How many here understand music theory?

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited August 2017
    btw - when I teach my students, I don't spend huge amounts of time on theory..
    I concentrate on the playing side of things because I think it's more important..
    I will however drip feed little bits of theory as we go little by little..
    both classical harmony and contemporary [and explain the differences where they diverge]
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Clarky said:
    I concentrate on the playing side of things because I think it's more important..
    both classical harmony and contemporary [and explain the differences where they diverge]
    Same here. I'm very much a plug in and play type person when it comes to lessons. Get your hands on the thing and play!

Although if some learners are doing grades some theory will be involved more so than if they're just learning to play for fun.

Helps communicate better though as opposed to saying "this shape here..." or "dun dun dah dun" for a rhythm.
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Yes, I studied it formally. Is it useful? Broadly speaking yes, and no. For understanding something, or knowing that you can go from one thing to another via a little trick you've nicked from a Bernstein tune. 

My main issue with theory in general is that it can become a dick waving exercise very quickly.

People arguing over how something is enharmonically spelt. That's when I switch off and protest to knowing anything about it.  If you know what someone is talking about why argue over double sharps etc? 

It's useful, but so is learning sign language, sewing, and a plethora of other skills. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24649
    Danji said:
    People arguing over how something is enharmonically spelt. 
    Spelled.

;) 
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Clarky said:
    Same here. I'm very much a plug in and play type person when it comes to lessons. Get your hands on the thing and play!

Although if some learners are doing grades some theory will be involved more so than if they're just learning to play for fun.

Helps communicate better though as opposed to saying "this shape here..." or "dun dun dah dun" for a rhythm.
    one of my students is a guitar teacher prepping for his grade 8 guitar [rock guitar stuff]
    he's the only guy I go into theory with in a deep way..
    partly because he's a teacher and I'm taking him way beyond what he needs to teach so he has a better background
    and partly because the later parts of the grade 8 demand it [even tho it's based on jazzer theory]

Danji said:
    My main issue with theory in general is that it can become a dick waving exercise very quickly.

People arguing over how something is enharmonically spelt. That's when I switch off and protest to knowing anything about it.  If you know what someone is talking about why argue over double sharps etc? 

It's useful, but so is learning sign language, sewing, and a plethora of other skills. 
    yes it can become a pissing contest.. needlessly so..

enharmonic spelling matters most when you're taking exams and you have a question around it.. pivot chords for example..
    or when trying to explain / understand why a certain 'thing' works the way it does..
    often because it has an attachment to key..

or in other stranger situations, can provide a 'short cut' to getting somewhere easily..
    like a German 6th for example.. it is never a dominant 7 chord by function or location [with respect to key because it is not rooted on the dominant].. but in isolation [without context] it'll look and sound like one..
    and so you can use this enharmonic re-spelling [re-visualization] of it, to be able to locate it quickly / easily when noodling on a guitar / piano.. so it has it's uses..
  • I know it but I'm no probs muso - difference between knowing it and applying it in fury