Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Squirrel.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 3117
    We had a dead one in the garage, I think a cat had dragged it in through the back door. Bigger than you think when they're laid out.
    blobb said:
    I watched one of our cats eat a squirrel a few weeks ago. Head first, chomp, shoulders, chomp, torso, chomp, skillful maneuver around the gall bladder, chomp...then left. Probably had enough squirrel by that point. Other cat moves in, chomp, backside, chomp, thighs, chomp, knees, chomp. Then got up and walked away with two feet and a bushy tail hanging out of her mouth to sit next to the other cat wondering what the inferior humans were looking at. Chomp.  
    Our old dog found a dead rat on the park and ran around with it, the head sticking out one side of his mouth, the tail the other. He was normally fine at recall and would drop stuff but not this bloody rat - like he'd won a Jack Russell lottery. He ran around for ages, freaking out the odd child until eventually he dropped it and I could grab him. 
    Ha! Yes. My spaniels were brought up around cats so they tended to act in a similar way. One of them used to pick up the occasional dead mouse left, no doubt, by a cat who wanted to make a point. He liked to suck the insides out, leaving behind a novelty mouse sleeping bag. I saw the other one spot a dead pigeon the cats had finished with. He looked at me, looked at the pile of entrails on the drive, looked back at me then, decision made, scoffed the whole thing in the blink of an eye before I could get to him. All that was left was feathers, beak and a guilty expression. Fair game for a Spaniel. The cats used to go up to them and punch them in the face occasionally just to make sure they knew their place. Of course, a feeble feline is no match for a spaniel in a fight. But Cats don't go along with such nonsense. I'm starting to like cats.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • my fave pic I shot of a squirrel. I love watching them.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • my fave pic I shot of a squirrel. I love watching them.

Thats awesome! The image itself is as pleasing as the quality of it!!!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I much prefer squirrels to cats. The neighbours have started to notice their cats have been going missing so it's just as well.
    Squirrel was one of the words suspected Nazi parachutists were made to pronounce. The theory being that if they said 'sqverrel', they must be Nazis.
    I would've thought the parachute trailing behind them would be the giveaway.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just to say that around this time of year baby squirrels start to leave the nest and often get into trouble.

If you do find one that has become separated from its mother and want to help, do not on any account call the the RSPCA as that organisation will euthanise any grey squirrel they get, even if it is perfectly healthy. The same goes for pigeons and just about any wildlife from my information.

Instead contact a local squirrel rehabber or wildlife rescue organisation/animal sanctuary. Baby squirrels need a calcium rich diet and their release back into the wild needs to be carefully handled. You can't just drop them off in the woods, especially greys in areas populated by red squirrels.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    RSPCA  is like a death camp for Animals...... never take anything to them
    there are many other rescue organisations 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Vermin, Fawlty!

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Tree rats .. bloody evil things .. we have loads of them. They totally trash trees. I've had to have several cut down due to squirrel action.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • If a young grey squirrel gets lost..... I would leave it and let nature take it's course. If it doesn't find its way back it will provide food for some other animal or bird of prey, as nature intended.

There are millions of greys about. Let the Reds rise up again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If a young grey squirrel gets lost..... I would leave it and let nature take it's course. If it doesn't find its way back it will provide food for some other animal or bird of prey, as nature intended.

Then raise the scarlet standard high
    Beneath it's folds we'll live and die
    Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer
    We'll keep the red flag flying here. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

Would you say that if you saw a stray puppy or kitten?

Would you say that if you saw a stray puppy or kitten?

No because they are domesticated, not wild. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    edited September 2017
    @EricTheWeary shouldn't that be over here?  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/113912/labour-party-conference
    Although I did get your jest 

They look like tiny little kangaroos. Think tiny Skippy.
  • Nitefly said:
    @EricTheWeary shouldn't that be over here?  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/113912/labour-party-conference
    Although I did get your jest   
    Not seen that as I've blocked SC. 

Freedom for Tooting! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    In fairness to the greys, if the reds were such fussy eaters insisting on pine cones only, then maybe they'd be more of them...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>