Help, wrap around issue, what to use?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    Can't post pictures but I've changed my avatar to a more full frontal view
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    The underlying issue in this question (and multiple threads) has been string to polepiece alignment. The question that has not been asked is, what make/model of dog ear P90 is fitted to the OP guitar? 

One of my guitars that got away was a Gordon-Smith GS-1. This had a plain topped wraparound bridge with the studs set for compensation. It arrived with 009-042 strings. I almost immediately changed these to 010-046 but recall making little or no change to the grub screw fine adjustments.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Pickup is a Bare Knuckle Nantucket, the strings, where they are now, align through the polepieces and just as importantly have great alignment down the neck.....

http://i.imgur.com/OX85pV7.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Thanks @sawyer when you get in from work, could you confirm that each of your tail stud centres are in line with the sides of the pickup please?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I agree with you that your string alignment is all good.

I agree with ICBM that the strings emerge through your current bridge too far towards the high E side of the neck.

The alignment correction that you have had to cut notches to achieve demonstrates that something ain't right about the current bridge/tailpiece. Presumably, it is not the item recommended by sawyer/GSPBASSES. 

edited August 2017
    Agreed on all counts @Funkfingers ; I dont think a specific bridge was recommended when I got it, which was a few years ago.......I'm loathe to spend £40 plus on a plain tail like @sawyer if it wont deffo do the job......although gut feeling is it probably will......I'll see if @sawyer is able to check where his studs aline with the pickup on his and take it from there.....however there is a Badass knockoff in the mail amyway to give a try...

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader

People do make this sound complicated, before you spend any money, take the strings of the guitar. Put masking tape on the body behind the pickup back past the post. Using a good straightedge strike line from the nut on the low E through the pole piece and draw a line ( not on the finger board) on the masking tape. Do the same for the high E, then put the bridge back on the posts. If the two outer holes on the back of the bridge ( not the front ) are not in line with the lines you've just drawn then the poster are in the wrong place. If the posts are in the wrong place, the chances of finding a replacement bridge with enough adjustment to put it right I believe will be very slim. If there is a misalignment, you are more than welcome to send the guitar back to me and I will rectify the problem.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    The holes are offset. I doubted it was right at the time but everything lined up as if by magic. If you send me your email  address I'll send you pictures of mine in the raw before assemblywhich shows clearly the position of holes. I can send you pics of finished guitar with a straight edge positioned along neck also if you wish. Check out pictures of genuine vintage examples they all offset.
    edited August 2017

GSPBASSES said:

If there is a misalignment, you are more than welcome to send the guitar back to me and I will rectify the problem.

Can't say fairer than that.

The Making & Modding iteration of this topic stated that the guitar started as a kit. The need to divert all six strings towards the low E string side suggests a possible neck joint alignment issue.
    edited August 2017

GSPBASSES said:

If there is a misalignment, you are more than welcome to send the guitar back to me and I will rectify the problem.

Can't say fairer than that.

Nope, thanks Grahame!.....
    My Stud holes are not offset side to side but are front to back....

edited August 2017
    I suppose the million dollar question @GSPBASSES is what bridge should I have used? It occurs to me that if the current bridge is designed to be at 90 degrees to the strings, then if mounted offset the the holes on the back will never line up?

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    I suppose the million dollar question @GSPBASSES is what bridge should I have used? It occurs to me that if the current bridge is designed to be at 90 degrees to the strings, then if mounted offset the the holes on the back will never line up?
    Interesting question and statement, I do not think these bridges are meant to be at 90 degrees to the strings, although I carry those bridges in stock, I've never actually built guitar with one, but my understanding is they should go on to stagger posts. This should improve the Internation, whether it does or not I do not know, it is very debatable whether it actually does, I'm sure there are people on here who will let us know one way or the other. The offset posts positions I use should work with most bridges. If it's a custom guitar I'm making, I always enquire what bridge is going be used so I can make sure the posts are set correctly for that bridge. The LPJ's I make for general sales have the post to take a standard wrap over bridge that Gibson use.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

Thanks Grahame 2 GSPBASSES....

The Gibson "lightning bolt" wraparound bridge is designed to be installed on studs located equidistant from the scale length datum point, the nut. This enables it to be used in combination with some of Gibson's nastier vibrato tailpieces. It is associated with the lower-priced versions of the Firebird, SG and Melody Maker.

http://i.imgur.com/n77teui.jpg?1