Email software

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    @TTony simple requirements, on PC only. No other devices. No calendar. A Spam blocker would be a big benefit. Lots of replies suggest Thunderbird. I will check this out when the computer is returned.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    Thunderbird. You are in control.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    Thunderbird. 

And you don't have to create an Outlook account to use Window 10. Create a local account instead. 

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-set-up-windows-10-without-microsoft-account-3630929/

• notanonnotanon Frets: 620
    I agree the built in Windows 10 email client is terrible. Or at least it was last year when I looked. Could not turn off auto loading images. Bloated at something like 150MB which is huge given very very few features. Thunderbird by comparison was something like 60MB art that time. Thunderbird is windows email client people opt for unless you have office installed.

On Windows I use Thunderbird because it is easier to setup encryption.

Any email address is fine for windows 10 setup dismount have to be one of Microsoft's mail accounts. I would advise using the email address rather than a local account on the pc. I seem to remember hassles when downloading software from Microsoft's store . . . Can still be done just remember easier if not a local account.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    Rocker said:
    @TTony simple requirements, on PC only. No other devices. No calendar. A Spam blocker would be a big benefit. Lots of replies suggest Thunderbird. I will check this out when the computer is returned.
    What email service are you using?

That's by far the most important question.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    Sporky said:

AOL?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24649
    I've been using Gmail for years, but I still hate the way they use "labels" instead of proper folders.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27949
    Sporky said:
    Rocker said:

That's by far the most important question.
    Using my admin super-powers, I'm assuming that his current email is provided by his internet provider.

If so, I'd suggest that that's not the best approach @Rocker.  If you change your internet provider for any reason, you have to tell everyone what the new address is, and hope that they all update their records correctly.

I've had a Hotmail account since the late '90s, gmail since whenever Google launched that service, and others that are tied to domains that I own.  Hence guaranteed continuity of accessibility and no ties to any other service that I might want / need to change.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    Oh if we count work then I use Lotus Notes but I would sooner chop my arm off than recommend that to anyone. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've been using Gmail for years, but I still hate the way they use "labels" instead of proper folders.
    Why bother filing anything, just search.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ