Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot
1121314151618»

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5878
    I think the Starfleet Acadamy series is going to be a Disco spin off, so perhaps Tilly, Saru and Lance have ongoing roles? 

SNW not till next year sadly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    Very disappointed in the Finale but it was wallowing in its own box ticking agenda, painfully PC on every level without the lever writing to lessen the being hit over the head with a hammer tendency 
    sweepy said:
    Very disappointed in the Finale but it was wallowing in its own box ticking agenda, painfully PC on every level without the lever writing to lessen the being hit over the head with a hammer tendency 
    This feels like those magic eye pictures all over again. So many people talk about this being the front and centre issue with Trek and I just can’t see it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27661
    edited June 4
    I haven’t watched Disco since season 3, but Star Trek was “woke” from that start. It’s honest quite tragic that so many people haven’t understood that… 

Frankly that’s half of what sci-fi is for 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24797
    sweepy said:

Can't beat subtle writing...

I WANT TO BUY:
    Fairfield "The Accountant" Compressor Pedal.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12312
    dazzajl said:
    sweepy said:
    This feels like those magic eye pictures all over again. So many people talk about this being the front and centre issue with Trek and I just can’t see it. 
    Agree completely - I don't get it.

Which element of the episode was PC?  The plot was...
    • Burnham is in the portal with Moll.
    • Rayner has to keep the Breen busy until Burnham can contact him.  In the end they jump the Breen to the edge of the galaxy.
    • Saru flies a shuttle to face down with the Breen, wins.
    • Book is concerned about Burnham so goes to help her in a shuttle, Culbur goes with him and a bit of retained knowledge from his experience earlier in the season helps out.
    • Burnham figures out the very easy puzzle which Moll screws up, finds the technology.
    • Burnham convinces Starfleet to let her destroy the technology as the universe is teeming with life anyhow.
    • Saru's wedding (ahhh!).
    • Turns out Kovich was Daniels from Enterprise
    • Bit at the end that's a nice end bit, Starfleet is big again.
    None of that was PC - so are we talking about incidentals here?

Culbur kissing his husband goodbye?
    Adira being there still and still called "they"?

It sometimes comes across that there is an undercurrent with all this of "I don't mind LGBTQ people existing, but don't like being reminded of it when having my tea..."

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16919
    edited June 14
    I'm just staring the last series and I absolutely love that they are expanding on the progenitor story line.

I always thought that was one of the cleverest TNG two parters, even though it seems often forgotten.  It was an obvious attack on the inherent daftness of racism, whilst also giving a good explanation why every alien we see in trek is distinctly humanoid. And a good mystery along the way as they piece the puzzle together.

I guess the original TNG would be one of those things considered woke these days... just like this new series.

My big criticism so far is that the original story was a 2 parter seperate from everything else TNG, but the story and message within that.    They seem to want a whole series to do the same thing this time. Is that why it's coming across as dull?
    It’s not even a two part story. Seems like it should have been because it packs a lot in but it’s all done and dusted in under 50 minutes. 

And it does seem that having a single story arc over the whole series is much harder to pace than the episodic approach of SNW. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16919
    Is it not..  I remember it as a two parter but I guess you are right. 

Just goes or show how much TNG got right.  Lots of bad episodes we can forget, but one good one stays with you forever