Ebay scam again

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Also apologies to anyone who entered details. I though it was pretty obvious that it was phishing and reported it before posting here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just the title was a give away - it was a genuine ebay listing....
  • As appeared in the search. Quite hilarious.

photo C6E7FBEB-15C6-4143-A055-220DB83E8646_zpsj8vecbf5.png

And the listing. I'm viewing in ebay mobile so the phishing link first show up until you hit description.

photo 997B6B57-52B6-444E-89A7-164378E3CBAB_zpshwhnslur.png

Again I can only apologize to anyone who actually fell for it. Usually when this kind of thing pops up on here enough people report the listing and get it pulled quick.

• This only showed up on the mobile app if you requested the description:

photo AD3AB544-F639-4438-A21F-67DE1D5ECFF9_zpsrugozdce.png
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2014
    This only showed up on the mobile app if you requested the description:

photo AD3AB544-F639-4438-A21F-67DE1D5ECFF9_zpsrugozdce.png

BTW, all links on the login were live and were to Ebay (I checked them before the OP was edited). The Phishing scam was behind the login page and was in the form of "re-enter your name and  password"

"At this point the only way you can tell that this page is a scam is by looking at the URL syntax at the top of the page. Many people would not catch the mistake here unless they work in a web design or a tech field."

http://auctionsitenews.com/ebay-scam-alert/

I think we established beyond all doubt, at post 7, the level of my stupidity in falling for the login  (but thankfully not for the next link).
    Van_Hayden - I don't want the forum to ban you just because your link was straight to the fake login in page :-O   , no matter how astonishing that now seems. (I think I might have noticed that the previous page was drawn by a 5 year old child) . In fact I forgive you (no harm done).   :)
    And you have saved me from the title of Most Stupid Action Taken Online By A Fretboard Forum Member In The Last 24 Hours.

• @skipped true that tittle belongs to me. The link was generated through the ebay app, and linked direct to the title page in the app when I checked it back. I didn't open it in a browser. I'll be clearer next time....
  • And ebay don't help themselves. Same seller different item same scam. Don't click on anything.

photo AC106835-4E07-4632-B47F-23DD0436B82E_zpsejt9xkkk.png
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    That's quite scary if you don't know to check the URL - in fact, if you have the Toolbar hidden in Safari you wouldn't see it at all, I'm not sure what other browsers are like - or aren't suspicious that you're being asked to log in straight away. I could imagine that catching a lot of people.

(I *always* display the Toolbar and the URL by the way, and the link address bar at the bottom. I don't know why these are even optional.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• What bugs me is I can't list a Boss pedal without ebay thinking it's a fake item yet this guys putting links to a malicious site within an ebay listing!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    The first mistake you're making there is selling anything on Ebay.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    ICBM said:
    The first mistake you're making there is selling anything on Ebay.
    Can't argue with that.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    For that postage price, it must be for a photograph of said guitar.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I saw this earlier, my virus software wouldn't even let me open the listing!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 439
    Same scam back again. Item number

I'll not link to it this time....

How do they get these through??

I've reported it - more the better.