Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the dress code at your work and what do you wear?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33945
    WezV said:
    we do have one weird stipulation in our "smart casual" dress code.   Shorts are allowed as long as they are tailored.   I could never bring myself to wear tailored shorts so that's a no go.

There is a certain type of Aussie bloke- usually in his 60's who. takes to wearing tailored shorts and tall, thick, grey woollen socks with Blundstone boots and a tucked in shirt and brown belt.
    Usually the gentleman in question will have a beard too.

I look forward to embracing this look in 15 years or so.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 535
    Clarkson look (shirt, smart jeans, jacket) if I'm just in the office, suit and shirt in front of a customer (very occasionally a tie for Financial Services types).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited August 2017
    Nope!

Unless you're actually doing manual labour, rolled up shirt sleeves is a proper no-no. Just makes you look like a wannabee "hands-on kinda guy", i.e. a bit of a twunt.
    That twunt would be me then. Rolled up sleeves for me every day (well, unless it's bloody freezing). Not sure what the 'hands-on' thing is supposed to mean but whatever floats your boat.

Usual garb at my workplace (shirt, trousers, shoes etc) which I still have trouble getting accustomed to after five years of office work. Unfortunately I just find wearing shirts really uncomfortable. Thank fuck for Fridays.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited August 2017
    At work I wear a pair of jeans or shorts, a band t-shirt and listen to Autopsy - thats right everyone, predictabely I am self employed and so work for myself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6409
    edited August 2017
    Used to be pretty strict - dark suit, red or blue tie, white shirt, no facial hair (for like 100yrs or more).

Recently it's all gone to mayhem - some jeans wearing "creative" types ....

I usually wear a suit with no tie and have a variety of white and patterned shirts. Tie for a formal client meeting, maybe ... depends.

Wife's cousin is a Saville Row tailor, so I've got a multitude of suits to choose from

I like having a work "uniform" - so when I change there's a clear break.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4759
    Jeans with a shirt somehow puts me in mind of Jeremy Clarkson, something which no one should be subjected to.
    Many people say that I remind them of Clarkson but I take it as a bit of a compliment.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Grunfeld said:
    octatonic said:
     but I don't want to be underdressed for the role.

Shirts.  Rolled up sleeves.
    Dark colours.

Works very well.
    FYI  Debenham's sizes come up large.  Eg your regular 16.5 everywhere else in the world is a 16 from Debenhams.
    That's it.  My entire knowledge of clothing, here in this thread. 

Wis for shirts with rolled up sleeves. Not sure about wis for Dbenhams though.

Short sleeved shirts are the work of the devil. Spending on the style they either make you look like a shit surfer, or a middle-management engineer circa 1998.
    Nope!

Unless you're actually doing manual labour, rolled up shirt sleeves is a proper no-no. Just makes you look like a wannabee "hands-on kinda guy", i.e. a bit of a twunt.
    But it beats the utter wrongness-icity of short sleeved shirts.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    rlw said:
    Jeans with a shirt somehow puts me in mind of Jeremy Clarkson, something which no one should be subjected to.
    Many people say that I remind them of Clarkson but I take it as a bit of a compliment.
    You shouldn't! ;)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4375
    Jalapeno said:
    Used to be pretty strict - dark suit, red or blue tie, white shirt, no facial hair (for like 100yrs or more).

I usually wear a suit with no tie and have a variety of white and patterned shirts. Tie for a formal client meeting, maybe ... depends.

Wife's cousin is a Saville Row tailor, so I've got a multitude of suits to choose from

I've heard the suits from Savile Row are better ;)

Out of interest, which house does he make for? Is he a cutter or an actual tailor? 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    This could be the right look for you for your new role

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    This is what I wear

That's @Bridgehouse I'm holding, he's so cute.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    This is what I wear

That's @Bridgehouse I'm holding, he's so cute.

Well....
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @RandallFlagg  I have updated my profile pic accordingly.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7704
    octatonic said:
    TimmyO said:
    octatonic said:
    Now I'm about to join the ranks of the gainfully employed I need to think about clothes for work.
    I've been told it is informal there- some people are in shirts and jeans, some in t-shirts and jeans and some people in shorts and t-shirts.
    Generally the higher up you are the more formal people dress.

I'm thinking of doing t-shirts and jeans, probably long sleeve as I'm heavily inked but wondering if I should dress up a bit more.

What is the dress code at your job and do you overdress or underdress for it?

not trying to be awkward but it only really matters what the atmos is like *there*. It's clearly not a stuffy corporate, so all bets are off.

Given what you've said I'd probably go shirt and jeans day one, and promptly drop back from there if it seemed more appropriate. 

What sort of place/industry is it? 
    I'm working for an audio company- they make mixing desks and studio gear.
    in that case, day 1, clothes. Day 2 onward, stay in your PJs :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33945
    TimmyO said:
    octatonic said:
    TimmyO said:
    octatonic said:
    Now I'm about to join the ranks of the gainfully employed I need to think about clothes for work.
    I've been told it is informal there- some people are in shirts and jeans, some in t-shirts and jeans and some people in shorts and t-shirts.
    Generally the higher up you are the more formal people dress.

I'm thinking of doing t-shirts and jeans, probably long sleeve as I'm heavily inked but wondering if I should dress up a bit more.

What is the dress code at your job and do you overdress or underdress for it?

not trying to be awkward but it only really matters what the atmos is like *there*. It's clearly not a stuffy corporate, so all bets are off.

Given what you've said I'd probably go shirt and jeans day one, and promptly drop back from there if it seemed more appropriate. 

What sort of place/industry is it? 
    I'm working for an audio company- they make mixing desks and studio gear.
    in that case, day 1, clothes. Day 2 onward, stay in your PJs :-) 
    LOL.
    Enjoying your retirement, Timbo? :)
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited August 2017
    Usually one of these if the mood strikes 

https://s26.postimg.org/ah0ryl209/raincoat.jpg

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6409
    CHRISB50 said:
    Jalapeno said:

Out of interest, which house does he make for? Is he a cutter or an actual tailor? 
    :s

He owns Cad & The Dandy with a partner.  He's actually an accountant, but has been trained in, and does cutting.  They've done really well - launched their business in the middle of the banking crisis and gone from strength to strength.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    There is no dress code where I work. Hasn't stopped top management referring to it.

The expectation is clearly that one wear suit/tie. There are still a couple of guys about who rock a bow tie every day. Ties are dying a death at work generally, though.

Me? I'll wear a suit when I feel it is right, a meeting once in a blue moon, or were external client contact ever to eventuate. I dress so badly, I think the well-dressed folks have absolutely no idea what I'm doing there. I occasionally see contractors in the canteen wearing band shirts with long hair, tatts, beards and piercings. Pretty sure the Armani crowd think I'm with them. Water-cooler goss is that many work in jeans and T-shirts, change into a suit for lunch, and change back afterwards. 
    CHRISB50 said:
    Wikipedia is hilarious:

"The short street has been termed the "golden mile of tailoring", where customers have included Charles, Prince of Wales, Jude Law, Winston Churchill, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Laurence Olivier, Duke Ellington, Lord Nelson and Napoleon III.[1][2][3]"

:lol:

Whenever I wear my Savile Row suit (it ain't often, see above) I get appreciative comments. I never let on that I bought it for £2.50 in a Black Country charity shop for my first work experience placement when I was 14.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4375
    Jalapeno said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Jalapeno said:

:s

He owns Cad & The Dandy with a partner.  He's actually an accountant, but has been trained in, and does cutting.  They've done really well - launched their business in the middle of the banking crisis and gone from strength to strength.
    Sorry couldn't resist :)

Ah ok. I know of them. They do seem to have done well. I guess they have the address, and affordable prices, so they will attract clientele. 

Do do you know where their suits are made? For the price I would presume India or the Far East. 

@DLM that's a steal! My first suit was the same. I found a Savile Row made suit in a charity shop, then had it taken apart and reconstructed for my size and shape by a tailor. It's a good way to get a nice suit for next to nothing.

Sorry for the derail!  

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @CHRISB50 When I started my first job after uni, all three of my suits were charity-shop specials for under £6 a pop. And I was walking into what was basically a high-dollar fashion show, every day. This was pre-tech-bubble burst, and the firm was doing really well. The car parks (at the sites that had them) were jammed with flash sports cars. I heard several staff members criticise the CEO because she "only" drove an SLK. They weren't bright enough to realise that her actual power statement was the parking space she had for it: right outside the front door, in the Square Mile.