Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I've finally got a "music room"

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27948
    That's better @Octatonic.  Looks like the guitar stand has an upgraded occupant too!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ordered the 3 guitar stand by Hercules with extra attachment. Already have a mini stand for one guitar so can hold 5 which is what I have. 

@octatonic  do the sound panels behind your speakers have a huge effect?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    edited September 2017
    Ordered the 3 guitar stand by Hercules with extra attachment. Already have a mini stand for one guitar so can hold 5 which is what I have. 

@octatonic  do the sound panels behind your speakers have a huge effect?
    They are rockwool panels wrapped in canvas.
     They affect the room acoustics by adding mass- so yes they have an effect but I wouldn't say it is huge.
    It isn't an acoustically designed room so you are always going to be at a bit of a disadvantage.
    My upcoming change will hopefully be moving into a space that is acoustically designed (basically an extension to the house),  or moving the studio out to a commercial space again.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    edited September 2017
    Think they behave like bass traps - The Studio S-O-S guys would have them in the corners, and a sheet of foam behind monitors/speakers because .... well I've no idea really - but that's what they always seem to do (please don't explain it chaps )
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited September 2017
    Jalapeno said:
    Think they behave like bass traps - The Studio S-O-S guys would have them in the corners, and a sheet of foam behind monitors/speakers because .... well I've no idea really - but that's what they always seem to do (please don't explain it chaps )
    I have corner traps in other parts of the room.

The reason (to explain it for the others) is bass builds up in the corners due to it having higher pressure.
    You get a lot of build up where the floor meets the two walls and where the ceiling meets the two walls.
    For this reason you should never put speakers in that location unless you have no other choice and can compensate with some bass roll off in your monitoring chain.

If the above room was my permanent mix space then I'd do something like this:

But I'm not going to spend a lot of money on room acoustics for a temporary space.

You can spend a lot of money on acoustics- to do a room properly is around £8-10k to build it into an existing space- that is to get it 'relatively' flat to about 70hz.
    I did this in my studio in Switzerland and again in New Jersey- it was basically dead money both times as I couldn't take it with me when I moved.
    To get down to 50hz or 30hz then you are looking at adding a lot more mass and spending a lot more money, especially once you get into isolation, rather than just acoustical treatment.

I know one studio spent over £100k on acoustic treatment- it sounded amazing in there.

For about half that you can get Tube Traps which look like this:

Which will get you 80% of the way there and has the advantage of being able to be moved to a new room.
  • Jesus all that is pretty hardcore!
    edited September 2017
    Not necessary unless you are trying to produce release quality music.
    More indépendant recording and mixing engineers are having to invest in this sort of stuff though.

The increasing amount of cottagisation of the recording industry means that there are far fewer large studios about.
    So many people work from rooms like mine- that are essentially mix rooms than can cope with a bit of overdubbing.
    So people need a workable acoustical solution than can be moved- the Tube Traps thing is a good choice.
    I know that Billy Gould of Faith No More has a set in his studio.
  • Look forward to seeing all your final solutions.. This is very cool!
  • octatonic said:
    What's a good guitar rack? Those expensive Hercules ones?
    Hercules ones are fine.
    I prefer to wall mount guitars- I use String Swing mounts.
    It's cheaper to hire more rhythm guitarists
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ