilities and the 'big rig' ideas... but because I don't drive and have the body of a small child with malnutrition, I can't carry all of my gear to and from the practice room on the train. So I've just decided to stick with Helix standalone, without adding any Big Sky's or Timeline's or anything like that.

This is moistness to my earrrrssssssss.

There's nothing wrong with wanting Helix to replace existing gear, nor is there anything wrong with dumping it if it doesn't meet that particular use case, but know that we didn't design Helix to replace any gear—we designed it to act as the centerpiece of a bigger rig. Keep your amps, run them in 4CM, keep your favorite pedals, connect 'em to Helix's four effects loops, control the whole thing via MIDI, Amp Remote outs, and CV...

I think this is an excellent position to take, and one I don't disagree with at all. For me, I use it almost exclusively in front of my amp, but spend half my time trying to make it sound like other pedals rather than making the most of what it can do, which for me feels like a waste. 

But if I was gigging again in any of my old bands I'd be extremely happy with it as a one-stop solution to so many problems. 
  • There's nothing wrong with wanting Helix to replace existing gear, nor is there anything wrong with dumping it if it doesn't meet that particular use case, but know that we didn't design Helix to replace any gear—we designed it to act as the centerpiece of a bigger rig. Keep your amps, run them in 4CM, keep your favorite pedals, connect 'em to Helix's four effects loops, control the whole thing via MIDI, Amp Remote outs, and CV...

Well now you're beginning to give me reasons to try a multiFX alongside my pedals again. Aargh!

I will resist this time.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3423
    siraxeman said:ju
    Try the awesome  "no man ever went to the moon" reverb pedal and the unbelievable Flat Earth pitch shifter. Well worth flogging the helix to find. And even though you like some of the drives you kept you gotta go try the Edge of Earth od/dist pedal. They're not cheap but they're "the truth" range of amazeballs pedals. Check 'em! ;-)
    Wait....is the earth flat then?
    Helix is gone. I'm going shopping :D 

I got given a Deco and a Whammy for my birthday, so I'm in gooooood shape :)