Shaving - have some people forgotten how to do it?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    57Deluxe said:
    when I was a kid growing up, any time I saw a old guy like this in street he was usually a wino or tramp... That's what I think of unshaveness still!
    The irony is that the unshaveness is the least of the things that make him look scruffy - the eyebrows, clothes and maybe the hair over his ears are what do that. His beard is quite neat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    CabbageCat said:z
    Rocker, dude, it's not the world's fault you are struggling to keep up with it. Leave it be.

Someone needs to shout STOP. Read the book written by John Heavy "Nobody shouted stop"
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6268
    Rocker said:
    Match of the Day Two.  Last night.  The Liverpool manager, the Chelsea manager, the MOTD2 presenter and a panelist all sported several days stubble.  Like as if they did not shave since the Premier League Season started.  What are they playing at?  If they wanted to grow a beard, they had all the close season to grow it.  Not acceptable to expect us to watch their weak efforts at growing beards.  If they lived in Ireland they would be advised to use some 10-10-20 [artificial fertilizer for grass] to progress it a bit.  Makes the farce of Mayweather & McGregor appear quite 'normal'.

It is civilization Jim, but not as we knew it :astonished: 
    I love you Rocker.

You'd have a problem with my facial "hair" - it is trimmed daily to be somewhere between a short beard and long stubble, about a couple of millimetres, setting 1.5 on the trimmer.

I like it, my wife likes it. That'll do.

What's worse than all this though is the lone moustache, unaccompanied by beard. That's an unforgiveable facial hair crime. Quite preposterous.

Its only surpassed in ridiculousness by the chin handle beard - a beard without a tache, beard covering the whole face, but tache shaved off. Really daft. Apparently it is popular in muslim communities as the tache is seen as a vanity thing, and removing it signifies humility.

IMO, it signifies lots of cluelessness about standards of facial topiary.
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I ditched the shaving 10 years ago, beardz is cool.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    impmann said:
    Ties are fucking horrible things. Vile vile vile vile. Why on earth is there a perception that having a rag tied around your throat is in any way "smart"?

So what is smart? And why?
    Who fucking cares?

impmann said:
     Why not just allow people to look the way they want to look? Its actually nobody's business *at all* what another person looks like.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    The day I buy a razor is the day  I pop into boots for tampons for the sudden development of a vagina. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23575
    ICBM said:
    57Deluxe said:
    when I was a kid growing up, any time I saw a old guy like this in street he was usually a wino or tramp... That's what I think of unshaveness still!
    The irony is that the unshaveness is the least of the things that make him look scruffy - the eyebrows, clothes and maybe the hair over his ears are what do that. His beard is quite neat.
    My first thought was blimey, Phil Tufnell's let himself go.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    impmann said:
    impmann said:
    Ties are fucking horrible things. Vile vile vile vile. Why on earth is there a perception that having a rag tied around your throat is in any way "smart"?

Who fucking cares?

"Vile vile vile vile" is not usually the call of a person who doesn't care.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Rocker said:
    Rocker, dude, it's not the world's fault you are struggling to keep up with it. Leave it be.

Someone needs to shout STOP. Read the book written by John Heavy "Nobody shouted stop"

No they don't. The world changes - that is a good thing. If old people can't cope with young people wearing tight trousers or having scruffy sideburns that is 100% the old people's problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    impmann said:
    impmann said:

Who fucking cares?

"Vile vile vile vile" is not usually the call of a person who doesn't care.
    OK, if you want to be a pedant...

Who fucking cares about what the perception of smart is?

I think they are "vile vile vile vile". And yes, I care about not wearing one and have actively avoided doing so for the past 25 years and will continue to do so.

Clear? :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Being so worked up about something so trivial as unshavenness or tie-lessness suggests you are really very very angry about something else and this is just your anger leaking out through emotions marked "shaving" and "tie-wearing".  So what is your real anger about, eh?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Chalky said:
    Being so worked up about something so trivial as unshavenness or tie-lessness suggests you are really very very angry about something else and this is just your anger leaking out through emotions marked "shaving" and "tie-wearing".  So what is your real anger about, eh?
    Unironed shirts?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    randella said:
    Chalky said:
    Unironed shirts?
    Open necked shirts that are just a little too open?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Chalky said:
    randella said:
    Chalky said:
    Unironed shirts?
    Open necked shirts that are just a little too open?
    Shirts with cutaway collars that are just that bit too much cut away?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I stopped shaving in early 2010. Didn't intend to grow a beard, was just ill and shaving didn't seem important. Turned out I look better with a beard, it hides half my face!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
    edited August 2017
    Of all the modern trends I dislike and there are many.I have shamelessly embraced the unshaven look out of shear laziness.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 698
    frank1985 said:
    BGG said:
    frank1985 said:
    I use double edged razors to save money. One pack of 100 Derby Extras costs me 7 quid and they last years....unless you make a habit of shaving your pubes / body hair as well
    I did that for a few years before I got a straight razor, never looked back.
    I was considering straight razors actually...is it not a pain in the arse though maintaining the blade, keeping it sharp etc.?
    Nope ! I just clean it thoroughly after each save and give it a good strop before I use it, not needed honing yet.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Rocker said:

No they don't. The world changes - that is a good thing. If old people can't cope with young people wearing tight trousers or having scruffy sideburns that is 100% the old people's problem.

The people listed in the first post here are not exactly young by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe they are trying to appear young by acting young......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    A lot of the people in this thread aren't that young 
    My V key is broken